Yes i need help :) ;P

It was a delightful conversation so lots of great ideas and perspectives came about from it. I think we can just leave it at that and let the readers of the thread to make up their own minds! ^^

8 Likes

I know we don’t talk like that but I was just illustrating that it also conveys the fact that you are doing “that” something everyday.

If you say “I go for a run each morning” it is understood that you do it every morning. We can talk about technicalities but the fact remains: you are doing that action each morning. Again, I know it is not natural. If someone says that to me I know they don’t have a good grasp of the English language.

My point was simply that it is understood that it is an activity you do every single morning :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And this is definitely true. I agree that the understanding would be there.

My point is that there is a distinct difference, and while the message may get across, it is incorrect usage, and WaniKani should not add official synonyms that are incorrect usage (as Japanese also draws the distinction with æŻŽ vs 搄).

3 Likes

I disagree with people saying there’s a distinct difference. You could argue “every” is the stronger word, but they are both ambiguous without further context.

Yes “I take a shower each morning” could mean a specific set of mornings, but “every” could as well

“I take a shower every morning” Every morning this week? Every morning in January?

Without context the meaning is identical.

1 Like

I noticed in the new update thread - January 21 2022 Content Updates - that æŻŽæœˆ has had “each month” added to the allowed list, surely this would be an identical situation?

1 Like

“Every” can refer to a specific set of mornings, but it doesn’t have to because it’s a more general word that refers to groups as one item.

“Each” must refer to a specific set of mornings to be used correctly, because it is a word that focuses on individual items.

Because of this difference in focus, which exists in Japanese as well (æŻŽ is different than 搄), I think it’s a bad idea to introduce unnecessary ambiguity and risk mixing those two concepts up because you are (incorrectly) mixing the concepts up in English.

I don’t deny that the meanings are similar, but I definitely protest describing them as the same.

I also don’t deny that if somebody used “each morning” in that way, I would probably understand that they likely mean “every morning.” I’m not such a pedant that I don’t understand mixing the terms up; I’m simply giving an example of why each morning sounds odd. It sounds odd because it is incorrect.

Saying “every morning” doesn’t ask for more context because it stresses the totality.

Saying “each morning” without providing more context, makes the brain start asking for context, because it stresses the mornings as individuals. I need to know what is individual or special about them. Either the act needs to not be a habitual/recurring act:

I.e.,

“I use a different soap each morning when I take a shower.”

“I have plans each morning next week.” (implies different plans on the individual mornings)

Or you need to tell me what’s special about the individual days, like a specific set of time.

I.e.,

“I shower each morning in January.” (which might carry the implication that in other months, you don’t shower on all mornings, only in January do you shower every morning. That isn’t to say you don’t shower during the other months, just that you don’t shower every morning during the other months. Either way, it’s different than “every morning” because if you showered every morning, you wouldn’t have to specify a time).

Since a distinction exists, I think adding an official synonym that incorrectly conflates the two would be a mistake. Ultimately, as I said above, it’s no skin off my teeth, I have burned the item. It doesn’t affect me, and I’ll go on knowing that there is a difference happily. However, it would be a disservice to add a synonym that adds ambiguity to a term, imo.

@RembrandtQZulu, where I would see the difference is that months are firmly within a year. There isn’t a question when “each month” comes up, because it only has one possible context.

Mornings don’t have that same concrete context. They can be mornings of a week, mornings of a month, or mornings of a year, for example.

Edit: Fixed inconsistency and brought everything to “morning” instead of “day.” Not sure why I switched the two for a moment there. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

All that is written above this post.

Or
 just add it to synonyms and move on. I don’t see the problem.

2 Likes

I use a different soap each and every morning when I take a shower

Lolol : D

3 Likes

That works for me as a reasonable compromise. :laughing:

I think I’d reorder the clause to make it sound a bit more natural.

Each and every morning I use a different bar of soap when I take a shower.

I think this implies some exasperation as if it were a hassle to do so “each and every” morning.

Wow I couldn’t disagree more. Japanese is not English. The sooner you dissuade yourself of the idea that Japanese vocabulary items, or worse, Kanji have some sort of 1:1 relationship with English words, the better.

Don’t make strawman arguments. I never claimed any of that.

6 Likes

I came to WaniKani to learn Japanese, but I learned English instead. Thank you!

2 Likes

If you had read @ekg other posts a bit below you’d probably not have made this comment.

2 Likes

I read them and I still disagree. Spending time memorising exact wordings used by WK is not time well spent, IMHO, and I especially disagree that user synonyms are bad. But thank you for telling me what I would or would not have done had I read stuff that I actually did read.

I didn’t want to imply that @ekg claimed that Japanese and English have some sort of 1:1 mapping, but the effect of memorising exact formulations instead of meanings is IMHO exactly that you’ll fall into the trap of thinking that.

I also don’t understand why it would take you less time to memorise exact definitions, as claimed. My brain doesn’t work like that.

Furthermore, this is the first time, I (as a non-native English speaker) hear that there is a supposed difference between “each morning” and “every morning”, so even if there is one, it has never prevented me from communicating in English, so obsessing over something so minor, instead of just adding a synonym, makes no sense to me.

2 Likes

Still, that is exactly what you posted. Maybe be clearer from the beginning next time? ^^;

I was never talking about the language issues. That was not the point. I think you still don’t seem to get that. ^^;

1 Like

I should have made it clearer that the part with “Japanese is not English” is my reason for why I disagree and not part of your claim. What I disagree with is that it’s in any way useful to memorize exact WK definitions.

I don’t think I misunderstood your position. I know you’re not talking about Japanese itself, but about how to use WK. I just don’t think this is a good way to use WK. There are many synonyms missing, sometimes words are used that are quite rare in English (especially for non-native speakers), transitive and intransitive verbs are poorly handled (and inconsistently at that), I can never remember if I should use the noun or the verb of something for kanji meanings (is it “allure” or “alluring”? who knows, it’s the same meaning). And so on. I would waste a lot of time if I always failed items because of things like that.

1 Like

Then we just have to agree to disagree, since I only see WK as a tool for speedily and efficiently drilling kanji + some common meanings and readings into my brain.

It’s not a perfect tool, but doesn’t need to be.

As I said, the rest can come at a later stage, from immersion learning as you realize you need to further look into stuff like alternative, less common kanji readings, or other meanings because of the media you’re currently reading, or something similar to that.

Don’t make things harder than necessary for yourself when using WK. Make it fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like

But that’s what I mean. Obsessing over exact WK formulations makes WK harder and less fun for me. YMMV, of course.

Again, we just have to agree to disagree on this one.

1 Like