ルリドラゴン ・ Ruri Dragon 🐲 Week 1

Spoilers for chapter 1

Yes, but she’s not telling Ruri that. Her excuse for leaving in a hurry is she has to work early.

5 Likes

I am a little late unfortunately but didn’t have the time earlier. I spent a few hours with the text, making notes and reading the past explanations in here but I still have lots of questions. I think I have a general understand of every sentence now but tbh going through the first pages was extremely overwhelming. It’s my first attempt at immersion. Very difficult overall, hopefully it will get easier once I’m used to all the contractions. I will post my questions and hope that people are still looking into the first weeks thread :smiley:
Thanks to everyone who already posted explanations, it was very helpful. I will try to catch up with the next week.

Page 5
  • ん? means huh?, I guess? What are the differences between ん?, あ...? (page 7) and は? (page 11)
  • ツノ関係ないじゃん = The horns don't matter
    Wouldn’t it be more like The horns don't matter, do they?
Page 9
  • ね- meaning?
  • Does ねえ mean look!?
  • 見てこれ The Te-form here is to form into a command, right? Is this the same as saying これを見て? Don’t you need a particle in between?
  • うわって言うな means Don't say "うわ", right?
Page 10
  • Is 間に this grammar point? I’m wondering because there it is pronounced あいだ and not .
  • 寝てた is short for 寝ていた, right?
  • I checked the bunpro grammar guide for もん but it says there to use the plain form of the verb + だ but here it uses the て form + た. What’s that about?
  • どうなってんだわたしの頭 - I know Japanese does not care too much about word order but is it not needed to have another particle for わたしの頭 since that seems to be what the verb なる is referring to?
  • Is なんか this grammar point?
Page 11
  • Isn’t there a missing after お父さん? Overall this confuses me a lot. The way I learned up to know, lots of subject particles feel omitted to me.
Page 12
  • じゃあ何 = Then what? ?
  • これ遺伝なの I’m confused by the grammar. これ is in reference to the whole horn growing thing and なの means that's the way it is?
  • ええ apparently means yes. I don’t quite get the usage in this context.
  • I don’t get じゃあこれ何のツノなの… at all with all these particles. Could someone elaborate on this one a bit please :sweat_smile:
Page 13
  • 別称じゃなくて = Don’t give me the synonym. Could someone elaborate on the grammar here? How do we go from is not in the て-form to Don't give me?
Page 14
  • あんた人と龍とのハーフなのよ - The first means and, right? What is the second one for together with the ? Also confused by なのよ.
  • 言おう is the volitional form from what I gather from reading this thread. Can this form be used for I should ... and also for Let's ...?
  • 思ってたんだけどね - Is this おもって + いた + this grammar + ?
  • I don’t understand そうだな. I assume it’s like is that so? but what’s the exactly?
Page 15
  • 私今日早いからもう出るけど - から means because in this case, right? もう is already. So is it like But because I have to leave early today already ...? Why does から come before もう and not somewhere else in this sentence? I guess I’m confused again by the word order.
  • ツノ生えただけだしな - Why is the -copula needed here? Wouldn’t it be enough to just have the verb in the past + だけ?
  • ま普段通りでいいよ - What does the in the beginning mean?
Page 16
  • ごめんね - What is the for here?
  • Does the また here mean When I get back home _again_.. ?
Page 17
  • 履いてってない / 履いててない - What grammar is that?
6 Likes
Response

Not much, same thing as English with “huh, eh, mmh?, etc”

Don’t take the dictionary translation of “right?” as gospel. What’s more important is that it sounds assertive.

It has a sort of “Hey” feeling, “Hey look”, or “Hey, what’s going on?”

Indeed, 見てこれ is a common phrase, in casual speech dropping particles happens all the time.

Yep

It’s not a grammar point, 間 just means “time”, “at the time of waking up”

Yep

As far as I know, that means any verb in any form. So 寝ていた works just fine.

わたしの頭 is a separate sentence there basically. It’s the same thing when you go “How’s he doing? I mean Matt”.

