ちいさな森のオオカミちゃん 🌳 Week 7 (The Wolf of the Small Forest Book Club)

I’m confused about this one:

pg59

みあ:えぇーなんで!せっかくオオカミちゃんと遊ぼうと思ってきたのに
Mia: ehhh… why! Even though I made the effort to come to play with with Okami-chan

I intuited that translation too, but the と思… Is throwing me off. Doesn’t that grammar point indicate “I thought…”

FYI, if you want to have longer spoiler blocks, have the spoiler start on a new line like so:

[spoiler]
Stuff

More Stuff
[/spoiler]

Or just use a details tag, since those can have titles, which is better for organization:
[details=Title here]
Stuff here
[\details]

p59

https://jlptsensei.com/learn-japanese-grammar/ようと思う-you-to-omou-meaning/
This is the grammar pattern that you are looking for, it describes your intention in a very roundabout, therefore more polite way.
It can both represent actually thinking about doing something (so for example “I was thinking of going to the Alps this summer”), or just what you did (like in this case)

Oops, I Hit submit and didn’t look. Sorry about that! Thanks for the tip I’ve changed it

I’m absolutely not stalking and waiting for the week 8 thread to go live… or anything…

I’m procrastinating on a crafting project, okay? Look, sometimes I adore cross stitch, sometimes I just wanna read Japanese and be astounded that I am kinda starting to understand, even if so much of grammar flies over my head… but I’m working on that aspect! Bunpro is helping, sometimes I “guess” what the answer is, only because one “sounds right” in my head, and I become excited that MAYBE I am learning… maybe.

Lol, time to join the Crocheting kanjis thread

Crochet isn’t cross stitch. :wink:

I’m aware, I did both at some point, but it’s handicraft, so the connection is there

Fair enough!

My current long-term project is mildly related to this manga. Because it’s two wolves in a forest. :smiley:

(And 26% done.)

Can anyone help me understand? :tired_face:

I thought @Gorbit99 answered the question in the p59 dropdown:

Is there still some confusion from that answer? I’m not reading along, but I might be able to help as long as I know what needs explained more. :grin:

I finished this chapter! I’m glad I started reading this manga.

Oh geez…thank you… I didn’t even look at the tag at the bottom of their post because I was focused on the spoiler tag tips. Didn’t realize there was an answer to my grammar question as well! Appreciate it. I’ll see myself out of this week’s thread :sweat_smile:

You’re not alone, I totally missed it too the first time :slight_smile: but then I thought it would be atypical of Gorbit to not have answered, and spotted it anyway:D

Translation attempt for this week. Even if I don’t have as much time for studying as I’d like, reading is the one thing I should probably keep up with. This week was good though, it’s getting a little bit better. Although for some reason, the word ちゃんと just doesn’t want to stick with me. :sweat_smile:

Pages 61-63

ミア:遊びに来てあげたわ!
Mia: I came to visit!

ミア:せっかくオオカミちゃんと遊ぼうと思って来たのに。
Mia: Even though I came to play with you.

Pages 64-66

ミア:暗くなる前にちゃんと帰るし。
Mia: I’ll definitely go home before it gets dark.

ミア:森の奥には行かないわ!
Mia: I won’t go deep into the forest!

ミア:実はね。いいものを持ってきたの。
Mia: To tell the truth, I came to bring something good.

ミア:ここに足をかけて…
Mia: You put your feet on here…

ミア:乗って歩くの。
Mia: …get on and walk.

Pages 67-69

オオカミ:あ!もしかしてこれなら…
Wolf: Ah! Perhaps if this is the case…

オオカミ:一人でも大きくなれるかも!!
Wolf: …I might get bigger by myself!!

ミア:オオカミちゃんもやってみる?
Mia: Do you want to try to do it as well?

オオカミ:だいぶできるようになったよ!
Wolf: I’m able to do it well now!

ミア:あたしが見込んだとおりね。
Mia: I expected as much.

オオカミ:みあちゃんたちはそろそろ帰らないと!はいっこれ返すね。
Wolf: You guys have to return home soon! Here, I’ll return this.

ミア:それオオカミちゃんにあげる。
Mia: I’ll give that to you.

ミア:この前のお礼。
Mia: As thanks for before.

Pages 70-72

オオカミ:またはだめだよー!!
Wolf: You can’t do it again!!

オオカミ:ちゃんと帰ってくれてよかった…
Wolf: Thank goodness they actually went home…

オオカミ:明日みんなに見てもらおう!
Wolf: Let’s see everyone tomorrow!

オオカミ:それでね。背が高くなるから。
Wolf: With that…I’ll get taller.

オオカミ:驚かせるのに使えると思うの!
Wolf: I think I will use them to frighten people!

It didn’t yet stick ちゃんと, huh?

p64-66

This sort of て is less about "doing something to do something else, rather it’s "to do something and at the same time do something else. 持ってくる is usually just “brought along”, and in the same manner 持っていく is to take along.

p70-72

使える is “to be usable” (it’s actually the potential form of 使う, but many dictionaries have it as an individual word). So this is “I think this is usable to scare people” or “I think I can scare people with this”

I finished this chapter. :sweat_smile: I still look up quite a few things, but what a cute chapter, great manga too! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’m also really happy I started reading this manga! Great pick @ChristopherFritz :heavy_heart_exclamation::heart:

Beautiful art! Totally not distracting me from my current reading attempts. :joy:

Where can I see more of these works from you? :slight_smile:

Uhh, I don’t really post my crafting anywhere online reliably. :slight_smile:

But if you want to see other neat cross stitches by The Internet, the reddit r/crossstitch is a really great wholesome community.

p. 67

I keep getting confused who is speaking! :weary: Or about what, like when two pages ago when Ookami was talking about herself. The hitori should have made it clear, but that was my first encounter of it with that meaning.

In this case however, the speech bubbles have inverse pointers, which I usually overlook until after I either guess the meaning and take another look, or read the translations in this forum - and take another look!

It gets easier over time.

At least, until you get to a comic that sometimes doesn't include a tail when the speaker is right there.

Or one that makes it so small that you can't really see it...

image

Well, good luck!