しろくまカフェ: Week 6 Discussion (Chapters 11-13)

滋養 :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you. I knew there had to be at least one out there, since I’ve seen しよう.

1 Like

I’ve been quite busy, but able to catch up.
The translations help me a lot, and I have the feeling the participation died as expected. The same happened for Yotsuba and there were not line by line translations there…

1 Like

Finishing up details on page 61 here (except for the last panel, as that connects to the first panel on page 62).

Page 61 continued, grammar, vocabulary, and kanji

After バイトパンダさん tells about receiving chocolates from a group of high school girls, he says:

「でも "下ぶくれ体型がかわいい"だって!」

Used at the start of a sentence, でも has a meaning like “but” or “however”. パンダさん then follows by quoting what one of the girls said about him.

When quoting someone, you can finish the quote with と言った. More casually, you can say って言った. However, パンダさん uses だって, ending the sentence there.

In the book “A Dictionary of Japanese Particles” (published by Kodansha), author Sue. A. Kawashima wrote about だって:

“Placed at the end of a sentence, expresses surprise (and sometimes disapproval) after quoting something someone else has said.”

パンダさん expresses his ショック that he’s liked for his rotundness. He uses the word 気に入られてた to refer to their liking.

Because 気に入る is fairly common expression, it’s good to be familiar with it. 気に入る aligns with English phrases such as: to like, to be pleased with, to be delighted with, to take a liking to.

In its usage here, there’s a bit of conjugation happening with the 入る portion. First, it becomes passive. パンダさん isn’t saying he’s ショックed to like this about himself; rather, he’s ショックed to have this about himself be liked (by someone else). This conjugation alone gives us 入られる.

Next, the verb is conjugated to its て form, so it can connect with another verb. This becomes 入られて.

The second verb, which attaches, is いる. As seen earlier in the book, when いる attaches to a verb, it shows that the verb is being done. (Example: 見る = to look; 見ている = looking. Likewise, 飲む = to drink; 飲んでいる = drinking.)

This changes the meaning of the passive “be liked” into “being liked”. However, there’s one final conjugation taking place, on the second verb いる. It’s the past tense, so it reads as いた. Rather than “being liked”, we have “was being liked”.

In speech, ている may be spoken as てる. That happens here as well, so rather than 気に入られていた, パンダさん says 気に入られてた.

“It’s a bit of a shock having been liked in such a place.”

Note that パンダさん uses トコ rather than とこ for “place”. I imagine this is to emphasize, like “Why is this the part of me they like?” I get the impression that とこ isn’t specifically referring to the physical location of パンダ that was liked, but rather a conceptual area, such as “this aspect of me” rather than “this specific physical attribute of me”.

常勤パンダさん asks what バイトパンダさん would rather be liked for. This gives another conjugation for 気に入る. Rather than ending in いた, it ends in たかった, which is the past tense of たい.

The たい form of a verb is used to express one’s wish or desire. 「行きたい」 is “want to go”; 「食べたい」 is “want to eat”; 「泳ぎたい」 is “want to swim”. In this case, it’s being used as “want to be liked”.

The past tense of たい is たかった, giving the final meaning “wanted to be liked”. “Then, what did you want to be liked for?” The sentence ends in の, as a soft question mark.

バイトパンダさん considers, 「…仕事がんばってるトコとか?」

仕事 is a level 11 vocabulary in WaniKani, meaning “work” or “occupation”. It’s a combination of 仕 (level 4, “doing”) and 事 (level 9, “action”. Doing an action sounds close enough to work to me (unless it’s バイトパンダさん taking a nap…)

がんばる appears again, this time conjugated as がんばってる. This is the て form of がんばて, with the verb いる attached. If がんばる means “to do one’s best”, then がんばっている would be “doing one’s best”. Of course, the い in る is dropped in speech here.

The final word, とか, has the meaning of “such as”, and is used to list one or more of a list of items.

“…something like doing my best at work?”

The aside text for 常勤パンダさん is, 「がんばってたっけ?」 According to sources such as Tae Kim’s post on っけ, っけ is used when the speaker is trying to recall something. Tae Kim notes that a noun must have だ attached before adding っけ, but だっけ and たっけ are commonly used for other types of word (parts of speech) as well. The た should not be mistaken for past tense on a verb.

“How was it that one does their best?” The only requirement for a panda to make a fan of an audience is to be a cute panda, so 常勤パンダさん doesn’t even recall what qualifies as doing one’s best at this job.

