Week 8 8 April 2023
Chapter 15 and 16
End page 150
Page count 18
Last week Click!
Next week Click!
Home Thread Click!

Vocabulary

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Discussion Guidelines

Everybody should feel free to post and ask questions–it’s what makes book clubs fun! But please do not post until you are familiar with Spoiler Courtesy!

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Participation

Will you be reading along with us this week?

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m reading this book after the club has finished
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

If you’ve already read this book but are still going to join the discussion, please select “I have read this part.”

7 Likes
spoiler

These were some very cute chapters.

I was confused when Najimi said something about Komi’s Galápagos phone, then I looked it up:
Galápagos syndrome - Wikipedia

TIL.

This weeks Najimi transcription (god damnit Najimi, speak in furigana please):

スマホに変えたら一緒にゲームしようね

Took me a bit to recognize 変える, but then I promptly felt extremely stupid.

15 Likes

Ah, that’s honestly really interesting. I thought they were just referring to some specific brand of feature phones.

9 Likes

Same! I looked that up when someone said ガラ携 which is just a contraction of that. I love these kind of Japanese naming schemes.

question for p. 142

Tadano thinks なんで溜めたんだろう when Komi tells him she wants to have her friends’ phone numbers. What does this mean? 溜める apparently means to store or accumulate, so the sentence would translate to “Why did you collect them?” and I don’t know what this “them” is referring to; the phone numbers? Thanks for any help :smiling_face:

Edit: Is this なんで meant as a short form of なにで “how” / “by what means” by any chance? Then the question would be “How do you collect them?” which would make a little more sense because she wants to write them down on paper. Just spitballing here though.

8 Likes
p. 142

I’m not sure from where I have this feeling, but I’ve seen 溜まる used as you would “gathering courage” in english, and I think that’s the use here.

なんで here is indeed なにで or 何で and I think he’s asking why she needed to gather courage to say something like that.

Again, I’m not really sure where I got the idea that 溜まる is used in this way, but this is how I read it!

6 Likes
Page 142

溜める has a few more meanings; one of them is to stop. From goo, meaning 6:

とどめる。とめる。=> To stop / to cease.

In the previous panels Tadano watches Komi writing but she suddenly stops and stares at him. That’s why Tadano says なんで溜めたんだろう => “I wonder why she hesitated / stopped there”.

My interpretation is that in reality Komi was trying to ask for Tadano’s number, but she hesitates at the last moment.

9 Likes

I knew it is a phone, but never bother looking the etymology.

More than I think – フィーチャーフォン - Wikipedia

I thought that’s ()(しょ), got honestly confused :joy:

6 Likes

Yep, I don’t think this is the first time even, when a piece of background looks like it belongs to the text

5 Likes

late post, but very cute chapters!

Nothing much to add, except that one panel here contains a super good, very obvious example of something that’s pretty common in manga, but I’ve seen trip people up a lot when they first start reading. Might be useful as a teaching tool at some point so I’m saving it :laughing:

Using dakuten on kana for some kind of emphasis, especially crying. Nice that it contains both the example and an explicit reason for why it’s being written this way

10 Likes