のんのんびより: Chapter 8 Discussion

Not much to add except I read this chapter late at night and afterwards dreamed that I was explaining some N3 related grammar points from the chapter to someone at a party. I will add 駄菓子屋 as a topic for discussion with penpal and further investigation. I’ve tried だんご but not かき氷 yet.

3 Likes

I’ve tried かき氷 from a Chinese cafe but apparently it was more creamy than Japanese-style, rather than pure shaved ice with syrup. Still pretty dang tasty though.

1 Like

If you’re ever in NYC’s East Village, check out Mango Mango for great Chinese-style ice (and other things).

It is different than Japanese かき氷 for sure. I’ve never had anything quite like 宇治金時(うじきんとき) outside Japan. I think I like あんみつ more, though.

1 Like

I tried だんご once because a friend bought it, didn’t like the texture.
かき氷 is pretty common in México, so it’s pretty good. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Obligatory video about dango.

5 Likes

Obligatory dango plushie I bought in a convention. :blush:

5 Likes

Obligatory ねこだんご

6 Likes

This was my favourite chapter so far. I could understand most of it (with word lookups from the vocab list) and some of situations were kinda funny. I laughed a bit when they both ate bitter ice cream in silence. Further more chibi one decided she wants to be a grown up so she had to eat the かき氷 but then she got brain freeze :DDD.

I could not understand interaction in 130 page middle panel やっぱり夏はかき氷ですよね。。。same for the response she got. Would it be something like “it sure is”?

Basically, “Like I thought, summer is shaved ice, right?” (i.e. something like “You’ve gotta have shaved ice, since it’s summer”).

2 Likes