大海原と大海原 ・Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea Absolute Beginners Book Club Chapter 1 Thread

Ah thank you for the correction on this! I admit I scanned the article quickly mostly looking for how to make the adjective connective and forgot to look at the nuance of it. I’ll pay more attention going ahead :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Page 17, what does ばふ mean? The only definition I can find is “buff” which doesn’t make sense to me.

3 Likes

This one’s tricky because it’s in what looks like a dialogue balloon, but it’s actually a sound effect. You can see it repeated in the next panel, where it looks more like a sound effect.

3 Likes

So there’s no definition other than the sound it makes? Just to confirm Im understanding.

2 Likes

That is correct.

2 Likes

It’s a sound effect for specifically for diving into bedcovers.

7 Likes

Well now I wonder if the character doing the action is saying it. That would explain it being in a dialogue balloon. (Sometimes manga puts a sound effect in a word balloon when not spoken.)

Edit: After looking at the panel again, I see the character is saying something else. So, I think it is indeed just a loud sound effect here.

3 Likes

Ahh, thank you! That’s what I was looking for.

2 Likes

I don’t think that 's the case. In the rest of the chapter other sound effects are included in similar speech bubbles, and it looks pretty distinct from the dialogue speech bubbles.

4 Likes

Japan gets so specific with sound effects :joy: :joy:

7 Likes

I only loosely understand the meaning of page 21. I’ll just type out what I’m thinking…

Page 21 spoilers

わだっちも やる? 風船()(あそ)

My understand of this is “Wadachi, will you also do/play? …play pop the balloon?”

Then 大海原 says 「い いい」. Does that mean “good” as in “yes I’ll play too”, or is it just a sound that she is making nervously?

Then after メモカ pops the balloon, 大海原 says:

も〜っ いい()(げん)に。。。

I don’t understand the 「も〜っ」 part at all (unless it’s 「持つ」 as in “hold on…”?), and I’m guessing there’s an unfinished sentence after「に」. This must mean something like “that’s irresponsible” or “you’re being irresponsible”.

2 Likes
Page 21

I agree with your interpretation.

My understanting is that she’s nervous and also she’s trying to say いいげんに but she doesn’t manage to finish before the balloon pops.

も~っ comes from もう (with も sound more elongated), and is a very common sound of irritation similar to something like “Geez!” in English. Check meaning number 4 in jisho:

There’s indeed an unfinished sentence after いいげんに. The omitted part is しろ or しなさい, which comes from this phrase that is commonly used to ask someone to stop doing something irresponsible:

In case you are curious, いい加減にしろ literally means “Do things in moderation!”

9 Likes

Thanks! I didn’t expect to have such a definite answer for the rest of an incomplete sentence, but that makes a lot of sense.

4 Likes

Can someone help with the last speech bubble on page 22- Wadanohara’s inner narrative? I feel like I get the jist of it I’m just lost on the multiple "の"s for the sentence structure.

2 Likes

I can’t find a definition for からつ either. Is it the name of the little penguiny dude? (Still page 17)

Edit: No, not a name…so, what am I missing?

3 Likes

So in this case I think its a small つ so it just means her speech is getting cut off after から probably since she’s still waking up.

5 Likes

I took this to be her essentially saying, “I’m good”, as in “No thanks.”. (Then, since she didn’t want to pop the balloon, the other character pops it theirself.)

4 Likes

My translations so someone can correct me if need be.

Page 17

メモカ: Get up!
(Sound of diving into bed covers)
大海原: きゃあ!
メモカ: How long will you sleep?! Get up! Sleepyhead witch!
(More diving into bed covers)
大海原: Sorryyyyyyyyyy
大海原: I understood… I’ll get up now.

Page 18

大海原: Jeez メモカ, Wake me up more gently.
メモカ: Hey, don’t say that. Change your clothes quickly!
(Bang)
大海原:…so, I wonder if I overslept.

4 Likes

Only thing I thought differently is he’s saying something like “What’re you saying?/what’re you talking about?” - feigning innocence in the matter

8 Likes

This is my interpretation of how の works in that sentence.

Page 22

の is often described as a particle to denote possession, as in 私の本 (My book), but in a more general way の takes whatever noun precedes it and turns into into something that describes the noun that follows it.

So 私の本, の is grammatically speaking converting 私 into something that describes an aspect of 本, as in “The book that is mine”. In an example that can be translated more logically to English, 美術の本 is “A book that is about fine arts”.

That’s basically how の is being used in the sentence:

この三人の使い魔たちとの長旅も今日でおしまい。。。

この三人 使い魔たち
Here の is describing 使い魔たち as 三人 => These familiars that are three people.

と => this と is serving the same function as the word “with” in English. => With these familiars that are three people => With these three familiars.

(この三人の使い魔たちと) 長旅

Here の is using all that we have between parenthesis to describe 長旅:

This long trip that I took with these three familiars.

も今日でおしまい => this is basically the predicate that talks about the 長旅 => “will also be over by today”.

EDIT: All these “verbs” I used in the translation like “Long trip that I took” or “Familiars that are” are evidently not part of the actual sentence, and they are simply implied by the nouns that are being connected. e.g., a trip is something you “take”, and “familiars” is something people can “be”.

6 Likes