常勤パンダさん explains that the 人気 (make your way to WaniKani level 4 to learn this one) of pandas is 9割 (level 23 kanji, here meaning 90%) because of their 見ため (which is a lot easier to find when looking it up as 見た目, meaning “appearance”).

6 Likes

All these comments are awesome!

頑張って!

I wanted to at least write up through the end of page 62 due to the final panel, so I’m glad I had time to do so.

Page 62 (bis) grammar, vocabulary, kanji, and ぶるぶる

Finishing up page 61, 常勤パンダさん says, 「だってボクらが真っ黒だったら」

~ら is listed by Bunpro as N4. It’s used as a suffix on a pronoun to make it plural. For example, 君 (you) becomes 君ら (you all). Or, here, ボク (I) becomes ボクら (we). It’s basically a more casual たち.

You’ll find 真っ黒 in WaniKani at level 16. I almost want to take all the vocabulary with kanji from the book and include the WaniKani levels, just to see which percent of the kanji in each chapter can be recognized at each WaniKani level.

After a brief point about how pandas would be less popular if they were all black (because they’d be ただのクマ, common bears, and those are そんなに人気ない, not so popular), バイトパンダさん gets nervous (キンチョー) knowing 90% of his popularity is based on his looks.

常勤パンダさん knows some exercises to help バイトパンダさん relax.

知ってる conveys his knowing. 知る conjugates to 知って, allowing it to attach with いる. This changes the meaning from “to know” to “knowing”. As before, the い in いる is dropped in speech. By the way, this vocabulary is level 6.

The exercises, or 体操, comes from a combination of 体 (body, level 5) and 操 (manipulate, level 33). Can you believe it takes until level 33 in WaniKani to follow the conversation of two pandas in a children’s comic book? Granted, kids in Japan will likely already know the word たいそう (are ラジオ体操 still a thing outside of 「のんのんびより」?), and the furigana over the kanji ensures they can read it.

Finally, できる is the potential form of する. (There’s a reason する is known as an irregular verb.) リラックスする means “to relax”, so リラックスできる means “to be able to relax”.

“I know some exercises to be able to relax.”

「えっ 教えて」

The て form as a casual request should be familiar by now. Here, 教える (WaniKani level 7) is conjugated into its て form. A more polite request would be 教えてください, but the ください can be dropped off in casual conversation.

The instructions begin with the word あおむけ. There’s a kanji version of this, involving 仰 (look up to; level 50) and 向 (facing; level 6), meaning “face up”. I think I’m going to avoid trying to learn this word until I see it used again, as it doesn’t sound like something I’d encounter often.

Most specifically, the instruction is to 寝転がる and face up. 寝 (lie down) is level 22, and 転 (revolve) is level 10. I’m not certain what revolving has to do with it, but 寝転がる means “to lie down” or “to throw oneself down”.

Once on the ground, it’s time to put one’s 手足 into action. Considering 手 is a level 2 kanji, and 足 is level 4, it doesn’t take too long with WaniKani to figure out what pair of pairs this word refers to.

Sometimes, when you see a Japanese word you don’t know, you can figure it out by dropping it into a Google image search. And onomatopoeia is no exception. Search for ぶるぶる to see images of characters trembling, not entirely unlike the elderly principal in 「ひだまりスケッチ」. When I first read through this chapter, I thought maybe our パンダら were flailing their arms and legs, but now I see it’s more like a shivering tremble.

Attached to ぶるぶる is する, although it’s conjugated as させる. This is the same conjugation as when one of the girls wanted to take a picture of her friends with バイトパンダさん. It means to “let” or “make” someone or something do an action. Before, it was letting the girl take a photo. This time, it’s making one’s 手足 tremble.

I won’t spoil the dialogue of the concerned woman in the last panel on page 62 (unless someone is having difficulty understanding part of it), but I will say this scene is the one I’ve found the most hilarious in the comic thus far.

08_782823_782823_1_062_001_bottom

5 Likes

Hi guys, you are making quite an effort to translate and explain. I feel a little sorry because i am lost in all the material you post (may be because of my too basic knowledge of grammar). Having full kanji and translation provided is too much help in my opinion. I suggest we revert back to question/answers - marking page, line, box. In fact it is my first post. I will try to participate more actively.

1 Like

I started filling out the vocabulary spreadsheet for chapter 13, but ran out of time for the night. Can anyone figure out the kanji after 今 in the top-left panel of page 64 (bis)? I buy manga digitally, so I can’t see it clearly.

