今日のこねこのチー: Vol 1 Discussion

Here’s the link to buy the set of all four books:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/B07CN281ZM/ref=sr_1_5

However, if you have never bought from amazon.co.jp before, you have to keep in mind that there are some hurdles to buying from there. Basically, you need to create a new account (since an amazon.com account won’t work), and your Kindle device will need to be moved to this new account (which means any books you had tied to your previous account will be unavailable).

Here’s a guide on how to set up an account there:

https://community.wanikani.com/t/buying-digital-japanese-books/10603/151

4 Likes

Thank you! I appreciate the help!

3 Likes

You can also buy them from BookWalker which is quite easy (but not compatible with the Kindle physical reader if you are using it):

I forgot to put the links in the first post here and in the book club, I’ll do it right away.

Also: Welcome to the bookclub :slight_smile: Don’t hesitate to ask, we all began somewhere ^^
With @2OC3aOdKgwSGlxfz and @Toyger, we got used to simply commenting on the story but if you need help breaking down sentences or understanding something, we’ll be happy to help :wink:

3 Likes

Honesty, I’m currently trying to read a book at the Beginner level buuutttt. Yeah I need to start from the very beginning. Count me in learned too much Vocab and neglected everything smh!

2 Likes

I haven’t read the original series will I be okay to start with this spin off or is there important information I might be missing?

2 Likes

If you know more vocab than what WK taught you so far, you already are better off than I was when I started reading チーズスイートホーム ^^ I had to ask a lot for help…
Breaking down sentences like was done for the first few volumes of the main series is tedious but I think it helped me a lot, give it a try if you have the time :wink: (the link to the treads are in the first post of the club thread if you want some template/inspiration).

It seems to me that you will need some context about the characters but I guess we can give it to you if you are ok with being spoiled.
Looking quickly at the first few pages, I would said that the story if this spinoff starts at the earliest between books 5 and 6 of the main series (based on (spoil of the main series up to the last two chapters of volume 5) “the black one” being part of the story while the family is in the 2nd home).

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply! I am alright with being spoiled if it’s too much trouble to provide context I can just quickly binge read the original in English and then catch up here with the Japanese volume.

2 Likes

(Damn, my message was sent way too soon…)

As you wish 🤷

If you want to jump straight into it, here is a quick summary for the characters in this week’s chapters:

Character description/background, spoiling the main series
  • チー (Pee u_u’): our queenmain character, she is a kitten with so short an attention span that she got lost about 1 meter from the door to her home (ch1) while her mom and two siblings passed said door. Startled by everything around her, she ended up crying in a public park, where a little boy (ヨウヘイ) fell first in front of her then in love with her (Oh! yeah! be warned that I can’t stay serious more than a few sentences :stuck_out_tongue:). She “got” her current name because she kept on peeing wherever she was when she needed to and heard ヨウヘイ call his mom when she did; she started responding to the word before the humans could even come up with a proper name. For most of the main series, she thinks that she is a human x) Her original name was セーラ.
  • The cat in the first frame: チー’s mom. Heartbroken by the lost of her daughter.
  • The dad: a human (duh!). He works from home (Wikipedia says he is a graphic designer). He loves チー very much. Btw, the name’s 山田 (ケント says Wikipedia, I don’t remember seeing it in the main series).
  • The mom: also human, she is a housewife and was somewhat more reluctant about keeping チー, especially because their first home did not allow pets. But now that they moved (vol 4) to a new apartment in a building that welcome pets (on the other side of the public park), everything is fine :slight_smile: Wikipedia says that her first name is ミワ :thinking:
  • ヨウヘイ (best boy!): チー’s new brother, loves チー and loves to play.
  • くろのい (the black cat): first seen as a mischievous cat from the same building as the 山田, he causes quite a bit of trouble, making the 山田 fear that チー will be found out. His owners move out of the building, breaking チー’s little heart. Later (end of volume 5), she finds him again, a few streets from her new home. He is a friend and mentor to チー, trying to make a proper cat out of her. Also, @Toyger thinks that he is likely to be her father but it’s not said in the story 🤷
2 Likes

Thank you so much for taking the time to type this out! I really appreciate it. I’m just starting to learn how to read Japanese so I’m excited to join book club!

