レンタルおにいちゃん - Week 8 Discussion (Absolute Beginners Book Club)

So let's break this up a bit.

Expanding it contractions we get:

かなみはしてはいけないことをしている

At its core this is standard SはOをV form.

Subject = かなみ
Verb = している
Object = してはいけないこと

The object is a generic noun こと modified by a verb clause してはいけない

You’ll probably recognize
してはいけない = must not do

Putting it all back together:

してはいけないこと = things that one must not do

してはいけないことをしている = doing things that one must not do

And now you should see why Kanami thinks she’s being a 悪い子 :frowning_face:

7 Likes

Week Nine thread is up.

5 Likes

Many thanks!! Now it makes perfect sense! :blush: :ok_hand:

Here’s this volume’s final Pixiv vs commercial release comparison. The remaining chapters after this were written specifically for the commercial release, and do not have Pixiv counterparts.

Page 89

89-1p 64073027_p14 89-1c 0821_rental_1280_01_091

No dialogue change. Just showing another example where school uniforms were introduced for the commercial release.

89-2p 64073027_p14 89-2c 0821_rental_1280_01_091

Slight dialogue change:

「話しそうとする」 became 「話しかける」 (to address someone).

Page 90

Minor changes. 「そんな時に」 became 「そんなある日」, and レンタル was dropped.

90-2p 64073027_p15 90-2c 0821_rental_1280_01_092

レンタル as a modifier was dropped again, requiring Kanami’s line to be rewritten as 「おにいさんをレンタル…?」 This also required changing おにいちゃん to おにいさん for consistency.

90-3p 64073027_p15 90-3c 0821_rental_1280_01_092

Aside from the usual kanji change from 淋 to 寂, the particle に was added in. (Clearly this was done to one day assist the WaniKani ABBC.)

Page 93

92p 64073027_p17
92c 0821_rental_1280_01_094

The monologue had its borders removed. Maybe this adds some consistency between whether it’s Kanami’s or Rental Big Brother’s monologue?

Her dialogue changed slightly from 「あの頃の」 as a modifier to 「昔の」.

Page 93

This page had some significant dialogue changes.

Release Dialogue
Pixiv 「お兄ちゃんが変わってから毎日が辛くて辛くて淋しかった」
Commercial 「これは叶実のわがまま」

Her original dialogue reads as, “Since my brother changed, every day has been very painful and lonely.”

93-2p 64073027_p18 93-2c 0821_rental_1280_01_095

There’s a minor art difference, as the marking on her cheek was removed for the commercial release.

As for the dialogue change, it looks like they knew the WaniKani ABBC would be passing on through.

Release Dialogue
Pixiv 「まだ大丈夫、まだ頑張る。いつも自分に言い聞かせてた」
Commercial 「でも、それでも」

The original reads as, “I’m still okay. I’m still trying my best. I’m always telling myself that.”

93-3p 64073027_p18 93-3c 0821_rental_1280_01_095

The 「でも本当は」 dialogue was removed.

Finishing off the dialogue changes:

Release Dialogue
Pixiv 今すぐ助けて欲しくて
Commercial 今すぐ誰かに助けてもらわないと
Release Dialogue
Pixiv 壊れてしまいそうだったーーー
Commercial 壊れてちゃいそうだからーーー
Page 94

The final dialogue change is fairly minor:

Release Dialogue
Pixiv レンタルおにいちゃんやってほしいです
Commercial レンタルお願いしたいです
End-of-Chapter Bonus Image

5 Likes

page 99
Second panel かかるし. What does the し represent?
I’m pretty sure かかる is the verb for to take.

3 Likes

し marks a reason, usually as one of many things. “Because it takes money (among other reasons)…”

8 Likes

I see, thanks.

