Oh, Come On! Closest Wrong Answers thread

Hi Everyone! We all had a laugh in that thread about horrible wrong answers that the Crabigator let slide, but I stumbled into this pothole and thought I share it with everyone and challenge the community to beat it.

The answer was not “LAW” but “LAWS

Please enjoy some LULZ

21 Likes

I don’t have any at the moment but wanted to let you know I just ran into this EXACT same issue recently, so. Timely thread is timely. I understand your pain :grimacing:

8 Likes

In a way that makes us 3. I’m also currently struggling with all these “laws” and “regulations”.

My latest was answering “up till now” to:

Jokes on me, because it means neither, but it’s difficult to translate in few words.

8 Likes

@mods   

2 Likes

I JUST mistyped “sog” instead of “song” :upside_down_face:
Curse the lack of an undo button (or any third-party apps) on this work computer!

Just going to leave these handy scripts you can use to avoid this very situation :wink:

You could also add synonyms for these weird situations, but it’s annoying to do so during lessons, after you’ve made the ‘mistake’. Generally, it’s best to check the actual definition of the word on a JP dictionary - https://www.weblio.jp/ You’d be surprised how lenient definitions vs translations are :slight_smile:

There’s also the Anki Script for WK - [Userscript] WK Anki Mode I think this makes sense for high levels in WK, once you start reading/listening, and you know a lot of the words, so there’s not a whole lot of point bothering with JP - EN as much. Haven’t tried it myself. Might do if fast levels are too fast :smiley:

3 Likes

I think what WK wants to tell here is that 法律 means specifically the laws themselves, and not “the law” as a whole. Which is an important distinction if you want to make it, although specific use will probably become clearer later outside of SRS.

4 Likes

For this specific set of five words (法則、法規、法律、規律、規則) there’s a cheat — due to the nature of the typo forgiveness algorithm wanikani uses, all of them except 規則 accept “laws” (the plural) as answers, even those whose correct answers are “law”.

Once you learn 規則正しい “a regular” you can just extrapolate from it and answer “regulation” (which has a different meaning but uses the same root in English), while answering “laws” for the other four.

Edit: dammit. Did they change it somehow? I remember reading on the forums of this exact trick, does it not work anymore? It doesn’t make sense either way…

2 Likes

for 提供(ていきょう) recently learned, I had to add synonym program sponsor, because the exact on wk is program sponsoring :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Honestly the ignore script has kept me from quitting WK in frustration since close but not accepted answers are so common. Plus, it’s nice to not have to worry about an item going from enlightened to guru just because of a fat finger typo.

2 Likes

Oh how I love these :joy::joy::joy:. Makes burning items so much more of a challenge.

1 Like

Added “laws” to allow list for this item :+1:

6 Likes

3 Likes

Wait wasn’t the issue that “law” was wrong? The WK definition is already “laws”

2 Likes

In a majority of cases Japanese doesn’t make a big distinction between singular and plural, so I think it should be marked correct if you use the singular version of a word that was expecting a plural answer.

7 Likes

Yeah I agree, I’ve had this exact error before too. I was just saying that the mod correction didn’t seem to actually fix the issue - they added Laws to the allow list but needed to add Law

In most cases the one letter difference is fine due to WK’s typo allowance system but with such a short word it needs a manual fix

1 Like

Oh hmm…on my end it shows that it’s “law.” When you all search for 法律 on WaniKani, does it show the primary word as “laws”?

3 Likes

Ah, I see where the confusion is coming from. I was looking at the wrong vocab. Sorry for the confusion :sweat_smile: I will add “law” as a meaning to this vocab word: 法規!

7 Likes

Ehh, I think WK is right on this one. “sponsor” and “sponsoring” is a whole different thing. The former being a person/company and the latter the concept itself. Sponsor would be 提供者.

I don’t think this has been done yet, has it? I just answered “law” and it was marked wrong again.

1 Like