三ツ星カラーズ — Week 6 Discussion (ABBC)

Ahhhh. I type numbers exclusively with the number pad, so that’s probably a contributing factor in why it’s never been a problem I’ve noticed. :laughing:

3 Likes

Judging from the stress knot on Saito it’s more like saito return the safe thanks ! :joy:

4 Likes

Page 44, Panel 5, Sa-chan

お宝という
程のものでもないぞ

Could you help me understand

お宝という - so-called treasure ? という I find confusing, any tips?

程…ない - not as… as
のものでも - but (でも)thing (もの)

程のものでもない - not as thing as but - welp … :confused:

thanks

7 Likes

Funny how you can impress yourself with the little things… just did a mini fist pump for recognising the causative volitional of する… have to tell you guys, the rest of my family would be like, “huh?”

(only cause I failed it on my bunpro grammar review yesterday :stuck_out_tongue: )

6 Likes

I actually translated it as: There is nothing that is the level of that so-called treasure right)
程のものでもない “There is no object that is that level” is how I interpreted it

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

5 Likes

where did you get the concept of level from if I may ask?

4 Likes

I interpreted it pretty much the same way as @foxabell

Pg. 44

Breakdown:

お宝 = treasure

という = to be called (roughly)

程のもの = object to that extent/level

でも = but; though; either

ない = to not exist

Overall interpretation: “An object to the extent of being called a treasure doesn’t exist (in the safe), though…”

I think a more natural English wording would be, “There is not much of a treasure…” since she doesn’t think the food bowl is all that exciting.

Edit:

As for tips on という, exposure, exposure, exposure. It has so many uses and is a massive rabbit hole of a grammar point that I don’t know if there is a one-stop easy way to understand it. I have just sort of gotten a feel for its uses as I have read it more. This page is a good starting point, but it might be overwhelming, so fair warning: https://maggiesensei.com/2010/04/24/request-lesson-というtoiu-ということ(toiukoto-and-many-more/

9 Likes

haha… I don’t know, just keep reading :eyes:

3 Likes

Lol, there’s 17 grammar lessons on という on bunpro… so yeah, I’ll just jog on for now…

4 Likes

Am I the only person that is a bit disturbed by the fact that a little girl’s panties are a plot point?

Other than that, this week was tough again, I feel that there are so many things I don’t understand.

First of all, I don’t understand why the panda is such a big revelation when even on the first page this week, one of the girls is already saying パンダに… And also something about frying pans. Not sure how they are getting there. Also, what are those にs about?

I have more questions, but I’m too tired now to write them all down right now. I’m wondering why so few other people commented this week, did nobody else have trouble understanding? Basically the whole last page is lost on me and I can’t really piece together the story and what Saitou’s role is in it.

3 Likes

I don’t think there’s been a single chapter so far which hasn’t had at least one panel in which only the position of a character’s leg prevents it being an actual panty-shot for the reader. But yeah.

One presumes that their initial first thought would be the two actual live pandas which reside in Ueno Zoo. It’s basically why Ueno Park and Ueno Station are both a bit panda-mad.

パン means bread, but is also the “pan” in “frying pan”.

Connecting to the rest of the sentence which she never completes. Unfortunately, my intuition is currently refusing to intuit for me what the rest of the sentence might be.

The page starts with Yui continuing to read the letter they found in the safe. The first panel is the second half of the sentence which began in the last panel on the previous page - basically, Old Guy is writing a note to Saito saying “If you managed to open the safe first… (turn page) don’t say anything, and close it again.” Then there’s a note on the back saying “Please bring the safe back to me”

7 Likes