よつばと! Volume 15 (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

Chapter 100

Chapter 100! It’s time to visit the 医師 collect some 石!

Participation

• I’m reading along!
  • I already read this chapter in advance.
  • I plan to read this chapter in the future.
  • I’m too busy buying Milo to have read the last chapter yet.

0 voters

2 Likes

Woo! The big 100!

This chapter’s quite a bit of fun. Though I kinda thought Yotsuba already had a rock collection - she lines them up in front of the TV in the kotatsu socks chapter. In any case, I see they’ve given up on page numbers completely, though, so I guess I’m gonna count from the title page.

Page T-1, I feel like this is the first time we’ve seen Miura in quite a while…

Page T+1, I love how excited those two immediately become.

Page T+2, I stayed in Chigasaki when I visited back in 2018. Didn’t actually visit any of the sights there, though - I just used it as a base to explore other places.

Page T+8-10, such incomprehensible games they’re playing. On page +10 in particular, they’re clearly playing goroawase with the car number plates around them, but are the words they’re saying supposed to have meaning? Aside from Yotsuba’s はな, I can’t work it out.

Page T+17, Miura warns Yotsuba they’re not here to swim, which feels to me like a callback to the last time they came to the beach and Yotsuba ran into the ocean fully clothed… except Miura wasn’t there that time.

Page T+44, I think my favourite one of these is the one in the bottom-left. I’m almost tempted to try working out where they’ve wound up. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Notable for me:

Page T+1: Aside from the excitement, I love Koiwai’s expressions.

Page T+3: Last panel, I was thinking, “You have Yotsuba over enough that Koiwai probably feels this is the least he can do,” but then I remembered that he’s taken Ena and Miura on a lot of outings! (But then Yotsuba’s had her share of adventures on outings with the neighbor sisters as well.)

Page T+4: The cacophony of voices is fun (so long as it’s drawn on a page, and not in real life). I imagine whoever’s working on the English version will sigh heavily as they try to figure out how to make it clear who’s saying what. (I don’t recall offhand if they’ve established different words for how Ena refers to her mother versus Yotsuba.)

Page T+6: 「いいいし」

Page T+6: Last panel. That kid’s artwork has come a long way since drawing that duck on the lake.

T+9, 10: Yotsuba’s hair blowing in the wind.

This person suggests they’re just reading out the numbers, without any meaning to the words. (And notes Yotsuba’s being bad at it.)

T+11: A lack of allergies has come up with Miura before, right? I’m guessing this is a normal thing for someone to bring up in Japan.

T+14: Last panel. Even though I don’t head toward the sea often, this kind of view is one thing I like about living near the coast.

T+14: I forget, did we see the license plate number on Koiwai’s car before? If not, here it is.

T+20: Where was she hiding her drawing? Maybe in her father’s backpack?

T+38: The many expressions of Ena.

This chapter almost makes me want to look through my unpacked boxes and containers to see whether I still have my childhood collection of smooth rocks collected from along a beach.

4 Likes

I didn’t notice that (gonna have to check when I get home - I’m away this week, and I didn’t bring the book with me) but I certainly kept imagining Ena’s and Miura’s hats blowing in the wind…

Aye, I did notice that Yotsuba’s goroawase just sounds like numbers.

Ohhh, is that what you were getting at with your comment about Koiwai’s number plate?

Kinda reminds me of Nadeshiko’s phone number in Yuru Camp in the anime: 070-3776-223 - 3776 is the height of Fuji-san in metres, and 223 is “fuji-san” in goroawase.

Yotsuba does seem to have a knack of pulling pieces of paper out of nowhere, but to be fair, she is often wearing her shoulder bag.

2 Likes

Chapter 101

Time to 勉強 for the 試験.

Participation

• I’m reading along!
  • I’m too busy photographing my rock collection to read along.