Yes

Goes back to the “casual speech omits particles all the time”

遺伝 is a な adjective, and の is short for のですか as far as I know, so it’s basically a question asking about a reason

In this case, it’s “eeeeh?”

何のツノ - what kind of horns
これ[は]何のツノ what kind of horns (are these)
なの - this is basically the same combination as earlier, means “then” basically
So the whole sentence is “Well, what kind of horns are these then?”

This is the command て

と can be used after each thing you list out, so this is just “you are half of a dragon and a human” in literal translation. なの is the same as earlier, よ is just assertive

Not really “I should”, the literal translation is closer to “I should tell, I should tell”

Yes

It’s a different form of ね

から I’m pretty sure is actually “from, since”, in a sort of “I need to leave in a bit”

だし is another way to show a reason. It has a slight nuance, that what you are mentioning isn’t the only reason, but it’s the one you talk about

It’s just まあ, but shortened. So “Well”

ごめんね is a common contraction of ごめんなさい

また can mean “another time”

履いて行ってない is the non-contracted version I’m pretty sure

6 Likes

Is there a reason you’re using ` marks as apostrophes? Only they’ve got a special meaning in Markdown, the language that Discourse uses, and I’m not a huge fan of the font in the resulting code blocks.

3 Likes

I just thought it would be easier to read.

5 Likes

Thank you very much, that helps.

I still have troubles with 履いて行ってない. What is the 行って for here?

2 Likes

I don’t know if it actually is 履いて行ってない but it would make sense. It really is just 行く as in “to go (to work in this case)”.

So in a literal sense the sentence would be something like “she didn’t put on her usual shoes and go” or more naturally “she left without her usual shoes”. The て form connects verbs together and can be used to indicate a sequence of events, in this case putting on the shoes she always wears and then going to work.

I interpreted it as just a colloquialism for 履いていてない, which would just make it something like “she’s not wearing her usual shoes”, but 履いて行ってない makes sense too.

4 Likes

It’s a bit late, but I’ve added this!

I’ve also added video timestamps (at the lower part of the post, together with the video) :slight_smile:

4 Likes

See, I’ve seen that there wasn’t one for week 2, and I held myself back from saying it again. 'pparently it worked.

Quick question, I scoured youtube for the parts, that I think are on it, but all over the place. Do you happen to have a reliable list of videos?

3 Likes

Yeah! Here you go. Ignore the first 4 - and I think #5 and #6 are swapped around for some reason.

4 Likes

Nice, thanks! I absolutely adore the voice over, it adds a ton to the experience.

3 Likes

I know, right? It’s sooo good. If they ever make a Ruri Dragon anime, they need to keep those voice actors! :smiley:

3 Likes

Speaking of the voice over, I really like how some manga will get voice over trailers and things like that. They’re always so well done, but makes me so sad when I think they probably won’t ever get an anime

2 Likes

Hello! This is my first time doing a book club, and I’m kind of excited. I just had a small question.
On pg. 9 it says 何だソレ, and I wanted to know what the point of the だ there is. Is just for emphasis or something?
Thanks in advance

7 Likes

Welcome to the book club!

Page 9 answer

Jisho translates 何だ as “what the heck; what the; damn”.

Apart from being an interjection that belongs together, it might just be the casual/simple だ form of です though, so “what is”. And the ソレ coming after it is reordering the sentence a bit.

I think a non-casual version of the sentence might be それは何ですか.

6 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Also, I have no idea what そらそうか means. It isn’t in the grammar or vocab sheet for the book, and the lack of kanji makes it hard to figure out.

4 Likes

It’s a contraction, I think, for それはそうか

4 Likes

As I’m reading, the term/grammar point なの keeps on coming up. It seems to be related to questioning, but I was wondering what the actual meaning is.

3 Likes

It’s really just the explanatory の in a questioning tone, taking it from essentially, “It is that…” to “is it that?”

The な is there whenever the の is preceded by a noun/な adjective, because that’s how you have to connect a noun or a な adjective to the の sentence ender.

Side-note: context will inform you if it’s a question or an explanation. If you have a specific sentence that you’re confused about, feel free to ask.

7 Likes