08_782823_782823_1_064_001%20kanji

Could be 癒す ?

1 Like

I don’t think i got the joke. My guess does not sound right:
Panda is having a fit. Quickly falling?

Does it make more sense if you use an alternate definition for けいれん (痙攣 - convulsion) and 急に (suddenly).

I’m not sure I understand why she didn’t use the past tense of 倒れる. Is is because they’re still in the state of having fallen down?

It’s hard to tell, but I think you’re right. I rotated it and put it through KanjiTomo just now and it came up with the same. I also tried a multi-radical lookup after, and came up with the same. Looks like that must be it. (Level 55 on WaniKani. I have a looong way to go.)

今 癒しに行きます

本年度アカデミー賞

最有力候補

For the last panel on bis page 62 (and to expand on Saruko’s response):

When analyzing a sentence, I like to drop it into ichi.moe to ensure I can learn anything I don’t already know about the words, such as an expression or odd conjugation.

Once I know the words, I look up any grammar I don’t know, and see if that helps me piece together the meaning.

「パンダが…」

が is marking パンダ (in this case, referring to both pandas) as the subject. They are the ones performing the action of the verb. Since the verb if the action of the sentence, I’m going to check that next. For a sentence with only one action/verb, you’ll expect to find it at the end of the sentence in Japanese, as is the case here:

「…起こしてます」

The verb 起こす comes up in WaniKani at level 14, with its kanji 起 at level 10. However, the primary meaning (to wake someone) doesn’t fit in this context. ichi.moe lists a few meanings, and this one stands out for me:

1. [vt,v5s] to fall ill with

Because 起こす is in its connective て form, and is followed by います (polite form of いる), it means the verb is a continuing action:

“The pandas have come down with spasms!” (The pandas are having spasms!)

The second line begins with 急に, which comes up in WaniKani at level 16 (same as the kanji alone), and means “suddenly”. Since this is an adverb (a word that modifies the verb), it means the verb happened suddenly.

The verb is 倒れる (WaniKani level 22, with the kanji at level 20), and it means “to fall over”.

I can’t find a source for this, and it’s not easy to search for on Google, but I’m certain I’ve read that ending a sentence with a verb in its て form can be used as an explanation. Here, I would translate the sentence as, “(They) suddenly fell over!” as explaining what happened before the spasm attack.

“The pandas are having spasms! They just suddenly fell over!”

If anyone has better translations or explanations, fell free to let me know. I have a lot of room for learning.

1 Like

Regarding what I wrote about て being an explanation, here’s a couple of examples from a manga I painstakingly worked my way through last year, which show sentences ending with a verb in て form:

Example 1

Rabbit%20Page%2012%201-1

This character, Cocoa, has stopped at a cafe, and is talking to the girl working there. Cocoa says she’ll attend high school in this town starting in spring, but she got lost looking for the residency where she’ll be staying. The sentence ends in ちゃって, and stands as explanation for why she’s at the cafe; “the reason I’m here is because I got lost.”

Example 2

Rabbit%20Page%2013%201-2

In a later scene, Cocoa asks the girl running a cafe where the owner is. The cafe girl starts by saying, “Last year, my grandfather…” Cocoa considers, in the text on the right ending with 亡くなって, “Ah, perhaps her grandfather passed away.” This comes across as explanatory; “this is the reason why the owner isn’t here”.

In the scene in しろくまカフェ, I take the last line to hold such an explanatory meaning.

What does ッ at the end referring to? Is it part of the formal でした?

Not sure what sentence exactly this is referring to, but usually if you ever see something ending with a small っ or ッ it means the vowel in front of it ends more abruptly. Like あっ would be more like “ah” instead of “aa” or “a” if that makes sense?

1 Like

For context, it’s this sentence: 「急に倒れてッ」

I’ve seen っ (or in this case, ッ) explained as both “an abrupt stop”, and “acting like an exclamation point”. I’ve also seen it translated into an em dash in English, suggesting the person’s dialogue cuts off there:

“They suddenly fell over—”

(But that would only apply in some situations and not others, I feel.)

1 Like

The new thread is here /o/ Chapter 14 Feel free to continue using this one though too, it seems like the translations are not done yet /o/

2 Likes

The vocabulary spreadsheet is now updated through the end of chapter 13. If anyone looked earlier and found it incomplete, be sure to check again!

1 Like

I loved page 62 and her concerned reaction haha