よつばと! Vol 11 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

Very true, and, as we’ve said, back in volume one his artwork was no where near what it is now (though there was more blank space on the pages back then to write my notes on!).

Oh, nicely spotted! And yes, that could explain a lot!

It is possible I suppose to have a string of shrines along the top of a hilly ridge, but I when I think properly about it, I’m sure you’re both right, this has to be the same shrine! Nice discussion though! :smiley: :shinto_shrine: :+1:

2 Likes

Regarding the stairs and shrines: Let’s not forget this week’s lines where Yotsuba says she and her dad climbed those stairs, and that her dad climbed the steps really fast.

3 Likes

Yes, but she also said “It’s not four. But it’s four”. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

It makes sense in context, okay? D:<

4 Likes

It’s Yotsuba, she always climbs over Jumbo and does all sorts of acrobatics, you should be used to it at this point. :stuck_out_tongue: I hadn’t read it, so I didn’t know it literally happened in that page, as well. :sweat_smile:

There seems to be an implied, he looked at the pizza menu for a few seconds, thinking.

Anywho, time for actually reading the chapters. (Just a month in, no biggie. :sweat_smile:)

Although, for some reason, I think I read the うどん chapter before. :thinking:

Chapter 70 time! :ramen:

This is going to be me later today; I’m going to eat some ramen with friends. :drooling_face:
(I know it’s not the same, but it’s the closest I can get.)

H-how does Yotsuba just understand everything they say? :sweat_smile:
Or does she just nod and forget about it?

:man_facepalming: All this time, and I just noticed 豚骨 is pig bones. :pig: :meat_on_bone:

Cute chapter. :blush:

Chapter 71 time :pizza::alarm_clock:

:rofl:

うおっ!? 確かに、すごいな!良い趣味です。

You can’t just not buy pizza after this.

Btw, I get the meaning, but I don’t understand what they’re talking about? :sweat_smile:

BONK
I was going to ask about this, like, “How does she know?”, but she does go check in the previous panels.
image :stuck_out_tongue:

:joy: Classic!

Well, two chapters for now is fine. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was going to say that I almost forgot about it, but I did! It’s on Fridays. :sweat_smile:

No more chestnut picking, boys! :chestnut: :no_entry_sign: We paparazzi now! :camera_flash:

Give it up for Chapter 74!

5 Likes

Page 146. I’m having trouble with Yotsuba’s final line. I think I understand the gist of it, but I’m missing some nuance on the やがる.

「こいつはいそがしくなってきやがった」

The parts I do understand:

• こいつは: She’s talking about the camera.
  • いそがしくなってきた: The camera has come to become busy as it will be taking pictures of so many people.

What does やがった (past tense of やがる) bring into the meaning? Japanese-to-English dictionaries note this auxiliary (which attaches to the い-stem, here き from くる) as meaning to have the nerve to and go on to say indicates hatred, contempt, or disdain for another’s action.

So, is Yotsuba basically saying, “This one has the nerve to come to be so busy”?

The descriptions I see for やがる make it feel out of place here to me, but that may be because I’m looking at it with an English language lens. For Yotsuba’s use here, is this common for Japanese children to say, or is this an example of where she’s mimicking the type of thing she’s heard from adults, such as her father, Jumbo, and Yanda?

2 Likes

It does seem to be pretty harsh, so I imagine she heard it from one of the adults.

2 Likes

Ah, this is the camera he’s been planning on buying for several chapters. When did he actually get it?

Here’s Yotsuba’s camera in real life: Linky. That thing’s teensy.

4 Likes

With Thing from Addams Family for scale:

scale136

5 Likes

This chapter is so cuteeeee! :smile: I died when she finally remembered to ask permission from the bike shop guy (after making him do that super かっこいい pose xD)
Honestly, Yotsuba is me as a child, when my parents got me a camera I took so many pictures of random things. (A tendency that still comes back sometimes LOL) Cameras are so much fun.

5 Likes

:eyes: メリークリスマスみんな!:christmas_tree:
それに、あけましておめでとう、今年もよろしくお願いします. :grin:

Cameras are a thing of the past! :movie_camera:

What better way to spend the holidays than with friends (and family)! :people_holding_hands: :partying_face:

Give it up for Chapter 75!

友達は大事なものですね。:blush:

4 Likes

Me before:

Me this week:

Ah, what’s the usual start date again? =P

3 Likes

I changed the next start date to one week from now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is it typical to toss fully-sodden stuffed animals directly into the dryer?

Never mind the bear, though - I want to know the mystery behind the chestnuts spontaneously generating grubs.

Love how she perks up at the mention of croquette curry, though.

1 Like

I’m trying to figure out who sniffs a teddy bear after it’s been in a dog’s mouth.

(Same dog from chapter 5? Different wall and gate, but that can be due to updated art experience/style.)

2 Likes

Perhaps more to the point, who would be the second person to sniff a teddy bear after it’s been in a dog’s mouth, and the first person has sniffed it and exclaimed it stunk of dog?

1 Like

:sweat_smile:

:cold_sweat:

1 Like

Chapter 76.

3 Likes

Throughout this volume, I can’t get a grasp on whether I think Yanda’s a bad guy or a good guy. Having been around my nephews when they were younger, though, I think mostly I understand him more than back when I read this series in English.

Asagi, on the other hand… Mention the bugs a little sooner? And maybe when your little sister is actually paying attention? (But I guess she does get a point or two for the whole doctor routine.)

And…I didn’t even notice until the last time Yotsuba uses the word, that she’s saying しゅづつ. I read it as しゅじゅつ every time without realizing it…

2 Likes