【 Dormant 😴 】クレヨンしんちゃん (Crayon Shin Chan) Home Thread 💩

Let’s read Crayon Shin Chan together!

When there is enough interest to read volume 2, this book club will be re-activated. Feel free to reply to this thread if you’re keen to read volume 2 :slight_smile:

For those who are unfamiliar with Shin Chan, he is a mischievous and rambunctious 5 year old boy that drives the adults around him crazy. The comedy in this manga/anime centers round his inappropriate behaviour, such as using wrong words or phrases or flirting with hot babes. There is also a lot of physical comedy. If you want to get better acquainted, you could have a look at the anime.

Where to get

Physical: Amazon JP (¥586)
eBook: Kobo JP (¥660)Amazon JP (¥557)Bookwalker (¥660)

Discussion

Volume 1 discussion thread

Vocab list

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

8 Likes

@cehrlich, @Oshin, @Papayaya, @Sulax, @curiousjp, @Arukuma, @maggiekarp

I’d be interested to know what timeframe would work best for you.

I downloaded the books and I started reading the first one…

I picked that option because my schedule is so messed up lately that I’m not sure when I’ll have time. I’ll certainly join if/when I do have time though! Looking forward to it ^^

Strange, when I viewed my volume 1, it did have furigana.

That’s probably クレヨンしんちゃん. I’ve got volume 1 and that’s got furigana. Volume 1 of the original series doesn’t. The other volumes of the original series do have furigana, but the scans make them a bit hard to read. I think that will be the biggest challenge in reading volume 2 :thinking:

Big image

Looks like the regular Crayon Shin Chan to me.

I’m with @Viridithon on this - my copy does seem to have furigana, although they’re so small as to be impressionistic:

@nienque, could you show me the first strip in your copy of volume one? I’m curious as to what’s going on now.

As for schedule… I just want to be careful about biting too much off as I’m also supposed to be reading なぜ? at the moment. If we were limited to three pages a week or something I would think it would be fine.

No you’re right, I mislooked. I figured out how to zoom in and there they are! Not sure how I managed to notice them in volume 2 but miss them here :woman_facepalming:t3: In that case we might as well read volume 1.

Does anyone happen to have a physical copy? I wonder if the furigana are more legible in physical copies and this is not the best of scans :thinking:

I finished the first chapter and surprisingly I believe I understood most of it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the two editions?

Screenshot 2020-02-08 at 23.05.26

1 Like

Yes, 新クレヨンしんちゃん is a different series. It was started after the author of the original series died. I have volume 1 and the contents are entirely different from volume 1 of クレヨンしんちゃん.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! Might be worth pointing this out in the OP if you get the club going!

And I hope you do! Sadly, I can’t join as I’m so busy reading elsewhere, but it looks like it could be fun!

2 Likes

Basically means that I want to commit, but I’m living that student life so commitments are hard…

So far there are 15 people who are keen on the bookclub, but many of them have some concerns about timing. I think there are two ways to fit Shin Chan into our reading schedule:

• It’s a full-fledged book club: we read a fair number of pages a week (like 9 or 12?). We will wait for some of the other book clubs to be finished before we start.
  • It’s supplementary reading: we can read one or two short stories a week (3 or 6 pages) while we also read our other books, and we can start pretty much straightaway.

Or maybe there’s a middle way too… Here are some polls to figure this out :smiley:

What would be your ideal starting moment?

• As soon as possible
  • Early March
  • Early April (after 霧のむこうのふしぎな町 and ふらいんぐうぃっち)
  • Early May (after 氷菓)

0 voters

What would be your ideal tempo?

• 3 pages (1 story) a week → 38 weeks
  • 6 pages (2 stories) a week → 19 weeks
  • 9 pages (3 stories) a week → 13 weeks
  • 12 pages (4 stories) a week → 10 weeks

0 voters

Based on the votes in the poll, it looks like we’ll be trying to read 6 pages a week. I suggest we start next Monday. For those who would like to join us later (e.g. in March or May), that’ll be perfectly fine because there is no overarching plot in between the stories. Whoever wants to join us later can dive right in!

3 Likes

I wonder if I can figure out all the furigana XD they are so damn small and blurry

1 Like

I’m using a dictionary app on my phone to search for the kanji by drawing them. I’ve tried it out on a few and it works quite well. I am more concerned about the puns I won’t be getting. But I just really want to read Shin Chan (not gonna lie, 50% of my motivation to learn Japanese is wanting to read Shin Chan) so I will plough through!

2 Likes

Here’s the discussion thread, let’s get this party started :partying_face:.

2 Likes

Hii, what’s the app you use? I tried drawing on jisho web (on mobile) but it doesn’t work too well… (or I may just suck at writing kanji :sweat_smile:)