よつばと! Vol 11 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

Wooo よつば!久しぶりね ^^
I want udon now. I love those fat noodles xD
That was a nice, chill way to start off the volume ^^

I figured it out!
It’s 商い中, which is apparently a more traditionally Japanese way of saying 営業中. HiNative says it’s favored by shops that are going for a more traditional atmosphere (such as noodle shops).

6 Likes

I quite like udon noodles, but the soup rarely fills me with joy…

3 Likes

Dang, so true.

I love ramen broth, but I love udon noodles.

3 Likes

Someone should combine them into one glorious dish. Radon. No, wait… umen?

Eh, I reckon someone already has. Nearest I’ve been able to find, though, is ankake udon.

4 Likes

What? :0 This was yesterday? I thought it was Saturday. :open_mouth:

Feel free to discuss at your leisure.

I forgot that よつばと! is one thread for the whole volume. I could have been discussing this week’s chapter since this morning already…

I know someone’s been waiting to read the discussion:

waiting%20037

(I hope I have the page numbers right.)

Page 35, after Yotsuba’s father gives examples of things ordered, Yotsuba uses the word せいようふう. I can’t believe I didn’t realize this was 西洋風. (I had to look it up.) To repent, I’ll play more Japanese video games in kana-only mode.

Page 37, I spent longer than I should have trying to figure what Yotsuba meant by 「これはあかいからからい?」 I had difficulty on parsing it out. Once I figured it out (asking if it’s spicy because it’s red) I realized I was overthinking it. From now on, I shall recommend to anyone not to overthink the words of a four-year-old.

Same page: 「これはみどりだから…バッタ?」 I had actually skipped the last line, then reading this one caused me to go back to it and understand it. As for this one, I knew she couldn’t be saying バター. Looking up バッタ has taught me that the sense of children…is nonsense. (You’d think having young nephews, I’d know this by now.)

Page 43, Yotsuba’s 「ぴざここです」 sign makes me feel much better about my Japanese handwriting. (It’s not a very high hurdle, though.)

Page 50, my small victory was being able to recognize and read 想像 (WK level 13).

Page 55, empty pizza box. This is just bad parenting, not letting Yotsuba experience refrigerated pizza for breakfast the morning after! (I know, it’s not for everyone.)

6 Likes

I love Koiwai’s immediate look of suspicion on page 34. “Precisely how selectively has Yotsuba’s mail filing system been working?”

Heh, page 50 is an entire page of just the delivery guy handing over the order. Yotsuba looks ready to explode by the final panel.

Think it’s just bad childing. Koiwai intended for there to be pizza left over. (Also, it’s page 59. You’re four pages out.)

2 Likes

Page 33

This is the only text I’m having trouble with this chapter. じーだけのははずれでもうらがしろいのはすこしあたり

Can someone help me out with this? Not even sure where to separate out the words.

Otherwise, fun chapter. And I definitely want some pizza now. :pizza:

1 Like

This should help with the parsing:

• じー = letter(s) (not sure why the ー)
  • だけ = only
  • の = makes it a noun (thing that is only letters)
  • は = topic marker (makes it clear which mail is being talked about)
  • はずれ = failure

• でも = however
  • うら = back
  • が = subject marker (assigns subject back [above] the property of being white [below])
  • しろい = white
  • の = makes it a noun (thing that has a white back)
  • は = topic marker (makes it clear which mail is being talked about)
  • すこし = little
  • あたり = success
4 Likes

That is incredibly help, thank you so much!

Not realising that じー was 字 set me up tor failure from the beginning. Haha. I was also thinking that はずれ was part of a verb, which was throwing me off. Makes sense now though!

3 Likes

I originally thought of じー like a “stare” sound, which had me confused initially. Like, it’s a failure to only stare at it? (But even if that made sense, the part after でも fails to connect.)

And, seeing はは right after の always throws me off.

4 Likes

Is it a new chapter yet?

I actually almost kind of maybe don’t mind Yanda so much in the soap bubble chapter. Just a little.

3 Likes

It is! It seems most of us are pretty busy. :sweat_smile:

What soap bubble chapter?

Speak for yourself. I’ve been waiting here with book in hand… figuratively. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

It seems most of me is pretty busy. :sweat_smile:

Also, it’s every week, why didn’t you say something. :joy:

3 Likes

Morbid fascination. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Welp, in lieu of an actual chapter 72 announcement, I went ahead and read it. Now I see what you mean by bubbles.

That was a good solid clunk to the head on page 90…

2 Likes

I could feel that clunk when I read it.

2 Likes

I honestly never remember what day of the week the new chapter is supposed to start so if someone could announce it that would actually be super helpful :sweat_smile:

Edited because I literally just noticed there’s a schedule in the first post, I never knew that was there (like ever, in any of the threads xD)

…Anyway, my point is that If there aren’t announcements anymore, it’s fine, but just make it clear that that’s going to be the way it works now, so I know not to wait and to start keeping track of it myself. xD The nebulousness is kinda killing me over here.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, I thought I would see how this worked, because I wasn’t being punctual with the announcements, but it seems that it was better before. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes