Zahi's Study Log

Study Log #1: Week of 7/26/20

I’ve been struggling physically quite a bit this week so have been doing the bare minimum studying. I’m proud of myself for at least keeping up with my WK reviews, though I’ll admit it was pretty hard. I figured out what has been causing the brain fog and fatigue this week though and am feeling a lot better today!

The structure of my studying still feels a bit all over the place, so that’s something I need to figure out. There are some days where I can only study for an hour and WK takes up a lot of that time. Other days I have more time available so I need to find some kind of pattern.

WK

Leveled up to 6 at the beginning of the week and have been reviewing some master items, some of which I’m remembering, and others forgetting. All in all I feel good about sticking to WK this week though, I’ve been on top of it.

Grammar
There are a few grammar points that I keep struggling with while doing reviews in Bunpro so when that happens I’m going to take some time to do some research and take notes.

が、けど

but, however

• Used to express direct contradictions
  • Used as a general connector of two separate sentences (and) , especially with a new topic

Exists on a continuum of politeness, from more casual to more polite:

けど<けども<けれど<けれども<>が

*Politeness is typically indicated by the end of the sentence. You’ll usually see が used with 〜ます and 〜です, and けど used with the plain form.

**Politeness level w/in the sentence typically matches, but not always. Sometimes a speaker will use the more polite form when referring to someone else while using the short form referring to themselves in the same sentence.

Conjugation: けど
Verb けど
い-adjectives が、ですが けど
Noun だが、ですが だけど
な-adjectives だが、ですが だけど

The declarative だ is needed for Nouns and な-adjectives. It is not needed for Verbs and い-adjectives.

Still to research: ~てもいい, ~ている, ~て form conjugations

Reading

Finished わんわん探偵団 week 4. I discovered that putting the vocab for the week in an Anki deck and reviewing it prior to the week I read that section really helps me with understanding context, meaning, and knowing where one word ends and the next begins. I don’t retain all of the word meanings but it has a significant impact on the speed at which I complete a section and my ability to get the gist very quickly.

Listening

I really like Nihongo con Teppei for beginners. It’s short and sweet with still a ton of information to glean from it. I think from now on I’m going to write a summary for each one I listen to and also answer in Japanese any questions he poses, even if it’s just a sentence or two.

#255元気について

Q: 元気がない時は何をしますか?友達に会いますか?酒を飲みますか?ジムに行きますか?

A: 元気がない時はテレビを見ます。時々テレビゲームもします。シャワーを浴びるのが好きです。

Goals for the coming week of 8/2/20
Read わんわん探偵団 week 5
Maintain WK Review Pace
Research & take notes on a new grammar point I’m struggling with
Listen to an episode of Nihongo con Teppei, summarize, and answer ?s in Japanese.
Watch an Episode of Midnight Diner on Netflix w/out English subs

6 Likes