よつばと! Vol 3 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

On the topic of those 線香花火, I found this video pretty interesting as well!

I have really been missing Japanese Style Originator, and this video kind of scratched that itch :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

During my first visit to Japan back in August 2010, we saw a fireworks display outside a Donki, but we passed it by, reasoning that we didn’t really have anywhere to let them off. I wish I’d thought to look for some senko hanabi, though - they’re small-scale enough that we probably could have done them on the street outside our hotel.

Though, oof, that constant American-style stressing of “ha-NA-bi”. Just put the stress on the first syllable, and it sounds much better - “HA-na-bi”.

3 Likes

Wow! Is that the type where lots of cherry blossom petals come out once you fire them off? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I’m sure I have no idea what you mean. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Ok, I didn’t know what was wrong with the pronunciation. :rofl: I might have been a bit stressed about it.

So it’s ha-NA-mi and HA-na-bi, right?

No, it’s more like, Japanese is unstressed, but since English is stressed, the closest way for an English speaker to emulate that is to put the stress on the first syllable. However, English speakers have a tendency to stress the second syllable of Japanese words instead, and I’m really not sure why. sa-SHI-mi and na-RU-to and po-KEY-mon and so forth.

But I digress.

1 Like

Still confused, then.

Oh, are you referring to the fact that I accidentally wrote “hanami” instead of “hanabi” in my post before @NicoleIsEnough pointed it out?

Becase that’s fake news. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I just want to know how to pronounce the words… :disappointed_relieved:

I can recommend Forvo to answer this question :upside_down_face:

It’s Pronunciations for 花見 and Pronunciations for 花火 respectively.

1 Like

What about the いっちゃ part of this sentence? Can’t figure out what it means

2 Likes

ちゃ is a contraction of ては

It’s the いってはいけない (must not or don’t say) construction but more casual so the ては contracts and the いけない is replaced with だめ

5 Likes

Wow, wouldn’t have guessed, but makes sense! Thanks!!

2 Likes

Also, welcome to the world where not having kanji requires you to pay more attention to context.

Without the kanji, these いっちゃダメ would be written the same:

5 Likes

Wow, didn’t even think about that, thanks for the examples!
Even more tricky. And I also got used to Yotsuba saying 言う ゆう, which doesn’t even apply here

1 Like

thanks for pointing this out, it flew right over my head :joy:

1 Like

Also I found this thread recently in the forums:

Too bad it’s closed, but still a very useful reference!

2 Likes

Nice thread, I saw it yesterday when you replied to me and I kind of got lost in it, there is so much useful stuff!

1 Like

Sorry if I missed the discussion entirely, but I didn’t see anyone explain the pun on page 138, and the vocab sheet is totally wrong on this one’s usage I think.

風香 says 肩たたき券だけに凝ってる

They’re both saying “For a shoulder massage ticket, it’s so elaborate!” but 凝る has a second meaning of “becoming stiff” so the pun is that it’s elaborate, but also it’s a massage coupon for when his muscles are stiff! Totally missed that the first time around!

5 Likes

I am not an active part of this community, so I didn’t want to change anything.

But I think the たのんだ on page 24-25 is not entrusted, but requested.

The reason is that the interlocutor of Yotsuba (Ena I think) says that: Asagi is not really going on a trip… Yotsuba says: but I saw her leave somewhere with a car…so…Ena says: so you asked her to buy you something?..Yotsuba says: yes, and she said yes when I requested her… etc. So now Yotsuba is waiting for Asagi with excitement.

I would recommend someone to reread it in case of doubt.