休日 meaning

Does this word mean also vacation, rest and break? Or is it just holiday?

It’s a day when you don’t work (or go to school or whatever your typical thing would be).

A holiday is a 休日 if you don’t work. So is the weekend. But those aren’t 休日 for you if you do work those days.

4 Likes

Thank you
So it’s also a vacation day?

1 Like

Assuming you don’t work on your vacation. It really is as simple as 休みの日. That’s the definition in Japanese.

6 Likes

From Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary

きゅうじつ 休日

Common word | Wanikani level 4

Noun

1. holiday; day off​

Wikipedia definition

1. Vacation​ A vacation or holiday is a specific trip or journey, usually for the purpose of recreation or tourism. People often takes a vacation during specific holiday observances, or for specific festivals or celebrations. Vacations are often spent with friends or family. A person may take a longer break from work, such as a sabbatical, gap year, or career break. The concept of taking a vacation is a recent invention, and has developed through the last two centuries.
1 Like

Thank you, I thought that would be the case.
The word trips me up, I never remember which is it in the app, holiday or vacation.
There’s another one like this the replacement/substitution is only one option as a noun but several as a verb. :unamused:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.