Incorrect Vocab Reading Audio for 回す

Sounds like あわす instead of まわす

If I try I can hear it the way you’re suggesting, but I hear まわす just fine.

1 Like

Same here.

You might want to read some of these threads:

1 Potentially mistaken reading recording?
2 https://community.wanikani.com/t/平ら-is-read-like-たいら-or-はいら/11390/21
3 来 Pronunciation question

Figured it out: he’s not enunciating enough for a beginner to hear in isolation with no context words. That’s my story and I’m sticking with it.

1 Like

I see where you’re coming from but if it has the same syllabic (which it does) and the other syllables are the same, just assume it’s your listening ability

1 Like

And this is one reason I’m not learning Chinese

1 Like

Right? I figured someday, maybe, I’ll try to learn to read it, but to speak/understand speech…:dizzy_face: Certainly not at the same time as Japanese, at least.

1 Like

Btw, speaking of incorrect readings - is it just me or does 一人暮らし really sound like there is く instead of ぐ there?

Probably not good to ask this in a hijacked topic. If there is useful info brought up maybe nobody will find it.

Okay. I’ve listened to this a ton of times and this is definitely being read あわす and not まわす. I’m not sure what sound file you’re all listening to that makes you think otherwise. When you compare it to the reading of 回る which differs by only one kana it’s quite clear that this is not being pronounced properly.

The audio is correct. The male speaker has a Tokyo dialect, however, which can be confusing for some users. We’re working on some audio changes that should hopefully cut down on this kind of thing.

5 Likes

I can try to offer another explanation: platform specific audio problems. The first few hundred milliseconds aren’t played back properly, so you oy hear 〜あわす

I encountered some audio glitches on WaniKani before, so it wouldn’t surprise me.

3 Likes

I thought the Tokyo dialect was the standard dialect. Wouldn’t we want that? :thinking:

It more or less is but, as mentioned, the pronunciation (in particular the nasal tones) can throw people off. We’re not removing it, just making some changes to hopefully improve clarity. One of those changes is better quality clips, and possibly some more options (for example, male and female audio for each item, things like that).

5 Likes

I think this is the likeliest explanation. The audio for 間に合う (another word that starts with “ma”) is correct, so the 回す audio is likely cut off at the beginning.

It could also be a browser thing to avoid pops in audio that start suddenly. It could be fading the audio in really quickly, but the clip could start so abruptly that the M sound gets dampened enough to make some users think it’s not there, which could also be why some people think it’s fine and others don’t.

2 Likes