少女終末旅行: Chapter 7 Discussion

Ugh…I’m behind again…too busy lately…hard to be motivated to stay up late and read to stay caught up…

wondering how this works…

Page 125

燃やしゃしないよ
I understand she says that she won’t burn (his maps)…but I don’t understand how this little ya works in the verb conjugation…can one of the sempais explain please :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s a slurred は particle.

Don’t worry too much about being a little bit behind, it’s almost the end! (Don’t stop, though :p)

4 Likes

slurred は…hmm…so I guess (heck I know I am) just too tired…please bear with me…

The verb is 燃やしす correct? (to burn)

so am I understanding this correctly it’s basically shortened (grammar police would have a fit)…
it’s like 燃やし but she’s lazy and dropped the す (dictionary form)…and then slurred a や in there…

so in English it would be something like:

Burn?
I don’t do that (you know)

grammar is hard enough and then the informal stuff is extra challenging…getting overwhelmed …arg I won’t quit…but I don’t think I’m going to try to take the next book for the Beginner club…probably have to admit defeat and go down a level and do the absolute beginner. I don’t really want to, but I think I may not have a choice…the next book has so much to read…if it’s anything like this I’m in trouble :dizzy_face:

1 Like

The verb is 燃やす. When you have masu-stem + はしない, it emphasizes the negation to something like “I’d never burn stuff/the maps”.
See stackexchange

7 Likes

thank you…haven’t seen this grammar before either…so much to learn… :sleepy:

1 Like

It sounds strange to “admit defeat” when you have basically made it to the finish line. It’s sounds more like a “narrow victory”. If you already have the next book, you could give it a try and see how it goes :slight_smile: nothing to lose.
If you do not have it, then it’s indeed the right time to change gear. Then again, in my experience, things do get easier with time, so it would also make sense to push forward.

But now you have :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I do have the books (actually ordered all of them). Figured I’d read them eventually. What you folks don’t see is how hard I’m struggling to get through this and how long it’s taking me to get to understanding. I’ve been struggling with more than 70% of it. But then again, it doesn’t surprise me, given a lot of it is N4 grammar (per bunpro anyway)…and I’m still only at 103 of 106 of the N5…I started this when the introduction of the book clubs were similar and the folks updated them because I whined about it… hehe oops…but I do think it will be helpful to those coming along now. I wasn’t ready to be thrown in the deep end…will definitely be a narrow victory for sure! I’ll finish…eventually! :slight_smile:

True…and it is getting easier as I study more…it’s still tough though. I have looked at the other book and don’t have a good feel for if it’s actually easier or on par with the same difficulty as this one. If it’s the same difficulty, I’ll have to hold off…I am at the office 10-12 hours a day … so I’m using late nights to try to do this…I can’t think very clearly at this hour … and then to try to figure out new/hard stuff…it’s the recipe for frustration…ask me how I know… hehe…if it weren’t for all the help on here I would have given up in Ch1. :wink:

Ok…so another question…I’ve been trying to figure out how on earth to parse this…I know it was discussed previously, but maybe I’m just too tired…I’m posting and getting some sleep…

Page 125

I can’t figure out how the literal translation becomes natural sounding English…

めったに人に会う This one I have… rarely people meet
こともない世界じゃ thing not exist world then???
他にすべき In addition/Besides (I) should do
こともない thing not exist…

I saw this

I think こともない this is an expression ?? (nothing happens) but I don’t see anything anywhere and get stuck parsing this as pieces…

I’m not sure what it is that is making this particular bubble so difficult for me…but I can’t get to the English translation:

Maybe tomorrow after some sleep and some help I’ll be able to understand how that whole mess turns into something that’s readable in English :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wouldn’t parse it as a set expression. If you leave out べき for a moment:
他にすることもない

他にすること: things to do additionally, other things to do
もない: like がない, aren’t there, do not exist
→ there are no other things to do

Putting the べき back in, you can just replace “things to do” with “things I have to do”
That’s how you get “There are no other things I have to do”.
They translated it kind of liberally to get “I wouldn’t know what else to do with myself”.

Parsing the first part of the sentence:
めったに人に会うこともない世界じゃ
It might help to start from the end of the sentence and determine what nouns are described by a subordinate clause:
There is a world, and that world is described by everything before 世界.
Directly before 世界, we have こともない: a thing that never happens (I think it’s the negated form of ことがある, there are times when X happens → こともない means X doesn’t happen)

The こと from こともない is further described by 人に会う.
人に会うこともない: meeting people doesn’t happen, or taking めったに into account: Meeting people is a thing that rarely happens.

Putting this together with 世界: a world where meeting people rarely happens.
じゃ is a contracted では. 世界では: in a world

All together: “In a world where meeting people rarely happens, (there are no other things I have to do.)”

Hope this helps to see how they got to the English translation :wink:

6 Likes

I am realizing that I don’t like Mr Kanazawa’s bubbles…they are harder to understand…now I’m sure he’s friends with the :crabigator: :laughing: I realize it’s that my Japanese level is just at little kid level and adult speech is harder :face_with_raised_eyebrow: (thinking back to when I was a little kid and you know your parents would spell stuff so you didn’t catch on they were talking about an upcoming surprise/vacation/Disneyland…whatever it was haha) I feel like Mr Kanazawa is trying to spell out words so I can’t understand what he’s talking about.

…what a complicated/compound built up sentence…Your breakdown is fantastic! :bowing_man: :bowing_man: :bowing_man:
I’m guessing that I can’t be the only one that has struggled and/or will struggle. That is…if those other beginners haven’t given up :slight_smile: I’m certain this your explanation will go a long way for many people!

I was definitely tired last night, but even this morning, there is no way I would have been able to get to this level of understanding without your most awesome and clear explanation! Thank you sooooo sooooo soooo much!

There’s now way I could have gotten this far without help from everyone…I will finish!

6 Likes

After reading this, my only gripe is why use different kanji for 登る/昇る. :eyes:

It’s me again (from the future) just wanting to say thank you to everyone for all your amazing work on this chapter, which I’ve just finished. Thank you all so much!

There’s no defeat about it! Sometimes you struggle through something that takes an hour per page, sometimes you find something that you can read a bit faster. No problems at all. Plus, what’s more, just as I’ve found here, the ABBC is a friendly bunch of people and it would be great to see you there!

5 Likes