2 Likes

My pleasure, I’m happy to have people join us :slight_smile:
Don’t hesitate to ask if there is something you don’t understand, we’re here for that :wink: (and to comment on the story :stuck_out_tongue: I like to talk to the characters while I read :crazy_face:)

2 Likes

Here we go!

Chapter 1 (p3)

Oh! right, to anyone that did not read the other series and does not mind the spoil: チー doesn’t remember her mom. Sometimes, she dreams of her in the main story but it’s more about sensations than how she looked like.
Please remember to not feed real cats with milk, it’s bad for them :frowning:
That evil smile ^^
Cats, first cause of BSoD :stuck_out_tongue: You should save you work often! (And lock your session when you get up :eyes:)
Kitten 2 – Little boy 0
Hu? Is this series actual an alternate version of the main story? チー should already have heard くろのい say that :thinking:
Hunger > grudge x)
Wait a minute… that’s definitively not in the same timeline as the main stories as more than a month went by before they changed home. Either that or I am mistaken about this happening in the new apartment 🤷 (But I doubt it)
Also, is this feast reality or her delusion? x)

Chapter 2 (p10)

Poor mom ^^’
「か かわいいなぁ :sob: 」 xD
Poor plant :frowning:

Chapter 3 (p17)

チー: “Memyowhat?” :stuck_out_tongue:
Fun, the onomatopoeia for a hiss (シャー) sounds like the word for cat in French (chat; although the “a” is prolonged in シャー) ^^
チー never uses her head the right way :stuck_out_tongue:
Even the black one doubts that チー is a cat x)
Yeah, she should jump the same way to get on top of the wall :’)
Poor 黒のい xD 頑張って!

I prefer the art of the main series, anyone else?

2 Likes

おいちい。。。。。I guess the cat changed the shi sounds to chi. So far I like it, I just wish I could read at a better level but I’m fixing that this year.

Don’t feed yo cats that type of Milk yo.

1 Like

Here’s the whole list I have noted down, in case anyone finds it useful.

Chi's speak Normal Japanese
ちゅ しゅ
しゅ

Keep in mind that these changes don’t happen 100% of the time; sometimes Chi uses ら and actually means ら, so it takes a bit of experience to figure out what Chi is saying. If anyone has trouble with any of Chi’s sentences let us know and we’ll do our best to translate ^.^

4 Likes

Ohh I was wondering about that too thank you!

2 Likes
Chapter 1

I was never sure what this was supposed to be. I feel like it mimics the story, while not following the canon quite right… so it is a bit weird XD
Different style too…
I’m glad we are doing them, but the main story is by far better =P

Chapter 2

I have no plants. Only grass, which is for the cats =P

Chapter 3

Chi is barely a cat =P
I am baely <2humsn<2. <i sm so slepy I could fall asleep standing up! Been this way lately (cause my body sucks)
… I write like crap too XD
I’ll leave it for the lulz

I agree. The art was better in the original.

2 Likes
Chapter 3

:joy_cat: :orange_heart:
Yeah, same here… If you find somewhere we can get new bodies, I’m interested :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Ok… only 3 weeks in and I am already late…
Here are last week’s chapters, I’ll read this week’s tomorrow.

Chapter 4 (p24)

I want that pancake :drooling_face:
Poor ヨウヘイ ^^
チーズフォンヂュ :drooling_face: How come I did not eat any yet, this late into the winter? :thinking:

Chapter 5 (p31)

p31: I want this to not be a costume :stuck_out_tongue: I hope she can fly with these wings :smile_cat:
I don’t remember if I said this for the main series but it’s even worse now: every time the father talks, I here the voice of the father in the anime of 斉木楠雄さいきくすおΨ難さいなん x)
Ok, I hope there is a chapter with チー in this cop costume xD (and the black one as a Sherlock Homes-like inspector :joy_cat:)
As for the other costumes… nope… especially the one they actually bought 🤦
Why would you disguise a majestic cat as a… rabbit? è_é
Do you think Ancient Egyptians got the idea of mummifying people from a cat? :3

