あんな顔だけ俳優

下手 - bad at
にきまってる - certainly
わよ - exclamation
あんな - that
顔 - face
だけ - only
俳優 - actor

I’m not sure wot to glue it up together. Is that two separate sentences? There is no comma, so I’m a little bit confused. My version:
“Of course he is bad at it, that only-face (=having nothing but his face?) actor”

Please correct me if I didn’t get the page number right, because in my hard copy it is hard to get.

1 Like

I think your version sounds about right! That’s how I read it, anyway. :smiley: An actor like that, whose only good point is his face, obviously he’s terrible… sort of thing.

3 Likes

That author’s note right at the beginning sure is a lot of text without furigana. :sweat_smile: I’m skipping it for now if I wanna keep up with the “schedule.” If others in the club read it, well I’m impressed! :clap:

I also decided to skip it :slight_smile: As well as all further author notes. I aim to read it later, to practice reading a handwritten text. But there are tons of it in the manga itself, and it takes so much time for now, so not today :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Page 20:

ウチとしては時間通りに来てもらうのは当たり前だし

How to translate ウチとしては here? If I understand correctly, としては = as for (としては - Japanese Grammar Explained | Bunpro). But what is the role of ウチ?

From what I know , ウチ would be ‘I / me’ so ウチとしては would mean ‘as for me’ or ‘for me’.

2 Likes

I’m slowly reading along! o7 I might be eternally behind due to work at the moment, but I’m really glad there’s a small group reading the manga and enjoying it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome to the club! I’m so happy that the number of participants is growing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Skip Beat is one of my favorite series! ^o^ I’ve got them all in English, and I’m hoping to slowly start going through them in Japanese. I gotta check after work today to see where I’m at with vol 1; maybe I’m not as far behind as I thought if week 1 is half the first chapter…

2 Likes

I just started reading. Just like Furuba, the furigana is killing me sometimes. :confounded: I also decided to overlook the small handwritten stuff, at least in the beginning of the story and as long as it’s people talking I don’t care about. I don’t think it’s important to the story to read these (and I also know the story very well).

Thanks for the vocab sheet! The reading goes very smoothly at the moment. But we’ll see what the future holds. I think it will be more difficult to read upcoming acting scenes and because I know that Nakamura likes to use Japanese proverbs and sometimes puns that might be difficult to understand as a non Japanese.

Can we maybe add page numbers to the vocab sheet? There don’t seem to be page numbers but looking at the table of contents page and the first pages of each chapter, it seems that at least for the digital release the page numbers my reading app shows are the correct page numbers.

I love how Kyoko’s last name basically translates to “the best” (最上). I didn’t know that before!

Question regarding page 15

screenshot

grafik

ケンカ売る様な真似
I’m a bit puzzled about 売る… I found うる can mean “to be able to …” but they use the sell kanji…? Why?

4 Likes

I’m guessing 売る is to sell here, but in a “metaphorical” way? I threw it into deepL and it spit out to pick a fight.

3 Likes

If you or someone else with a digital copy can do that it would be great. I have only a physical copy, and in the first chapter there is only one or two pages numbered, so I have to count manually to be sure I get it right.

Oh, I’ve found this one in Jisho: 喧嘩を売る - Jisho.org

3 Likes

I’m not planning on picking up the series until about a month after you all have finished volume 1 (work is murder right now), but I just want to say, wow! that vocab sheet is already incredibly well filled out! was just planning on checking the thread occasionally, but it really makes me want to pick up reading right this instant!

2 Likes

Will do when I continue to read this afternoon!

2 Likes

Page 30:
Panel 4 (handwritten text):
もう一刻のゆうよもならね
I cannot understand what is going on after もう一刻

Page 33:
Panel 3 (TV phrase):
What is written there? I can only get 番組は_供で_してす
Update: It is 番組は提供で(…missing part of the sentence…)いしてす

1 Like

First, an important caveat : I haven’t purchased the book yet, so this might not be correct, but I think the meaning of the sentence is as follows :

一刻 a minute, moment, an instant

猶予 postponement, deferment, extension of time

→ 一刻の猶予A moment’s delay

but with the もならね added it might be a variant of 一刻の猶予もない (not a moment to waste; there is no time to lose; cannot wait any longer​). The important difference here is the ない is instead なら at the end, which I believe is a contextual conditional, it is an ‘if’, where the feeling of the if is ‘if that ’s the case…’

And then the sentence ending ね is probably asking for confirmation. Again, I don’t have the volume yet and would have to see the entire panel (or page) to be sure, but depending on the rest of the context it’s probably something along the lines of :

[whatever was just said] If that’s the case, I don’t have a moment to spare, right?

As for your second question, I can’t help with that at the moment.

2 Likes

Page 39:
私にとったら今の尚ちゃんでも敦賀蓮なんかより全然かっこいいよ

What does にとったら mean? とる has so many meanings, so I’m lost…

I can’t look it up in the manga right now to see the context or who’s saying this but I have a feeling that this might just mean somehting like “as for me” / “if it’s me”, so the person expresses their thought on the matter. I can be totally wrong about that of course :sweat_smile:

1 Like