すぎる auxiliary verb

Slightly confused and hoping for some clarification in regards to すぎる.

The following sentance came up whilst I was doing reviews on BunPro:

この寿司すし美味おいすぎる

This sushi is too delicious.

My Genki textbook states that すぎる is to be used when something is beyond normal or proper with the suggestion that you don’t welcome it. With this in mind, is the BunPro sentance incorrect or am I missing some nuance to it?

2 Likes

I would similarly interpret the English translation as being “negative” in an obviously hyperbolic way. The word “too” in English implies a negative connotation, even if the descriptor is inherently positive.

I can imagine saying something like “man, this is too delicious, I can’t stop eating it”. Or perhaps “ugh, this is too delicious, how come a seven-year-old can make better brownies than me?”

Edit: I should add that I have definitely seen the Japanese version used this way, so I don’t think I’m just projecting my English context onto the situation

13 Likes

That’s great thanks. I assumed that was how it was being used at first glance but the paragraph in Genki had me second guessing myself.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.