Page 93

(いま)すぐだれに(たす)けてもらわないと (こわ)れちゃいそうだからー

I had a bit of a struggle breaking down this sentence, particularly because:

1. It was my first encounter with the negative form of ーてもらう, as in (たす)てもらわない.

Which I broke it like:

• (いま)すぐ: right now
  • (だれ)かに: someone (for)
  • (たす)けてもらわない: to help (not have someone do)
  • と: if

If I don’t have someone help me right now,

1. Also with ーてしまう+そう, as in (こわ)ちゃいそう.
  • (こわ)れちゃいそう: to be broken (completion) (it seems)
  • だからー: consequently

it looks like I’ll finally break down.

So stitched together I got:

If I don’t have someone help me right now, it looks like I’ll finally break down.

Which kinda makes sense given the context, but I also get the feeling it does not, together with the low confidence on the translation/break down because I got here only after a lot of iterations over multiple resources; so I wonder if you guys could shine the light of knowledge here.

Page 95

おにいちゃんにお(にい)ちゃんを(かさ)ねて…

I also had trouble with the (かさ)ねる instances in this chapter, going back and forth between the two meanings to pile up, and to repeat many times over.

By reading your so helpful discussions on this thread, I came to terms with the to pile up meaning, but in this sentence it still doesn’t make sense for me, since the direct object is お(にい)ちゃん (the real brother) and the “thing which’s being piled over on”, marked by に, is おにいちゃん (the rental brother).

So my translation became: To put my real brother on top of you (rental brother).

Shouldn’t it be the inverse? :thinking: or did I make a mess out of my grammar?

Yay, I’m finally (barely) on schedule again, that’s exciting! :partying_face:

This was a very intense chapter, with us getting to know a lot more about the trio, and how the relationship between 叶実(かなみ) and おにいちゃん (I keep forgetting his real name) came to be.

Overall I found it was a pleasure to read, with few road blocks in terms of vocabulary and grammar – or I just understood everything wrong :sweat_smile:. However there were plenty of times where I did not know exactly who was talking, and the mix of 叶実(かなみ), お(にい)ちゃん, おにいちゃん and おにいさん being used did not help at all! I hope I’ll get better at distinguishing these things as I get more familiar with reading manga in Japanese, and I’m excited to see how it will differ from reading a book book like 10(ぶん) next month.

All in all, great week, and thanks for your help you wonderful internet friends! :hugs:

5 Likes

No I think you got it right, she doesn’t want to start projecting her real brother over rental brother when they’re out doing stuff. She barely gets to interact with her real brother so there’s not much risk of it going the other way, projecting rental brother of real brother.

Ugh that’s still kind of confusing…

4 Likes

That was my interpretation of the sentence too.

I also agree with the conclusion you have arrived here. Evidently this is in a metaphorical sense, it’s like there’s this image of how her real brother is, and she’s putting that image in a way that overlaps the rental brother.

This means that she’s afraid that when she looks at her rental brother, she instead sees her real brother - that she’s escaping reality and start confusing the rental as the real one.

6 Likes

Although I included his name in the ABBC nomination (summary was too confusing when I tried to avoid it), his name actually hasn’t been revealed yet by week 8. That makes forgetting it more than acceptable =D

7 Likes

I think they meant her real brother, who we did learn the name of (though I also forgot :joy:)! EDIT: It’s Kazutaka, revealed by the man at the door on Week 7’s page 84!

Thanks for all the lovely help in this thread! I fell slightly behind the past couple weeks, but I’m caught up now.

重ねる was definitely the vocab that threw me for the biggest loop, and the ちゃい stuff got me on grammar. Nice thing is, I was able to get the gist of the chapter through context and partial understanding, then read every post here to fill in the gaps. :grin: It’s been a little tough but it ultimately feels good!

5 Likes

That would make sense. I ignored any potential context and went straight to Kanami’s usage of おにいちゃん vs お兄ちゃん (yay pattern recognition!) when I responded.

1 Like

Yes I actually meant her real brother (お(にい)ちゃん), my mistake! I guess this whole (かさ)ねて-ing of big brothers is getting to me! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes