Your worst typos WaniKani has accepted

Seriously? I just learned that one but I had in mind that it had to do something with tamagotchis and ducks so I just typed duck and it really surprised me it accepted it :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

Yeah, that’s rather a weird mnemonic. The old one was along the lines of “it kinda looks like a duck”.

“Clan” is the actual meaning of the kanji, though.

7 Likes

Reminds me of a movie I saw years ago, wherein a Mexican actor wants to make it in LA, in order to be close to his daughter. But he has to learn English, so she tries to teach him with flashcards. When ‘naríz’ (not sure about thst accent there) comes up, he keeps saying ‘no sé’, until they both get too frustrated and the misunderstanding is resolved. (This response is superlate, sorry. I started writing it days ago, but never finished).

4 Likes

I actually prefer when they make mnemonics to remember the actual kanji but I guess here they also tried to keep the old mnemonic which ends up being a bit confusing trying to connect the two

5 Likes

21 Likes

wait, oops…

(the correct answer, which I failed to screenshot, is mother)

32 Likes

Ack! >:o

Well you can’t do this anymore.

23 Likes

Gender is a social construct!

18 Likes

Does that mean that there is a way to add words to a deny list? I know I’ve seen a couple where the spelling forgiveness catches words with opposite or distinctly different meanings.

4 Likes

Pssst it’s a secret whitelist.

4 Likes

Not to be racist, but it’s a black list

12 Likes

5 Likes

hehe, well, glad my mindless typing helped somehow :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Screenshot_2019-07-23-09-15-46~2

7 Likes

This one is from a while back but it’s too good. Had me confused there for a second:

18 Likes

Per aspera ad astra!

And some more:

17 Likes

This shouldn’t be legit @anon20839864 please fix this

4 Likes

I don’t think this is really a big issue? The user also knows it’s wrong, so no confusion occurs.

The algorithm behind this looks at the probability that something could have been written, while wanting to write the correct answer. If that probability is above a certain percentage, the answers is assumed correct.

For example, with Kykpshui, the user probably wanted to type kyuushuu (which means that he mistyped uu as kp, and u as I) or kyushu (which means that u wat mistyped as k, and p and i are accidentally typed additionally). This might be one of the edge cases, but in exchange a lot of typos are rightfully counted as correct here. If the Wanikani staff were to blacklist every single wild typo for every single item in Wanikani, their grandchildren might have grown beards by the time they’re done. Wanikani isn’t about how beautiful you type, just about if you wanted to write down the correct answer.

2 Likes

Well some posts ago, you could see that they had a similar issue with father and mother were they fixed it manually.

3 Likes

I agree, that one was an incorrect answer that was still counted as correct. The user meant father, while they should type mother.
In the other examples above however, the user means for example kyuushuu, but simply doesn’t type it well. So I’d say that that still counts as correct.
To be 100% sure you’re typing the right word, you can always install the script down below. When something is not precisely correct but Wanikani counts it as correct, the box simply shakes and asks you to try again. Very handy :slight_smile:
I agree with you that these results are pretty strange, but fixing it would be a Sisyphean task.

4 Likes