よつばと! Vol 3 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

Gah. I just realised I never read the last chapter, just answered questions about it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Had a quick glance over your notes for the next chapter. For page 25, you’ve got 帰って来る (かってくる). Did you misread the kanji? Because that’s 買ってくる. Sure, Yotsuba does say かえってこない later on, but you’ve got that down as a separate entry.

1 Like

Page 35

I know the discussion for chapter 16 doesn’t start for another day or so, but I was also studying it today as well and I just have to share an answer I got on Hi-native.

I asked about the ちゃった ending on こどものしかを虎が食べちゃった and got this wonderful reply:

“ちゃった” expresses sad feeling or she or he think it is not a good thing

If I translate,
ケーキを食べたの? Did you eat the cake?
ケーキを食べちゃったの?Oh… did you eat the cake?

A few month ago I quit my job and yesterday my friend said to me,
"仕事(しごと)を辞(や)めちゃったの?"in stead of “仕事を辞めたの?”
This means she feels sorry or she feels what I did was some kind of bad decision.

*仕事を辞める means “quit a job”

2 Likes

Didn’t see that one (mostly because it’s 2am so I was only having a brief glance), but it’s worth noting that ~ちゃった is an abbreviation of ~てしまった, which is the past tense of ~てしまう.

As an auxiliary verb, しまう can mean either “completely do (the verb)” or “doing (the verb) causes regret”.

2 Likes

Wow! You really know your stuff! Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge @Belthazar!

Good catch. I split the entries.

Finally read Chapter 15, it was so short :smile:

The next few chapters are pretty long in comparison, and I noticed that it gets a lot tougher when adults speak to adults. :smiley:

Well, that’s the spreadsheet taken care of (mostly).

I don’t understand this comment:
When used as a helping verb, くる can often be left without kanji. But why not just say 買う instead?

While checking the spreadsheet I found this page: RomajiDesu Perhaps add it to the resources? :stuck_out_tongue:
It lets you find words by using romaji (even if they’re conjugated), although you get better results with hiragana and kanji, and shows you the kanji even if it’s not common.

Example

Also these are useful: ~ておく & ~ないと

2 Likes

Thanks for the changes and the new resource.

I deleted that comment. I’m not sure why I left it, but I suppose I was wondering about why we’d want to have the nuance of 買って来る (to buy and come) vs just saying 買う (to buy). The addition of 来る/くる, doesn’t significantly change the meaning to me, but I am also not particularly used to thinking about how things “move”.

EDIT: See below. It was 帰ってくる that confuses me.

When the word was 帰ってくる, the addition of くる was a bit curious. When it’s 買ってくる, though, the meaning is plain - “buy something and come back”. It’s a reasonably common construction - as an auxiliary verb, ~てくる means “do (verb) and come back”.

帰ってくる confuses me a little - ordinarily, it’d be “return home and then come here”, but since “here” at this point in time is literally Asagi’s front doorstep, it seems a little superfluous.

Ah! That was it! 帰ってくる was the one. (This is combo’d with my mistaken kanji recognition earlier)

You’re already coming home, so why do you have to くる it too?

Aha. Found the alternate usage in the grammar dictionary - くる (2) “An auxiliary verb which indicates the beginning of some process or continuation of some action up to a current point of time.” I confess I never quite got the hang of this particular nuance of ~てくる (or ~ていく) when we learnt it in class, so I’m not sure I could translate the subtleties of Yotsuba’s line into English…

There are situations where you’d use 帰ってくる in the sense I mentioned previously, though - for example, if you get to the train station and discover you’ve forgotten your Suica card at home, you might tell your travelling companion “I’ll go home and get it, then come back” - i.e. 帰ってくる.

Oh of course, since the speaker location matters. The issue here is that “home” and “Yotsuba’s location” are pretty much the same.

Perhaps the emphasis isn’t just the fact that Asagi is going to go home, but also that she’s specifically coming home to Yotsuba.

Discussion of Chapter 16 starts here.

Alrighty. I’ve actually read the chapter this time. And the last one.

Actually reading it in greater context, I kinda feel like the 来ない in 帰ってこない is intended to imply “has not come” in a temporal sense - which is to say, “she hasn’t returned home yet”. Did you get “won’t return” from Google translate? :stuck_out_tongue:

(Also, the Community overlord is concerned that I’ve contributed more than 20% of the posts in this thread, and wants me to shut up and let someone else talk. :shushing_face:)

1 Like

Temporal? I wonder if it’s common to think that way… Yotsuba does say 早く帰って来ないかな, though, so perhaps it is that kind of thing. (I checked Google Translate after getting confused, but there wasn’t really any change after adding てくる. Hence the question. :D)

“I wonder if she won’t be coming home soon”

(I’m guessing we probably don’t have as many readers this time around. Feel free to post as much as you want. :slight_smile: )

1 Like

I also understood that part as: “I wonder if she won’t be coming home soon.” :slight_smile:

(あさぎが)早く帰って来ないかな.-
早く - early/quickly
帰って来ない - to not come home
かな - I wonder

I wonder if Asagi isn’t coming home soon. (Since I want my お土産)

1 Like

I’m kind of amused by Yotsuba’s creative re-ordering of her exchange with Asagi when relating it to Ena. Even aside from the fact that Yotsuba never directly asked Asagi for a souvenir (she only mentioned it after Torako had already driven off), Asagi certainly never at any point said はいはい.

2 Likes

Augh! I somehow missed this completely. I had no idea we were going right into Volume 3. We originally did Volume 1, then took a break for a while (to start Kiki’s Delivery Service), and then started Volume 2 sometime later, so I assumed a similar pattern would happen before diving into V3. Didn’t see any surveys about it or anything.

But here we are, and now I need to catch up… but I’ll do it! Can’t wait to join you all again.

3 Likes

That was a fun chapter (#16). But man, the mom was a bit cruel to young Asagi, wasn’t she (telling her to find a 5-leaf clover)? かわいそう!

3 Likes