大海原と大海原 ・Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea Absolute Beginners Book Club Chapter 1 Thread

I read this as - you are forever sleeping

そんなに means “to that extent” or “so much”
So I read this as - to that extent regrettably slept too much maybe ; in more natural English: Did I oversleep that much?

7 Likes

Thank you! I stared at that sentence so long last night, this really helps!

Lastly:

She also says も when describing how it’s about to end- was there some other specific sentence/thing she was comparing it to, or is this likely just a thoughtful “so this trip is also almost over [like so many others before]”?

2 Likes

I haven’t noticed anything specific she’s referring to with her use of the も particle. So far we know very little of the story and motivation of our characters, and clearly the author is aiming mostly for a mysterious atmosphere.

So while it might not be a generic statement, we don’t know what other things that might also end soon can be weighing on her mind. I suspect this is simply one more thing that will become clearer as we go further into the manga.

4 Likes

This font is not user-friendly with the little っ not being so little :neutral_face:
In いつまで you can see that the つ hits all the way to the left of that text line: itsumade

So, looking for it to be scrunched to the right a bit will be the main indicator (rather than it being obviously smaller), however I think that in your example it being below から makes it extra ambiguous. ら looks equally wide to many of the other letters, but seems scrunched to the right when beneath か like in this example:

dakara

The から combo kind of inhibits our main indicator (that the little っ is ever-so-slightly smaller and scrunched to the right of the text line) for us to quickly recognize it in your example.
kara.

Another one to probably look out for is り as it is also to the right a bit:
(didn’t find a particular りっ example though, sorry)
arigatou

Curious, why do you read it this way?

2 Likes

Finally read the last page of this chapter:

Am I correct in thinking that 黒巻さん went to the wrong town? Like she meant to meet the group at Wadanohara’s home but ended up at the wrong one (since Wadanohara sees 2 shrines in the water but 黒巻さん only sees one?).

3 Likes

After finishing the chapter and scrolling through all the very helpful comments ( :pray:) above I still have a few questions:

Page 18: (More of a context/picture question)

I get the overall meaning of そんなに寝すぎちゃったのかなあ but I am a bit confused about Wadanoharas face. Is she wondering, if she overslept? Meaning: is she not sure yet, whether or not she overselpt? Or is she concerened because she DID oversleep and it’s already late?

Page 26:

I am a bit confused about the whole page. But mostly, I don’t understand:
S26
I think she is saying: “Given that they are arriving in the country soon…?”
But then there is a question mark, so I thought, may she is saying: “Shouldn’t they be arriving in the country soon…?”

And regarding the last picture, I have no clue how to interpret it…

Any help would be appreciated! :grinning:

Thanks!

2 Likes

[quote=“Wizz, post:66, topic:53563”]
“Given that they are arriving in the country soon…?”
[/quote]

I took もう here to mean “already” since it looks past tense, so I guess I interpretted it as they were supposed to have been there before her. Previously she had also said いないな (which I thought was an onomatopoeia at first, it is not lol), so I believe she expected them to be there when she got there.

I don’t understand a lot of that particular sentence though, lots of add-on sounds I’m not super familiar with yet.

I do think she cuts her own thought off leading up to the last page, which is her realizing it’s not the witch’s country, and then saying she wasn’t familiar with this sea (though I’m still seeking confirmation on this, I think I’m missing something with the particles being used).

1 Like

Page 18:

The “そんなに” indicates that she’s wondering about the extent to which she overslept. So it’s more like “Did I oversleep by that much?”

Page 26:

着いてしまった is past tense, and I believe てしまう is indicating that she wasn’t really expecting them to have arrived already and is somewhat bothered by it. のでは is likely short for のではないだろうか, which is a phrase that indicates the speaker is expressing a tentative opinion or conjecture. In this case, she’s guessing that they might have arrived. So the meaning is more like “I suppose they’ve already arrived at the kingdom?”

6 Likes

That makes me feel as though I’ve misinterpreted that last page then :rofl:

1 Like

Fwiw, I also interpreted もう to mean “already”, but like Shunrin I thought it indicated that she didn’t expect them to have arrived yet. Or at least that she expected to see them there and is surprised by their absence. Here is my translation for that page (corrections welcome):

Page 26

んー いないな

Hm- they're not here

もう国へ 着いてしまった のでは。。。? ん。。。

Unless they already arrived to the country...? Hm...

。。。やれやれ

Good grief

魔女の国のと 違(ちが)って。。。

Witch's country... that's not right...

(Not sure about the use of と here, but I think the general meaning is right)

慣(な)れないね この海は。。。

I'm not accustomed to this sea...
(topic of "this sea" is clarified at the end)
2 Likes

魔女の国のと 違って。。。
慣れないね この海は。。。

I interpreted のと as marking a comparison of sorts, so she could be saying “this is different from witch’s country… I’m not used to this sea”

4 Likes

This actually makes way more sense! It had seemed off that they were calling Wadanohara’s home 魔女の国 and it just snapped into place for me that that’s where they just left from :woman_facepalming:

Do you think this is a separate thought altogether from the page before?

1 Like

Yeah, と違って is the opposite of と同じで.

2 Likes

Chapter 2 thread is up! There’s a link in the schedule!

6 Likes

I have 1 more question from page 23.

When wadanohara notices the shinto gates she says:
見えてきたよ!

Does this mean “Come and see!” ? Why is she using the intrasitive form of the verb, when clearly the object is the set of gates? And why is くる in th past tense? Is it more like “ See? We came ( we have arrived)”?

Also on the last page can someone more deeply explain のと? Is it anither case of a の chain?
魔女の国のと違って

Is this like と違って acting as a unit that is related to 魔女の国 ?

2 Likes
Page 23

I think the きた here is referring to the fact that the gate has come into view (and thus can now be seen). It’s more of a conceptual come, but it’s a similar idea. The よ at the end implies that it’s a statement marking new information (that the gates that could not previously be seen are now seen). And using the intransitive form because she’s talking about the gate coming into sight, rather than talking about her viewing the gate

Someone can correct me if any of this is wrong, or needs expanding on

Not sure about the additional の though, sorry

3 Likes

Okay that makes a lot more sense that the subject is “the gates”. Its also consistent with what i read that iku and kuru is relative to the speaker, so if they are talking about themselves they wouldnt say kuru while coming somewhere.( i think)

2 Likes

Thanks! I think it makes a lot more sense to translate もう with already.
I hope reading further will clear up the rest! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for such fantastic discussion! I had a busy week and fell behind on my reading, so I stayed out of the thread until I’d finished the chapter yesterday. I don’t think I have any questions that weren’t already answered here. I’m enjoying the book so far!

6 Likes
Last page

This の is used as pronoun, as in something that is replacing a noun, and what it actually refers to comes from context. Take this unrelated conversation for example:

A-san: 私のペンは赤いです => My pen is red.
B-san: 私青いです => Mine is blue

As you can see, the の in B-san’s dialogue is hiding the noun ペン, but it’s clear it can be deduced from context.

This is the same that is happening in the panel we have here.

魔女の国と違って。。。 => Differently from the witch country’s one

So, what noun is this の hiding? We actually find out in the next balloon:

慣れないねこの海は… => I can’t get used to it, this sea.

So basically, the first sentence meant “Differently from the witch country’s sea…”

6 Likes