スペイン語で WaniKani? WaniKani in spanish?

Probably I´m not the only Spanish speaker in this community. Maybe in a not too distant future can we learn kanji directly in Spanish?

Probablemente no sea el único hablante de español en esta comunidad ¿Quizás en un futuro no muy lejano podremos aprender kanji directamente en español?

Saludos desde Argentina

2 Likes

I don’t know what the plans for WK are, but there are probably 10 east asian languages I would cover first as WK because that it where most Japanese learners are actually at.

1 Like

I believe from previous threads I think the mnemonics only work in English so the work of doing that weren’t be “profitable”. Maybe a community based solution can work. Since there are thousands and thousands of lines to modify for the desired language. On the other hand, knowing English, to me, seems more important to know that Japanese.

Although I agree with this, I think the idea of “only learn English and you’re done” might be a little too toxic these days. There’s so much to learn in other languages that neglecting it too much isn’t a good idea. So the idea of “learn English first” might not be a healthy one.

Nevertheless, I don’t think this translation thing will happen. (Un)fortunately, the market asks for innovation and trying to make things in other languages only delays that. WaniKani isn’t a big company either, so there’s the need to use the few resources they have as effectively as they can.

2 Likes

I meant to put English as a higher priority due to all of the use cases that English entails. People can learn 3 languages.

2 Likes

Hola de México :slight_smile:

Yeah, I don’t think we’ll get WaniKani in Spanish anytime soon. It’s probably not profitable, and anyway there’s always stuff like Anki, which is free, and I bet someone’s made a Kanji/Spanish deck already.

Also, parte del problema is just how different our Spanishes are. Basic things and grammar would be mostly ok, but the moment you start with colloquialisms and jerga it’s near impossible. If a Spaniard were to tell me something was la leche I wouldn’t get what’s going on with the milk. If I told you “Eres un fresa!” maybe you wouldn’t get why I was calling you a strawberry?

(holy shit I wrote this very pocho)

4 Likes

Im agree, Im a spanish speaker from Mexico and its difficult to use Wanikani in english. I need to learn kanjis + a lot of new english words. There are books of the complete nemonics in spanish, the name is “Kanji para recordar”, then I think its possible to use this book as a source of information for wanikani company and make a deal with the autor of the book to use his book for the wanikani spanish version. the price of the book is about 32 usd, I think its a good chance to make a deal with them.

Please wanikani, try to find new ways to make profitable your business and help more people in the world.

Think about it, its really difficult to use this software for non english speakers, as more far Im using wanikani, more difficult to understand vocabulary of the english nemonics.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.