「好き」と「好く」と「好む」はどう違いますか?

My bf was doing Japanese 1 homework and used 好く for “like” because that’s what he found in his dictionary. I told him he was supposed to use 好き for the assignment, but I also hadn’t ever seen 好く before. What is this 好く nonsense? It really had a (outdated?) verb form this whole time?? :unamused:

2 Likes

Yeah, 好き is just the noun form of 好く. I don’t know why the verb went out of favor. 好み and 好む are more common than 好く, but they’re not usually used in casual conversations.

3 Likes

お好む is more like “to favour” something rather than to “like” something.

2 Likes

It’s true that it has that nuance, though you can’t add お to the front of a verb in its plain form like that.

1 Like

I was saying 好む but thinking お好み. :sob:

Trying to do 6 things at once.

1 Like

Strangely enough, I recently saw 好く in a piece of fiction I was reading and had the same reaction. So I guess it does get used in literature still some times.

1 Like

Wait… is okonomiyaki お好み焼き?

Favored fried food?

:exploding_head:

2 Likes

Basically yes.
The idea is that you can just put whatever you like in batter and fry it on a griddle.
Obviously it mostly comes in menu form these days, but you still generally fry it yourself too.

I think its most often translated as “as you like it” though.

EDIT
I’m just going to add, from a grammar perspective, noun form verbs are basically the same as て form verbs in that they are connective and indicate concurrence or simultaneity.

So from a grammar perspective, its literally “fried as you like (prefer) it”

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.