小柄 audio sounds off

I don’t usually bother asking others about the WaniKani audio, but 小柄 sounds off to me. It’s supposed to be こがら, but to me it sounds like こばら.

Here is the audio:

https://cdn.wanikani.com/subjects/audio/7665-小柄.mp3

What do you hear?

• こがら
  • こばら
  • ほかの音 (Other)

0 voters

I heard こがら first and I think I can understand how you’re getting こばら.

If you listen to it as ko + gara, you’ll get the right answer. But if I kinda extended the ko sound while waiting for the gara to come, it sounded like bara sometimes. Maybe try listening to it as ko + gara and not as kohhgara (=kobara). :thinking: Not sure if you understood what I meant.

I can’t hear it… :frowning:

1 Like

Haha this is really weird but if I turn my head to the left I can hear こばら and to the right I hear こがら。With headphones it’s clearly こがら though.

3 Likes

It sounds to me like “the dress is blue and black”.

But yeah. Fun digital recording artefacts are the cause of most of the audio woes on the itnernet…

2 Likes

The first time I heard it, I heard こがら clearly. Then, every time I played it after that, it sounded more and more like こばら. Giving it a few seconds and playing it again returns it to こがら. Weird…

2 Likes

Oh, good point. I’m listening on mediocre laptop speakers. I’ll try again with my headphones later!

First time I heard こがら as well, but after listening to it several times it now sounds like こばら.

2 Likes

Mwahaha I’m corrupting you all!

5 Likes

Seeing by his choice in the poll, I can guess that @Borx is only hearing ワンワン

10 Likes

I’m listening to it with headphones right now and if I slowly reduce the volume, at a certain point it seems to switch from こがら to こばら.

1 Like

It sounds like “ワンワン” to me

4 Likes

Headphones.
こがら

Not enough of a plosive to sound like こばら to me.

I don’t understand this topic at all. All I hear in that clip is “yanny.”

3 Likes

Came across another weird one: the audio for 急増 sounds like きゅうじょう rather than きゅうぞう.

Ha, that one I hear correctly as きゅうぞう, but after a few plays I can see how it could sound like きゅうじょう.

I just noticed that tags don’t follow username changes D:

1 Like

Report it on https://meta.discourse.org?

1 Like

It’s funny how we’re always breaking the forums :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

What do you mean?!? It clearly says “laurel.”

1 Like