0 voters

3 Likes

Another fun chapter. Didn’t Fuuka only just finish her mid-term exams, though? :stuck_out_tongue:

I wasn’t at all sure what Fuuka was getting at on T+5. Had to read it about three times.

Page T+22, how old do you need to be before you stop getting はなまる on your test papers? :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve checked - whenever we saw the car back in volume 14, the number plate was blank.

2 Likes

「これはいるかちがう」

3 Likes

True, but not for the reason stated by Yotsuba.

But this is exactly what I saw drawn on the paper =D

1 Like

I was kinda expecting Yotsuba to identify them as porpoises rather than dolphins, though it turns out porpoises are also いるか in Japanese.

No, the point is that dolphins, like all aquatic mammals, have horizontal tail flukes, but Fuuka had drawn them vertically.

2 Likes

Hello! Got my copy of volume 15 today and read the first three chapters!

7 Likes

Our Japanese teacher did it when I was like 21 so… It was still nice.

3 Likes

I’m behind and haven’t read this week’s chapter yet, but I wanted to comment on Ch 100 because it’s so cute! It reminds me a lot of when I was a kid. I totally had a rock collection, I would collect rocks from the beach all the time when we went there. I probably would have brought home every single rock on the beach if my mom had let me xD She made me pick the most special ones to keep but they were all special D: I might actually still have some of them somewhere at my mom’s house. :thinking: The one at the top right of the second to last page of the chapter looks very familiar…like, I think I might have actually had that rock xD I remember one of my pride and joys was shaped like a banana. And I had some sparkly ones (like, one was grey with a vein of sparkly white in it).

Ahhh yes, I love this too :blush:

Same childhood! :high_touch: lol

1 Like

My pride and joy is shaped like an ISO-standard raindrop (or teardrop, I guess, but I called it my “raindrop rock”). I’ve still got it somewhere. It’s just plain brown, though.

2 Likes

I’ve put most of my rock collection into the reptile terrariums, and now have an excuse to get more :wink:

2 Likes

Monster Hunter puts these on our «mission completed» cards, and I do like it! It’s cute!

Reading time! :open_book: :writing_hand:

Meth Exams, not even once.

:joy:

Eyes on the prize. :eyes:

Everyone’s always bullying Fuuka. :weary:

:blush:

3 Likes

Chapter 102

This should be a colorful chapter.

Participation

• I’m reading along!
  • Who has time to read? I’m studying for my make-up exam.

0 voters

2 Likes

Reading Yotsuba is cheating, apparently…

4 Likes

Page T+4, wanna buy Ena’s paint set? Here you go. Not entirely sure I (or my dictionary) would agree with some of those colour translations in the blues, mind.

Ena appears to have a twelve-colour set (I count eleven tubes on page T+1, and it’s much more reasonable to assume that there’s one somewhere out of sight than seven - plus the box isn’t that big… and also later on in the chapter Yotsuba picks up a twelve-colour set in the shop and says “this is what Ena has”), but the five colours visible in the fourth panel on this page appear to be only available in the eighteen-colour set (the twelve-colour set has セルリアンブルー in place of the あいいろ). Here’s the eighteen-colour set, with the colours in panel four starting at the fifth from the right.

Page T+9, heh, the requirement that she tidy up afterwards almost made her reconsider.

Page T+12, I think I’ll leave googling all the products in this shop as an exercise for someone else. :stuck_out_tongue: That said, are those dots on top of the tubes of glue in the first panel Japanese braille?

Page T+15. Hah, Yotsuba’s face. Wink, えへ~☆

Page T+18, I’m assuming this description of 人魚姫 is Disney’s The Little Mermaid? (Or maybe Mera from Aquaman. :stuck_out_tongue: )

Page T+19, oh boy, twenty-four colours. That’s when you know you’ve got it made. It does, in fact, contain エメラルドグリーン (middle row of colours, second from the right).

Heh, I thought of that card when I was reading the chapter too.

5 Likes