しろくまカフェ: Week 6 Discussion (Chapters 11-13)

For anyone still working through chapter 13, if you’re debating on whether to finish up 13 first, or just skip ahead to 14, here’s what you’ll want to know:

• Chapters 11 through 13 total seventeen pages long.
  • Chapter 14 is ten pages long.
    • We’re going into a much shorter chapter.
  • Chapter 13 is dialogue-heavy on upwards of six pages.
  • Chapter 14 is slightly dialogue-heavy on about four to five pages.
    • Expect fewer dialogue balloons and shorter sentences.
  • Chapter 13 has about fifteen to twenty complex kanji without furigana.
  • Chapter 14 has about six complex kanji without furigana.
    • No more sleepness nights spending hours on end trying to assemble radicals into the right kanji to match what’s on the page.

If you feel chapter 13 has been too difficult to get through, and you’re ready give up (lest you fall behind), please consider skipping right to chapter 14. The main plot point you’ll miss (bis page 68) is when パンダさん suggests シロクマさん and ペンギンさん visit the zoo which is where chapter 14 picks up from.

2 Likes

On bis page 66(68 in my ebook):
決まってから考えたら?
Is 常勤パンダ saying something like “when did you think like that usually?”

As far as I know, てから means “after XY”, so here it is 決まってから “after being decided.”

Now I’m confused about the 考えたら since たら could mean either “when/if” or “after”, but I’m not sure what it’s doing at the end of the sentence or why it’s followed by a question mark.

I’m assuming 常勤パンダ wants to say something along the lines of “Think about it after you won (the Nobel prize) ?” but feel free to correct me because I don’t know lol.

It’s usually an implied たら(どうですか), meaning “why don’t you”, so in the sentence → “why don’t you think about it after it’s been decided?”

4 Likes

Thanks! I forgot 〜てから was a thing.

1 Like

Hey folks (sorry I’m way behind! :sweat_smile:), I’m on page 63, panel 2, and wondering if きちゃう = 来てしまう. Can anyone confirm, or set me on the right track if it’s something else?

Also, to spare anyone else's eyes, I'd recommend using SafeSearch if you decide to do an image search to find out what kind of fashion 艶女 wear.

Wikipedia definition:

艶女 (アデージョ[1])は、女性誌『NIKITA』による造語で、モテる中年女性を意味する。高収入のキャリアウーマンや比較的裕福な主婦で、ファッションに気を遣い色気を有する大人の女性を想定している。

My attempt at translation:
The word “adeijo”, meaning ‘middle-aged woman who’s popular with men’, was coined by the women’s magazine NIKITA. Usually assumed to be wealthy careerwomen or housewives who have

Nevermind about the translation - I can’t figure out what ファッションに気を遣い色気 means… (dress to please men?)

Trying to push through, even though I find this section where they’re going on about becoming superstars to be really tiresome…

1 Like

I think so. The way I break down the sentence is like this:
そのうちCMの仕事とかきちゃうかも

• そのうち - before very long, someday, one of these days, etc.
  • CM - commercial (i.e., a TV commercial)
  • の - (possessive/modifying particle)
  • 仕事 - work, job, etc.
  • とか - or something like that
  • きちゃう - come (short form of the てしまう form of くる)
  • かも - might, possibly, etc.

However, now that I’m looking back at that, I’m not sure I’m correct. I’m not sure how くる fits in that sentence. I read it as something like “Maybe someday we’ll be doing commercials,” but I’m second guessing myself now. Though my interpretation does seem to line up with the next panel.

I can’t figure out how else to break down the sentence, though. The verb couldn’t be かきちゃう or とかきちゃう, since there’s no such verb as かきる or とかきる. The only other possibility, I think, would be 着る, which makes less sense that くる.

So I’m clearly not understanding something, either how くる fits the sentence or something else.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge can confirm or correct.

