それでも歩は寄せてくる | Week 7 Discussion ♟

Well - 1 chapter down - usually I read on the weekend, but was away this weekend. I enjoyed chapter 11 quite a bit - very cute. Going to tackle 12 today.

7 Likes

Hi everyone! First post here :wave:

I have a question about the last panel in chapter 11 (page 102, bottom):

I’m not sure about the meaning of this final conversation.

Urushi: It seems that you like me.

Here comes my struggle:
Option 1 (DeepL gives me this translation):
Ayumu: I’m not so sure about that.

Option 2 :
Ayumu: That is precisely the case, isn’t it?

Urushi: Why aren’t you always so straightforward there!

Due to Urushi’s response I’d think that option 1 is the way to go for. However, when I’m looking up the meaning for どう as in それはどうですかね, translators like Akebi propose that the meaning is precisely.

How did you guys translate it? :slight_smile:

6 Likes
last panel in chapter 11 (page 102, bottom):

Hmm… Jisho doesn’t show “precisely” as a definition for 「どう」, but it does for 「ど」. I’m not sure if Akebi or Jisho is wrong/incomplete, but either way I think the meaning we’re looking for is “the said”:
Screenshot_2021-08-26_15-58-03

…referring to her previous statement of “you like me”. Honestly I’m not confident in the meaning of the sentence exactly, but I translated it to: “About that, I’m not sure”, which fits well with the conversation (Urushi thinking he’s not being honest with her in the next sentence), and matches up with DeepL.

As always, anyone with more experience, please correct me :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

どう here is I believe the interrogative どう that takes as answer こう or そう。It means how, in what way.
かね, Jisho tells us, is an interrogative sentence-ending particle expressing doubt.
So if それはどうですか means how is that?, then the ね adds some extra doubt.
I understand it a bit like “Is that so? Not sure.”

(sorry for still not participating consistently. I’ve read a few stories here and there, and I happened to read this one, but I’ve skipped a few before that)

10 Likes

FWIW, I also interpreted it this way.

5 Likes

Fwiw, you’re totally right (not that I ever doubted you). I happened to see this while skimming through Genki. Volume 1 Chapter 3 vocabulary: 「どうですか」= “How about…?; How is…?”.

I theoretically read that chapter already, but that was months ago. Seeing how I was skimming through it because I was considering picking it back up again, I think I probably should make a push to actually finish it.

5 Likes