コンビニ人間 🍙 Week 16 (IBC Primer)

Week 16 of コンビニ人間

コンビニ人間 (IBC Primer) :rice_ball: Home Thread

Previous Part: Week 15
Next Part: Week 17

Reading

Week Start Date End Page (PB)* End Kindle Location End Percentage Ebook End Phrase Page Count
#16 Sep 30 121 1180 70% 私のかけがえのない同士だった。 14

If the end phrase is bolded, it means that this week ends in the middle of a section/chapter. So the stopping point might be a bit rough and you need to keep more of an eye out for it.

Proper Noun Readings

Name Reading Notes Proof
古倉 ふるくら Main character’s last name Furigana
恵子 けいこ Main character’s first name English version description
菅原 すがわら Part time employee at コンビニ Common reading
いずみ Supervisor at コンビニ Common reading
ダット ダット Vietnamese, new employee
岩木 いわき Tall university student, employed on day shift, looking for a new job English version description
雪下 ゆきした Day shift employee soon to be leaving for a proper job English version description
ミホ ミホ Keiko’s friend from class reunion, week 6
ユカリ ユカリ Miho’s friend, recently moved back to the area, has a child, week 6
サツキ サツキ Miho’s friend, no children, week 6
白羽 しらは New, tall, skinny store employee, week 8 Furigana
麻美 まみ Keiko’s sister, week 10 Audiobook
悠太郎 ゆうたろう Mami’s baby, week 10 Audiobook

Vocabulary List

Please note that this vocabulary sheet was created for earlier コンビニ人間 clubs. The PB (paperback) pages should correspond with PB page counts in our schedule, but the weeks and schedule table won’t. This was created for the original IBC schedule. Example: the vocabulary for Primer week one, two and a couple of pages of week 3 will all be under original IBC week 1, so in the week one tab.

Please don’t change this sheet to correspond with our schedule, but do feel free to add to the vocabulary sheet if it is missing something, please read the editing guidelines tab before doing so. :slight_smile: If you are unsure how to add something or which page it falls on, post it in the thread instead and we’ll figure it out together!

Discussion Guidelines

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Posting Advice

Obs! Do note that the physical version seems to come with zero page numbers (yes, zero, I saw none while flipping through a good portion of the first volume). So alternative means of identifying page might be needed.

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (if you can), and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked. As the threads get longer, it becomes more convenient to use the Search function, which is located in the upper right corner of the forum. It is the magnifying glass which is near your profile picture! The best way to search is usually to type part of the sentence you are confused about, and select “in this topic”. This will show you all posts within the current thread which has that string of text.

• Be sure to join the conversation! It’s fun, and it’s what keeps these book clubs lively! There’s no such thing as a stupid question! We are all learning here, and if the question has crossed your mind, there’s a very good chance it has crossed somebody else’s also! Asking and answering questions is a great learning opportunity for everyone involved, so never hesitate to do so!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book
0 voters

Past IBC Thread Links

This week is covered by week 9 and all of week 10.

Don’t feel like you need to look there to see if your question(s) have been answered before posting here. There is no obligation nor expectation that you will look there first.

5 Likes

This was another interesting week, in fact we suddenly seemed to move at quite a swift pace getting everyone’s reactions. I think my favourite part was when she started thinking of him like keeping a pet and feeding him えさ! He did not seem impressed, but then quite quickly seemed to warm to the idea!

The reactions from friends and coworkers are interesting, but sad that they make her realise how much of an outsider she is.

I had to look up how to pronounceトゥアン - it seems トゥ is how “tu” or “too” (as in tattoo) is written when transcribing foreign words into Japanese. So I think he is Tuan.

5 Likes

It’s gone a bit quiet here on the book club.

66%
I found the reference to マメ and ヒモ very puzzling initially until I found reference to 豆男 and ヒモ男
I haven’t found a good comprehensible (English) explanation of these, but I could more or less work it out from the context
Anyone find an English equivalent of these terms?

2 Likes

I’m a little behind, but almost done with the reading for this week. I found this article:

https://zexy.net/s/contents/lovenews/article.php?d=20220825

So google translate gave me “pimp” as a translation for ヒモ, which seems… wrong. But its basically a man who is completely dependent on his romantic partner to financially/emotionally. Not sure if there’s a specific term for that in English.

Regarding the coworker reactions: I think that was the most icky for me - they were all dissing Shiraha in the past and calling him creepy, but now they are excited to hear more from Keiko? And one of them even said they suited each other if I’m not wrong. So weird…

4 Likes

I feel like I should have figured this out a long time ago. But what does ムラ refer to?

Edit: posted in the wrong week, but it doesn’t really matter

For ヒモ, I think gigolo would be the best translation.

I think it’s 村(village), written in katakana.

4 Likes

Yeah, as Enoshima-chan said, I also think ムラ refers to the むら (村) of village (in a broader sense of community, but since he references the Jomon period a lot, I think むら is what comes the closest to ‘society’).

6 Likes