シメジシミュレーション | Week 6 Discussion 🍄

Chapter 6: あめ

Pages 65 - 74

Start Date: 31st October
Last Week: Chapter 5
Next Week: Chapter 7

シメジシミュレーション Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along :mushroom:
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

3 Likes

Wow, chapter 6 read. I don’t know what to say! It’s still weird, I think in general I understand the bits I’m supposed to understand!

Page 67-68

What I understood on these two pages:

The H joke was that H (エッチ) can mean lewd/sexy. So when Majime said touching the mushrooms felt “H”, Shimeji misunderstood her as saying it felt sexy/naughty (and it definitely looks a bit naughty in the picture!). But actually she was meaning was that the firmness of the mushrooms felt like an H (measure of hardness) pencil. Both meanings can be written as “H” and pronounced “エッチ” according to Jisho.

At this point Shimeji realises that when Majime is touching the mushrooms, she can read her thoughts. So Majime does an experiment touching the mushrooms with the end of a broom and thinking a random thought about boiled tomatoes, which Shimeji picks up, confirming she can read Majime’s thoughts.

4 Likes

I loved the rain imagery in this chapter! Also, Ayaka is starting to become my favourite character.

I understood that first part a bit differently:

The way I understand it, Majime is trying to come up with an excuse for her original thoughts about how touching the mushroom had a naughty vibe to it, and H pencils were the first thing she was able to come up with.

11 Likes

It was a little disappointing that last week’s cliffhanger was just ignored. :no_mouth:

1 Like

Was… was that a cliffhanger? What cliff, exactly?

? Well, it seemed like Shimeji’s sister is going to have some interaction with the black thing.

Page 67

I feel like I understand what Shijima means, but the grammar doesn’t make sense to me. Is がどうとか a grammar point or something? Otherwise I am not sure why エッチ should be the subject of いった. Unless it’s to do with stative-transitives?

1 Like

とか has the standard meaning of „or something“ in this case, and as such it also serves as a quotation:
「エッチがどう」とか 言った?

(If this did not help, please ask again!)

1 Like

What does エッチがどう mean? Literally “how about sex” (like a proposition)? Or “what about sex”?

I also read it as „how about sex“ although that’s not exactly what Majime thought (I think)… Probably she mainly gets the gist of the thoughts, not a word-by-word transmission?

1 Like