あの馬に、ニンジンやリンゴをあげてもいいですか?— Can you read this sentence and understand what it means?

WaniKani Quiz Time :carrot::apple:

あの馬に、ニンジンやリンゴをあげてもいいですか?— Can you read this sentence and understand what it means?

I’ll give you some hints first, then the answer at the end.

Vocab

あの: That.

馬 LV. 8 : Horse. The kanji 馬 juuust looks like :racehorse:, right?

ニンジン: Carrot. The kanji for carrot is 人参, but it’s commonly written in hiragana / katakana.

リンゴ: Apple. The kanji for apple is 林檎. Don’t worry, this is also commonly written in hiragana / katakana. To be honest, I don’t think I can write 檎 either (not many Japanese people can).

あげる: To give carrots and apples

いい: Good.

Let’s break it down!

あの馬に

To that horse

ニンジンやリンゴをあげる

Give carrots and apples

______してもいいですか?

Is it okay to ______?

The answer:
あの馬に、ニンジンやリンゴをあげてもいいですか?

あのうまに、にんじんりんごをあげてもいいですか?

Is it okay to give that horse carrots and apples?

…Wait. Are you really sure it’s a horse, though? (Looks like it has extra eyes…?)

36 Likes

はい、馬はりんごや人参を食べられます。

2 Likes

馬に人参やリンゴをあげすぎないほうがいいですよ。

2 Likes

何かおかしいんです。。。あれ 馬じゃないよ!

馬のコスプレをしているCrabigator様に、ニンジンやリンゴをあげてもいいですか?

6 Likes

でも、あの馬に、りんごや人参をあげても本当に大丈夫??

1 Like

Oh! Would that make them fart or something?

OH SH&$*&%(T :astonished::astonished::astonished:

1 Like

Not fart, but fat! (I think.)

1 Like

いいんじゃないなあ?

What a fantastic post! Thank you! Such fun! And just my level!

(I’ve just learnt horse, being level 8 at the moment, but learnt the reading as ば, so I suppose the は reading will come later! Thank you!)

Yay, you’re level 8! :tada:
馬 here is actually read as うま (kun’yomi reading):ok_hand:

3 Likes

Thank you so much! And oh yes, うま, thank you! Got it!
(You really are the Happiness Officer!)

I have a feeling most people who can’t read this will avoid responding, so I’d like to just say that I recognized あの as “that” referring to something that isn’t close to either the speaker or listener and リンゴ as “apple”, but I saw あげて and thought that was another form of “to raise” that just wasn’t using kanji.

This comes with the disclaimer that I have a seriously long way to go. Call this a humility check.

6 Likes

I recognized the kanji for horse and knew that ninjin was carrot and ringo was apple, but that’s it.

I can read it. Only a vague idea of what it means though. Something about a horse, carrots (just learned 人参 today), and apples.

I should really get back to grammar studying at some point.

もちろん。ニンジンやりんごが大好き。

分かりました。うまは”わにうまですか。

1 Like

確かに面白い馬だなあ。日本の馬かもしれないね。誰が描いたかな…

it uses the particle ya, so am i right to understand there are other things aside from apple and carrot that this person wants to give to the horse?

Otherwise you use to, right?

1 Like

I take it to mean something like “is it okay to give that horse things like apples and carrots?”

2 Likes