ちいさな森のオオカミちゃん 🌳 Week 2 (The Wolf of the Small Forest Book Club)

That’s me as well, and when diving into the details, I think it’s because SRS is designed for effective reviewing, not learning. That’s why WK starts with a lesson and sentence examples, not a review. SRS can work well enough for learning so I’m not saying that’s not possible, e.g., the core 2k deck, etc, but if someone isn’t reading a lot alongside it to notice and learn how those words are used in context my sense is that it often falls over because memory for language wants multiple contexts and emotional responses. Level 60 posts and reset posts on here bear that out pretty explicitly as well. And if reading elicits an emotion or is highly memorable - I’m guessing that’s what is flipping the occasional leech to a word you’ll never forget with no further SRS needed.

After reading this week’s pages, an oddity stuck with me that’s not quite language-related but concerns the story. Just tossing it up here for discussion. Spoilers for pages 9 and 10.

On page 9, the wolf tries to verbally push back against Mia, although not quite forcefully. Being cute and awkward as she is… Mia totally ignores this, and orders the wolf to follow. So far, so good. Then on page 10 we go into a montage of the two of them playing, for the entire day. The page is a very cute spread, but the transition felt a bit jarring to me. Do I have to get used to the pacing of manga in general, or is this specific to this book? I was just curious whether this struck anyone else as well.

Time-skips like these where you see a few fragments of a longer period of time are fairly common in manga, yes. They serve essentially the same purpose as a montage in film - i.e. “a lot happens and it takes a while, but we’re not gonna bug you with all of it”.

I’m not used to manga at all either. I was thinking at first before I read the text and went on a bit further that there was something sinister going on and Mia had hypnotised オオカミちゃん and was maybe leading her into a trap :joy:

Then the realisation, oh wait, no this is just a really cute chilled out story.

こんにちはみなさん!

I’ll just use this small little post as leverage to hinge me back into participation. :joy: My time for Japanese unexpectedly dropped below minimum requirement, meaning I barely managed to get my WK reviews done for the past five days. :sob:

But the initial experience of the reading (ABBC and Satori) really convinced me, and I want to get myself back on schedule asap! I should be able to catch up by the end of the week or during next at the latest, but I’m telling you this as a kind of emotional pledge to not lose sight of it completely. :innocent:

See you around!

you can do it
:star_struck:

Do it for the cute wolf girl!

image

I really need to stock up on insulin after this

True, but more so for the sly fox girl. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Bottom of page 13…I’m struggling with these bits of words/phrases. Or are they just mumbly noises?

p13

You mean ぽろっ and ぎょっ? Those are onomatopoeia, they represent sounds, kinda like BAM or CRASH in western cartoons, except they are used way more. Tofugu has an article listing some. Often times these can be used in actual speech, if you place a と after them, and this is usually how you find them in dictionaries too.

Here’s ぽろっと
Here’s ぎょっと

For page 14, I was interpreting it more as she is questioning what to do. So more like “in such a situation, in order to stop tears…???” – because in the next panel the memory of the bear comforting her pops into her head and she has her answer.

Page 14

For this line, I break it down as:

こういう時(とき) = a time like this = this situation

涙(なみだ)を止(と)める = to stop tears

には = in order to

Together: “In order to stop tears in this situation…”

At this point, she isn’t thinking yet of a past situation she was crying but instead is trying to figure out what to do in this situation.

Example of こういう時 in another manga

At daycare, Yua-chan brings an unknown girl over to a caretaker, explaining that the girl says she’s lost.

image

The caretaker escorts the two inside, and she thinks:

「えと…こういう時(とき)は警察(けいさつ)…?」

“Um, a time like this, the police…?”

“Um, in this situation, (do I contact) the police…?”

Another Example

Takeo sneaks to school at night to recover his homework that bullies snuck out of his backpack and put in his desk. He becomes scared of being in the school in the dark and can’t move until his mother shows up, guided by a friend who suspected Takeo was there.

Takeo’s mother hits him on the head, saying:

image

「こういう時(とき)は大人(おとな)に言(い)いな!」

“A time like this, talk to an adult!”

“In this situation, talk to an adult!”

Wow, even the rabbit holes have rabbit holes here :slight_smile: Thanks – that Tofugo article is a great help!

These pages were a bit harder than last week but I still feel quite confident. I actually have fun reading this one compared to Ruri :smiley:

Page 11

日が暮れてきたし
Is the し again the more formal continuing form instead of して ?

帰ろっか
Is this the volitional form? And the か the question particle? How does this work with the っ abbreviation?

Page 12

ママは弟のこと
So this would mean that the brother is on moms mind? Is that a whole sentence or does this only work with the rest of this panel?

おとうとくんがおきるでしょ
So it’s like “your brother will probably wake up”?

ママってば
I understand that ってば is used to convey annoyance in the form of “I said …”. So with the ママ before it, does she want to say that she called out to her mom multiple times now? Or does it mean that she is annoyed with ママ?

みあはもうお姉ちゃんなんだからわかるでしょ
What does the なんだから convey exactly?

ママは忙しいからまたあとでね
Is から still “because” here? Like “See you later because I am busy right now”?

ママのばか
Why の?

p11

In this case し acts like a reason marker. “Since the sun is going down, should we start going?”
Tofugu article about it here

It’s a common slang contraction. Volitional + question particle ends up as っか. Especially for stuff like 行こっか.

p12

That’s not even the full sentence in the manga itself though. I can only guess that this is part of the first panel, as in
“ママは弟が生まれてから弟のことばかり…”
Which in itself is an unfinished sentence, probably intending something like “only cared for him” or similar.

It’s “You will wake you brother [if you don’t quieten up]”

It’s basically “But mom…”

Adds the なんだ part adds emphasis. The から part is the usual “since”.
“You are a big sister, so you [should] understand”.

Ye

I’m not sure about that. My best guess is that it’s trying to be a subordinate clause to some omitted sentence, something like “I hate that mom is an idiot” or something, but absolutely no concrete clue.

p. 12

See Particle の: Noun Modifier under “apposition”

It’s basically telling you that both ママ and ばか are referring to the same thing - and in that sense it’s pretty much saying “my mom’s an idiot”. It’s pretty common to see it used this way.

Oh neat, that’s new info

The trick to making links to specific parts of a tofugu article is to right click and copy the link from the table of contents, like this

Though it would be great if the section titles had those anchor links that are common on these kinds of pages @Mods that’s maybe an idea.

Thanks!

Page 11

How do you go about deciding what it is? Both make sense, don’t they? I guess it’s not really a formal situation, but iirc the instance where it was used last week wasn’t either.

Page 12

So you mean what is missing is a verb indicating “care for”?

So でしょ can be used for low and high confidence assertions?

Is there some article online that explains the usage of this?

Aside from the explanation @yamitenshi provided…

... _____のばか specifically shows up a lot in manga!

image

image

image

image

image

image

Literally right after I learned about it, I had it come up in Nagatoro. Frequency bias, am I right?

p11

I don’t think し could act as a continuative in the sense that you think it would. Generally speaking, it’s the “not only x, but also y” form. But that would require both parts to be a descriptive sentence, and here the second one is a question.

p12

Or something similar. Sadly I’m not a mind-reader yet, that’s probably why I suck at Japanese this much, but something like that, or maybe “he was the only one important for her”, or “he got all the attention” would fit. Pick your poison.

でしょう is almost always high confidence. It’s the sort of “right?” you would put at the end of an argument you are decently sure about, or you have evidence to back it up.

Probably, but it’s just なのだ being shortened, which you might recognize as the explanatory sentence ending.