同じ夜 or 同夜?

Hello everyone. I have an unimportant question!
So there is a song from a girl named DAOKO, named 同じ夜 (the same night) buuuut when I looked for it on Jisho as “the same night” the result was 同夜 and when I searched for 同じ夜 it showed me separate results for 同じ and for 夜.
Sooo can someone explain to me which one is correct (if not both)?
Thanks in advance!

Btw listen to this song is mesmerising!

1 Like

同じ夜 is two words, that’s why it doesn’t have an entry on its own.

You could use 同夜 if you really wanted to, but it’s a Sino-Japanese word, rather than native Japanese, like 同じ夜, so it would sound less natural in conversation, I’d be willing to wager.

This is pretty normal, that you can have a Sino-Japanese compound rather than a native Japanese phrase, but the Sino-Japanese compounds tend to sound literary or formal.

For instance, 隣人 sounds formal, and 隣の人 sounds more like what you’d say in conversation.

4 Likes

Ohhh I get it now. So it’s more natural to say 同じ夜 in the end. Thanks Leebo. And btw I think you live in these forums right? I see you everywhere, helping and/or making fun of everyone. I’ve learned much from you. So thanks a lot!

2 Likes

Well, I’m staying up all night watching golf and they keep showing commercials every 5 minutes, so I’ve got time on my hands.

5 Likes

Ohhhhh, now I get why! :joy: :golfing_man: ________________________ :golf:

lol

5 Likes

Well there might be several people and not one… :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.