Chapter 6 (p39)

Oh! We get to see the first name of the parents! I guess Wikipedia did not invent them :stuck_out_tongue:
Don’t worry, ヨウヘイ, you can still be like your mom :smirk_cat:
Weird, in the main series, she like the vacuum cleaner, IIRC :thinking:
The father has more will than me, I would have stayed with チー instead of going back to work :stuck_out_tongue:
So, she does like the vacuum cleaner, now =)
Once again, the father has been defeated x)

2 Likes

Earlier today, I came across this in another manga, thought of チー right away xD

(Text: なに 人間にんげんにはわれ言葉ことばつうじゃないのか)

Chapter 7 (p47)

Why would they take a cat to the woods? oO
ヨウヘイ is better than his father at taking pictures of チー :stuck_out_tongue:
Kid, don’t let your camera laying around like that u_u
Is there a ghost in the water? :scream_cat:

It’s 冒険 (ぼうけん) time!

Adventure Time :musical_note:
Come on grab your friends :musical_note:
We’ll go to very distant lands :musical_note:
With チー the cat and ヨウヘイ the human :musical_note:
The fun will never end, it’s Adventure Time! :musical_note:
:crazy_face:

Chapter 8 (p54)

Start the countdown before ヨウヘイ death for drinking unfiltered water!
@Toyger : as our snake expert, what kind is this one? :stuck_out_tongue:
It’s a Bird… It’s a Plane… It’s チー! (Yeah, I should probably stop reading and go to bed xD)
The dad looks like a pervert trying to get a child to follow him by giving her a candy :eyes:

New character appearing in ch9 (spoiling the main series)

I present to you… コッチ! (First seen at the end of ch96 of the main series)
He is チー’s best friend and lives in a box in the park (:crying_cat_face:) He was abandoned in that box along his litter and is the only one that wasn’t picked up by other humans. @Toyger thinks that he might be チー’s half-brother (on the dad’s side).
He spends time trying to teach チー to survive outside… Not an easy task xD

Chapter 9 (p61)

Once again, we can see that this story is in an alternate reality: this seems to be the first meeting between チー and コッチ and it doesn’t match the main series’s meeting.
As with the main series, コッチ starts by pretending that he doesn’t like playing… he’ll come around ^^

2 Likes

The more I read the more it feels of XD
But, as the English version say on front, it is created by Konami Kanata, but Adapted by Kinoko Natsume.
So, these are not made by the original artist, and it shows. Both in style, story, and characters. I feel they are so…off XD
Or taken to an extreme that makes them wrong =P
Maybe I’m just particular about how it was in the original. But it is just so choppy, the stories has little to no emotion and pay off is too fast to be a pay off =P

I will finish them, but, honestly, I don’t enjoy them half as much as the original =P

I am listening to the Audiobooks oh Wheel of time.Just reached the end of his lifework, and started the first book adapted by the new author. He had a dialog before the book started, where he explained how he got the job, and how much he looked up to the original author and about how he had taken over the mantle after his passing. But he proclaimed he will be as true to the characters as possible, and write the story based on details given before passing (and the end was already written down) but he would not try to mimic his style, he would write in his own to make it a more natural flow. And it works! So far I love it! I can’t even say I notice, cause it feels natural and flows right!

I feel that is what these lacks. It’s like they are trying to mimic some of the past stories, and it just becomes… artificial ^^;

I hope they do more… original stuff later. At least they add some interesting tid bits like names =P

2 Likes

These chapters proved my point exactly. They got out of the living room and into “new turf”, and the story just flows better!
These I actually enjoyed (including last one, even though it clashes. Being a different Author I guess we can see these as non canon fun with the characters)

Cp 6 7

I noticed the reflection “staying” too. Must be some Japanese legend or myth about some spirit, ghost or monster! =D

Ah yes, the snake, looks more like a green anaconda than anything :rofl:
I highly doubt that was what they were going for :crazy_face:

I feel ヨウヘイ seems older here in some ways. Both mannerism and style… I would never let a child that young (as in the age he seems in the original) go play by a waterfall unsupervised O_o

2 Likes