チーズスイートホーム: Vol 3 Week 3 Discussion (Chapters 45-47)

Join the チーズスイートホーム Book Club here!

Chapters 45-47

chi-3

Start date: November 22th
Previous Chapter: Chapters 42-44
Next Chapter: Chapters 48-56

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :cat:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

2 Likes

These chapters were so funny/thrilling that I was not able to stop, and I read chapter 48 too!

2 Likes

Has it really been a week already? :scream_cat:

I have yet to read Ch47 and finish dissecting Ch43 but it’s time for week 4 thread…
So here it is! :smiley_cat:

I won’t do any sentence by sentence post for week 3 and probably not for futures chapters either, at least for this book, as I don’t have much free time these days :-/

Sorry for necroing a thread! (I’ll probably necro the other volumes once I get there too…) But onto chapter 45!

The chapter title is 意気投合 (To hit it off with someone), which is surprising considering how Julie has treated poor Chi…

(P49)

「ジュリちゃんあんまりチーをびっくりさせないでね」
する (to do) → させる (causative) + ないで (don’t)

Julie, don’t / try not to startle Chi too much

「あいつあばれんばーら」
暴れる (to be riotous / violent)
(I’m not too sure about this one) This one is dangerous…

(P50)

「動物はね首のとこなでると気持ちいいんだよ」
撫でる (to stroke)

It feels good to animals when you stroke their neck. (but what is the ね doing there between 動物はね首の?)

(P51)

「もっと喜ぶのあるよ」
喜ぶ (to be delighted)

(Time for) more pleasing?

(P52)

「ジュリ!チーちゃんに手荒な事しちゃだめよ。子猫なんだから」
手荒 (na-adjective, rough)
手荒な事 (being rough?)
し ???
ちゃ (adds emphasis?)

Julie! Stop being so rough with Chi! She’s just a kitten!

(P54)

「うちはどうせ動物だらけだしさ」
どうせ (after all?)
らけだしさ ???

The previous sentence was “She grew up running around our farm in Hokkaido”, commenting on how energetic she is, so I’m guessing this one means that their house was always full of animals? I would appreciate some help with this one!

2 Likes

Yes, something along the lines of “please don’t startle Chi too much”

Chi’s baby-talk strikes again. This is 暴れん坊

ね here is something along the lines of “Animals, you see, like it when you stroke their necks”. It’s like a pause in middle sentence. The dictionary of basic japanese grammar describes that use as follows:

My understanding is that this is something like an abbreviation of もっと喜ぶのことがあるよ, which literally means “a something more pleasing exists”. So basically she’s saying that she’s going to do something Chi will enjoy even more.

手荒な事 => a rough thing (as in rough handling of an animal, in this case).
手荒な事する => to do a rough thing.
手荒な事してはだめ => to do a rough thing is not good (comes from the grammar structure てはいけない)
手荒な事しちゃだめ => しちゃ is an informal way to say しては

I agree with your interpretation.
うちは => our place (not necessarily inside their home, but the place where they live)
どうせ => after all
動物だらけ => full of animals. だらけ is a suffix that implies “full of”

だ => copula
し => particle used to list reasons (in this case, the reason she’s so energetic. し implies there are other, unmentioned reasons).
さ => particle that when used at the end of a sentence, it’s an informal way to say よ - to add emphasis to the sentence.

2 Likes

Feel free to do so =^_^=

I have to re-read everything, I don’t remember much of the story… but I should understand more than last time x)

1 Like