少女終末旅行: Chapter 1 Discussion

Jeez, really? I suppose that’s the trend/what’s popular nowadays, for better or for worse >_>

Separately, the vocab list that was put together was really helpful for me to reference. I decided to try and translate the dialogue to test my own reading comprehension after I finished the chapter.

Any thoughts if that would be detrimental in the long run? Would it be better to just try to “learn it/comprehend in Japanese” and try not to translate into English? Maybe a mental mix of the two?

3 Likes

I think this is perfectly fine. Over time you’ll want to do this less and less, but there’s nothing wrong with doing it as needed.

1 Like

Wow, and Kino’s Journey features a motorcycle, I’m anticipating reading a lot about vehicles in the book clubs for the foreseeable future

7 Likes

Good advice! As you suggested, I’ll likely do it now as I’m starting out, then try and graduate from doing so moving forward. Thank you!

2 Likes

Finished the 1st chapter too. Even if the dialogues are really simple for now, I’m happy to see how much I could immediately understand. I only had to stop 2 or 3 times I think to look up what a word meant or analyze what they were saying exactly ^^’

The introduction to the characters and the world they live in is really well done. The contrast between the girl’s relative cheerfulness and the desolate world they live in is one of the thing I love the most about this manga in general and this first chapter manages really well to show this contrast in the first few pages imo.

4 Likes

I, too, have joined the users who finished this weekly reading.
It was satisfactory, albeit short. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Also finished chapter one. Vocabulary was easy but I need more work on sentence parsing. I get the grammar but need to practice breaking things down. Any tips on how to go about this. I should probably just write things down and chop up the clauses.

Only thing I didn’t get

What was チト doing with her hand in ユーリ’s mouth on page 12? Seems a bit excessive to stop here from snoring.

1 Like

She was eating her hand.

6 Likes

ah もっちゃもっちゃ=omnomnom

4 Likes

Wow, y’all weren’t kidding when you said it’s very Blame! like. Very atmospheric, and a nice contrast to trying to slog through a light novel or something like that.

Nice choice, team!

5 Likes

Also they talked about not eating food right before going to sleep, didn’t they? They were on their last cans of soup, so they were probably rationing while they were in the giant underground structure thing. It seemed like they had been down there a while, unless I’m misinterpreting it and Yuu is just very forgetful.

4 Likes

And here I thought the appropriate word was rapport :confused::confounded::exploding_head::upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

Okay, now I should read the chapter and actually learn some Japanese.

4 Likes

That’s what I got from the scene. Definitely the cutest part.

I really enjoyed chapter one.

1 Like

I read the chapter again shh don’t tell anyone today! \o/ Well it was quick:D I don’t really get the, maybe, wordplay on the 7th page with 穴があったら入りたい. Jisho says it means “(to be ashamed enough) to wish you could just disappear​”, but was it used literally or something?.. And the phrase before it about the “old words”? I don’t get that bit really D:

3 Likes

I think the bit before means something like “Isn’t there an old saying about this too” (translating 言葉 freely here)
And then she mentions this saying that’s mostly used metaphorically (I suppose), and in the speech bubble after that Chi responds そういう意味の言葉だっけそれ (are you sure that’s what the saying is supposed to mean) because Yuu used it literally.

At least that’s what I thought.

12 Likes

Ah, that makes more sense, thanks!

1 Like

I have a question about page 6 (ebook page 8):

あの穴に入ってみようと言ってたのは誰ですか

Without the か I would translate it as Who said that we should try and go into this hole?
But I do not understand what the か adds to it… Is it とか (for example)? Would that then change the meaning to “Who said things like …”?
Or is this volitional + と + something I don’t know, which introduces a fancy new grammar point?
Or is this somehow an embedded question??

2 Likes

It’s とか as in “Who said stuff like ‘we should try entering that hole’”

11 Likes

I meant to say repartee, but I mean I do like their repport too :wink:

4 Likes

The definition of repartee is what I’ve always thought rapport meant lol