少女終末旅行: Chapter 3 Discussion

Oh… that wasn’t there already? I could have sworn it was. I guess I must have just looked it up myself rather than reading it off the sheet…

Well, I’ve added it now.

1 Like

I really liked the two page spread in this chapter.

Also, was it me, or did this chapter feel a bit short?

7 Likes

Why, yes - the previous two chapters were twenty pages each, but this one was only eighteen.

6 Likes

I’m starting to feel that everything about this manga is short. The chapters, the text, even the characters are short (嫌いじゃないけど). Anyway, I again regret that I didn’t buy the whole set.

8 Likes

I’ll probably never buy the rest even if I like volume 1. Because it’s such a quick read, I feel like it wouldn’t be worth the money to buy the rest.

2 Likes

But you can reeeeeeread it

5 Likes

I liked this chapter a lot. Have to say that I don’t quite understand how they can possibly find enough fuel to power their tank, nor exactly what their aim in constant travel is, but as I’ve never been in a post-apocalyptic scenario it’s probably not fair for me to judge those who have!

I’m also concerned by the hot water they found. The plant is still running?!

8 Likes

So far, it’s been hunting ressources. I assume that, if they find a place with enough stuff to survive a few years, they’ll probably stay there for a while.

One possibility would be that it’s a nuclear power plant. Even not running, the fuel keeps burning and thus would have to be cooled down. That being said, such water would be stored as nuclear waste, not circulated outside the plant. There could have been a meltdown, though.

3 Likes

That’s the possibility I’m most concerned by! I don’t think all water used in cooling nuclear waste becomes contaminated though, so that aspect seems plausible - it’s just that the building is hardly in good repair, and I can’t imagine many scenarios in which a nuclear plant wouldn’t experience a meltdown if left unattended. We don’t know the nature of how the world ended up in this state though, so it’s possible it was shut down to some extent. I’d have thought a sign saying ‘power plant’ would specify ‘nuclear’, mind you.

Yeah, I suppose it just doesn’t seem like the ratio of fuel/food expended would be worth it. I’d be trying to cultivate food or forage, but we haven’t seen anything that looks like plant growth, nor any animals, so perhaps everything is dead. Happy times!

3 Likes

It kinda seems a bit too cold for any plants to grow as well. So, we have no other people, no plants, and no animals. A bit desolate. It’s a wonder they find enough food to survive at all!

1 Like

You just gotta Stop Worrying and Learn to Love the Nuclear Waste

11 Likes

This is the first time for Wanikani, first time to join a bookclub… I can’t tell you how much I am enjoying it. I wish I’d found this earlier!!!

10 Likes

Thanks for the input, Dr Strangelove.

If it quacks like a shoe, though, it might be a quack doctor…

2 Likes

Slander.

2 Likes

Honestly, I never even notice manga chapter titles, even in English. :sweat_smile: Kinda glad I missed it in this case, or I might not have got as much of a laugh out of it! :smile:

8 Likes

I keep forgetting to read the strip titles in yonkoma manga…

2 Likes

Yeah, I generally have the same problem. However, I need to write the title when I create each chapter’s discussion thread, so kind of unavoidable for me.

6 Likes

I updated the vocab sheet to reflect this. I also read it as ‘certain death’ when I did my first skim through, and I think it makes more sense in context. If she’d said something like “things will become desperate” then I’d be more convinced.

Any objections…?

I confess on second reading, the のに on the end of the sentence makes me falter a bit, though I’m still a fan of “certain death”.

Maybe it’s both? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yeah, I forgot that I’d avoided @QuackingShoe’s spoilered comment up above when I first read through the thread (I had the same question as ninjaflautist90). I’ve changed it back :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like