“Taking into consideration”

Hi,
the title of this post is WaniKani vocabulary from level 49, with the same in Japanese being 勘案 or かんあん.

My wild guess is that quite a lot of people on WaniKani use English as their native language, or that they are relatively fluent in it. Taking this into consideration, all of these people myself included still use 50 percent of their studying time on WaniKani for writing “taking into consideration” instead of 勘案 or かんあん.

This is because of the current review system, which gives equal weight to English and Japanese versions of a word. As noted, most of the people here are supposedly more or less fluent in English. So why repeat writing long English phrases like “taking into consideration” time and again?

In my case this approach has only lead to countless wrong answers in the English language section caused by sheer frustration of the process and therefore typos. I know a fair bit of English already so why do I have to keep proving it?

Here is my solution: change the English language versions of reviews to multi choice ones. For example, when 勘案 appears, there would be four pre-written choices in English with one being the correct answer, and a mere ticking of the right box would suffice instead writing the actual phrase time and again.

This would allow people on WaniKani to better concentrate on the content they really are here for i.e. Japanese language.

best,
Jari

who has so far written “edge of a sumo wrestling ring” six times in reviews

2 Likes

To my understanding, this was basically one of the iterations of Duolingo in the past.

I’m not convinced it’s really the same. If you’re able to pick the right phrase from 4 that have been presented to you, are you able to recall the same kanji without overt hints? I’m not so sure.

8 Likes

Multiple choice would be too easy, and you already have a solution for this problem – you can create a synonym, in your own language even.

7 Likes

Sometimes, for words that have awkward English translations, I’ve even added the word’s reading in romaji as a synonym.

However, I make sure to only do this with words that I truly grok; where translating into English feels unnecessary because I can understand the Japanese word on its own.

Unfortunately, after a long downtime, I no longer remember which words I’ve done this with :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I’m pretty strongly against multiple choice for any part of WK (except maybe radicals?).
What part of this problem cannot be solved by user-added synonyms?

2 Likes

Well, I’m only on level 7 (although I have once reached level 20 heheh) so you’re on this far longer than me, but I’ll still risk giving my opinion. I agree with the folks above who said multiple choice is too easy. As I see, there would be two solutions for this type of situation (which also happens to me, as my native language is Portuguese): 1) using the double-check script and just overriding the “wrong” answer when you actually know the meaning and just doesn’t know the wording/pharsing of it in English 2) adding the meaning on your native language as a synonym to the item.

3 Likes

Add something short as a synonym, like “TiC” or just “A” as a synonym. Make sure you say the correct answer in your head as you type the placeholder so you confirm you remember it and you’re not just going through the motions.

This is just one of those instances where the Japanese word is far more concise than the English equivalent.

3 Likes

I do the same, especially for words and phrases like “お疲れ様”, “よろしくお願いします”, “貴様”, etc. where the English translation doesn’t properly convey the nuance. After all, you really don’t want to be getting into the habit of thinking “貴様” = “you”…

For phrases like the ones OP mentioned, giving yourself a shorter user synonym will make your life easier. They could just add “considering” and “sumo ring edge” or even “ring edge” as synonyms for the two in question.

3 Likes