The way you break it down is how I was understanding it. It seems awkward in English to say, “Maybe a commercial job will come”, but maybe it’s not that weird in Japanese? It makes it sound like they wouldn’t have to work to get the job, but that someone would just come along and offer it.

I just wasn’t very sure about it, that’s why I asked.

1 Like

しまう/ちゃう is one of those areas I still struggle with. Every example sentence I find in pages explaining it use past-tense, which makes it hard for me to grasp when it’s not past tense! I did try a Google search, just to see what kind of uses of “仕事とかきちゃう” there are (as well as using 来), and here are some examples:

• えちょっと、カフェオーレのポスターの仕事とかきちゃうんじゃない
  • なんかもう声の仕事とかきちゃうんじゃないの、ゲーム系とか。
  • そのうちTV仕事とかきちゃうのかなー。
  • これでドラゴンボールの仕事とかきちゃうからなあ
  • そうすればモデルの仕事とかきちゃうかもよ!
  • やってると、仕事とかきちゃうわけでね。
  • 演技のお仕事とかきちゃうかもですね
  • モデルの仕事とか来ちゃうくらいまでいきます。
  • これから人気が急上昇して、CMの仕事とか来ちゃうかもよ〜っ!! (This one is so close to パンダ’s line!)
  • 急に中学生の仕事とか来ちゃうから、心の歳がとれないんです。
  • もしかしたらCMの仕事とか来ちゃうかもしれないですよ!
  • じゃあナマちゃんとのコラボの仕事とか来ちゃうかなー
  • コメントもどんどん上手くなってるし、グルメレポーターのお仕事とか来ちゃうかもね!
  • これモデルの仕事とか来ちゃうんじゃない?
  • これで書き物の仕事とか来ちゃうんだろうな。
  • みくにもいつか吹き替えのお仕事とか来ちゃうかも?

Keep in mind, I didn’t include “かも” on my search, yet more than a few results had this or “かな”.

I get the sense of, “Perhaps I’ll get work like commercials before long.”

5 Likes

Not looking at this in too much detail for now, but I think non-past しまう would just mean that you expect to be doing something completely, or non-intentionally, in the future or habitually rather than in the past. It’s a bit unintuitive to think about anticipating doing something by accident, I guess, but we do it in English too. “Oh, I’ll probably drop the coffee on the way” or some such.

I’d probably render the sentence you’re looking at as “Maybe I’ll end up in commercial work or something soon?” or some such.

I catch up again here…

3 Likes

I loved chapter 13, especially when Panda took off his glasses:

The anti-climax really tickled my funny bone :laughing:

Page 62
Screenshot 2020-09-23 at 19.11.58

I figured と is the conditional particle here, いわれる is passive, so something like “If I’m told that looks are 90% it makes me nervous”. But I am missing a quotation particle. I figured なんて could be なん plus って, but then what the heck is なん doing here…?

Page 68

What is he saying here exactly? “Really, I wanted to be born to much more good-looking animals”…?

1 Like

Loosely, I might translate this as “When such a thing as outward appearance is 90% is said, it gets me nervous.”

Here, the “when” is the conditional と. I don’t think there’s a quotation particle here.

なて here has the meaning of “things like (the word[s] preceding なんて)”, which I wrote as “such a thing as” in my loose translation.

I read it as Panda saying he wishes he was born (生まれたかった) with a body shape (スタイル) more suitable (いい) for being at the zoo.

1 Like

I am still a bit confused where 動物に comes in though? Do you mean it’s an abbreviation for 動物園に?

He wishes he was born as an animal with a body shape more suited for being at the zoo.

The zoo is implied from the context.

1 Like

Sorry about the confusion! Between the time that I read the text in the panel, and when I actually replied (several hours later), I mistook that he said 動物園に rather than 動物に.

I should have written:

“I read it as Panda saying he wishes he was born (生まれたかった) as an animal (動物) with a more (もっと) suitable body shape (スタイルのいい).”

2 Likes

:exploding_head: Wow, that’s like a whole new use of に for me. Cheers!