Yet another warning not to abuse the override script from someone who did

I use it for typos ofc but I don’t get that ppl would mark correct if they don’t know it

Nobody starts using it with the intent of self-sabotage. But it’s perilously easy to justify real mistakes as ‘typoes’. “Oh, I didn’t rendaku, but I knew I should have… No biggie. Override.” “Oh, I put in the long/short vowel when I should have put in the short/long… No problem. Override.” “Oh, I used the wrong reading, but I really knew it, I just typed too fast…” “Oh, that’s that other kanji I keep confusing… If I saw it was X instead of Y, I would have got it right…” It’s frighteningly easy in the moment to justify almost any mistake as not a real error, just a lack of focus, or an external distraction, or swamp gas reflecting the light of Venus. And a moment of temptation and weakness can become a bad habit very quickly.

14 Likes

I see. I guess I’m not that kind of person thus

1 Like

I’m like the extreme opposite of that, not a single usercricpt, no error recovery, all vanilla.

Sometimes I rage when i fail 作文 by putting “an essay” instead of “essay”, but c’est la vie.

If i make a “typo”, most of the time it’s something I could have avoided by just focusing more, and the strictness of my way force me to be extra careful and extra serious in my learning.

I know I would cheat if I had the script, because nobody likes to lose a guru item or worse, and not having the choice if a relief for me. Most people I’ve heard to be using have cheated, one way or the other,so be careful not to hinder your learning of japanese to get a better percentage.

3 Likes

that’s the mistake right there. you don’t lose it by failing, you prevent loss. if you override, then yes, you will lose it, but not if you’ll see it again sooner, that’d accomplish the opposite.

6 Likes

That’s my point? I mean I don’t like “loosing” kanji level, but by doing so, I get to see this item again sooner, and more often, and in the end, that’ll help my retention to actually help me learn japanese.

1 Like

Yeah, abusing it defeats the purpose. If I can’t guess it right in 20 tries, I accept my defeat.

2 Likes

You know, I’m wondering if it wouldn’t work to implement a built-in feature where you’re allowed to override the wrongness of 3% of your available review queue, and to always be able override the correctness of your items. So if your review queue is 100 items long, you’ll be allowed to “correct” 3 of your answers (either meaning or reading). Maybe that would lead to hoarding the overriding better :thinking:

1 Like

I’m curious though if anyone does override on really bad leeches in order to burn them so they stop being a thorn in one’s side.
I’ve got a few words that I’ve failed 20-30 times, they don’t feel super important to me, and I feel like I am bashing my head against a wall every time I see them. For example, I keep mixing up 警視庁 and 警察庁…even the example sentence asks what the difference is between these two words!
Anki will automatically suspect cards that keep getting failed, and I was thinking of doing something similar by just overriding and burning these trouble words, and throwing them into an Excel sheet or their own SRS deck as a project to work on later.
Has anyone else done something similar? (I have a feeling the answer is ‘no’…)

1 Like

No, but I could imagine it cleaning up the mess SRS causes by default. Even an automatic leech suspender would make sense, that asks for confirmation before suspending, and has an option to reintroduce leeches again after (x amount of time).

1 Like

I mean, I’d probably be careful about being this strict. Not trying to advocate the usage of scripts or anything (and I’m also not trying to imply that this is you), but you want to know the concept behind words/characters, not the specific wording WK wants for you to get it right.

I’d probably throw a synonym in there if it’s something you get wrong a decent amount for having the correct meaning but not quite the right wording.

5 Likes

What I tend to do is just write down any old mnemonic that helps me to pinpoint the meaning of an item (or distinguish it from a similar one) in the Meaning Notes or Reading Notes. I also do this on BunPro a lot.

Sometimes, I have to re-write new mnemonics, usually after spending several minutes researching things on various resource sites like Jisho.org, multiple multiple multiple times before it finally sinks in. But it does tend to work eventually. Just keep brainstorming mnemonics until something clicks, then try to hone that until it sticks good. Then pretty soon your brain’ll take over and solidify the connection automatically for ya.

Duh, just failed to burn 私 as I was doing something else and WK on the side screen. I confused it to 仏.

After some thinking, I know both of them very well so I shouldn’t confuse them.

So technically I could have marked it correct and let it burn as I’m very confident I know it, but such common kanji I should be able to read correct even if I’m concentrating on something else. So I let it drop to Guru. Burn can wait.

2 Likes

Pretty much in agreement. I’m going at a pretty fast pace, but I’m not trying to set a world record to get to level 60. So, ultimately, I don’t mind if there are slight delays here and there. Eventually, I’ll burn everything, so there’s really nothing to worry too much about. I understand it can be very frustrating in the immediate moment, though. But for me, it’s the process that’s more important than absolute progress. So, I just ‘let it go’ and chalk it up to another ‘lesson learned, maybe time to slow down a bit and focus more’.

1 Like

Really not much of a difference between, “Essay” and “An essay”. Put “An essay” in your synonyms list.

2 Likes

You can address this without overrides by adding a synonym after you’ve answered with the correct meaning, before moving onto the next item. It will bring it up again in the same review session, allowing you to undo the first missed answer.

I just did this with a level-50-something kanji that wanted “enlighten,” but for which I typed “enlightenment.” Just added the latter as a synonym before moving on, and was given a chance to correct it in the same session.

2 Likes

Doesn’t that still bump your item down?

2 Likes

Was that part a built-in feature of WaniKani user synonyms, or was that from one of the override-type scripts?
Edit: My question is better-worded by @rfindley’s question one up from mine. :arrow_up:

It does not. I don’t think? Ex., just now the first failure showed a red “Apprentice” tag. On the second pass in the session, I got a green “Guru.” (I don’t think it was scheduled to move up from “Guru” yet even if I’d answered correctly on first pass.) I am fairly certain I’ve also saved items higher than Guru this way.

It’s built-in. I don’t use any override scripts.

You have to do it after entering the expected answer and before moving to the next item, though. So if you want to add a reasonable synonym, make sure you wait until it comes back around for you to enter the expected answer first.

1 Like

Huh! Cool.

Ah, so that’s the trick. I just adore tricky/finicky user interface quirks like that. <🙄 />

[Wouldn’t it be cool if some markup languages used emojis and other obscure unicode for tag names and attributes?!]