Week 9 15 April 2023
Chapter 17 and 18
End page 168
Page count 18
Last week Click!
Next week Click!
Home Thread Click!

Vocabulary

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Discussion Guidelines

Everybody should feel free to post and ask questions–it’s what makes book clubs fun! But please do not post until you are familiar with Spoiler Courtesy!

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Participation

Will you be reading along with us this week?

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m reading this book after the club has finished
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

If you’ve already read this book but are still going to join the discussion, please select “I have read this part.”

7 Likes
thoughts

In which parallel universe is this ever useful? If they didn’t write “便利” there several times, I would think that this is an elaborate prank. Which it probably is.

Komi is really cute in this one, especially when she’s in at-home mode.

some transcriptions

This time it’s Agari doing us dirty

私、古見さんの
犬になれて
幸せです‼

9 Likes

There was a part of chapter 17 that I had a bit of trouble with, so any clarification would be really helpful.

Chapter 17

Ok, on the first panel Najimi is saying something about Komi - and being class president… but I don’t understand what specifically. The construction 収まる器 doesn’t make sense to me…

For the following panel: what does よって mean, is it something as for me/in my opinion? Basically Najimi is requesting that Komi has a higher title, is that it?

And for a bonus…

…what is a 副委員長?

5 Likes
Chapter 17

収まる = to occupy a role (kinda also has the vibe that one is being installed into their rightful place. Technically a different definition of the word, but it fits)

器 = ability; capacity; calibre

Essentially Najimi is saying:

“Komi-san is the type of person to fit in as the class president, isn’t she!?”

よって = therefore; consequently

Assistant class president/vice class president

副 basically just means like an assistant or deputy.

You see it in terms like 副大統領 being the title for Vice President of a country, or 副総理 for Deputy Prime Minister

9 Likes

Thank you! I didn’t know that could have that kind of meaning. Learning something new every day!

Also, really enjoyed this week’s chapters once again. This manga has been a pleasant surprise for me.

7 Likes

Well, it says “It has the feature that you only have to put the phone to your ear to be able to make a call”, right? This is the one and only function I actually expect from a phone, I guess it’s useful it can do that. Having that as your only selling point though does say a lot about the phone too :laughing:

Chapter 17

Is that the way you read it? So, the 「じゃないだろー」 at the end could not be an actual negative?

I read this part as “Komi-san is not the type of person to take the position of (something like) class president!” Because there is also the なんか placed behind class president making me think it has the implication of “such a low position as class president”.

And this would fit what Najimi says next better because Komi should not be the low position of class president but a higher position… Just my thoughts though, might be wrong because I’m still basically a beginner. Either way it’s not that much of a difference.

10 Likes

Funny, because I wouldn’t expect it from a modern cellphone. I would expect to have to click call. Not just have the right contact on screen and then lifting it to my ear (what if I have multiple numbers saved to the same contact, which would it pick?). But then I remembered landlines! And I would expect a dial tone if I lifted such a phone (although it would have no idea if I put it to my ear or not), but not automatically calling a specific person, because they weren’t that sophisticated. I think we had a landline phone towards the end that could store numbers, but even then you had to move to the right saved number and then click the call button, no fancy smancy gyroscope thingy that could notice specific movement that seemed to be putting the phone to an ear.

Ah, what memories. :joy:

6 Likes

Oh no I misunderstood everything! I kinda feel stupid now :sweat_smile: I didn’t think it meant only only putting it to the ear to call someone. I thought it was just a way to say you don’t have to put in the number every time you want to call… I guess then it’s much more un-便利 than I imagined. I think my phone makes the screen go black when I have it near my ear (maybe just through touch, not even gyroscope magic required!) Wait but it doesn’t start the call automatically so it might be more complicated still :thinking: Yeah landline phones, good stuff well maybe not so much nowadays anymore. I think the oldest one I used didn’t have any kind of saveable numbers, I can’t quite remember though. Okay, conclusion: Is it useful to have it automatically call when you put it to your ear? Probably not.

6 Likes

Ah, yeah, no, you’re right. I should have double-checked myself on context before answering the question. I was going off of hazy memory. :joy:

It is an actual negative.

8 Likes