Yeah, I don't think parallel kaniwani is viable anymore at lvl10

Up until now, I did kaniwani in parallel. I wasn’t too strict on it, my objective was mostly to learn to write the kanji that I saw on wanikani instead of perfectly recalling all the correct kanji for the words. The first 2-3 times I saw an unfamiliar kanji in a review that i couldn’t recall the stroke order or how to write it, i’d write it, then after that i would just type the answer.

But it still takes So. Much. Damn. Time. I feel like I would be better served doing more grammar instead.

10 Likes

I was using multiple SRS apps for a while and also came to the conclusion (after burning out) that my energy could be better spent in other ways, so I’m now only doing WK SRS, along with grammar books and a book club.

Well done you for figuring it out before needing to take a months-long break from it all!

10 Likes

Well, if your grammar level is still low, that would definitely be beneficial.

But if you’re anything like me, if you don’t do something like kaniwani or SRS, you’ll most likely forget half your vocabulary in a few months.

2 Likes

The problems you describe are highly personal. Different people will experience different things. Personally I have no problem doing kaniwani in parallel but this is me and you are you. Do whatever you find is best for you and don’t try to imitate others. Their circumstances are not yours.

9 Likes

You don’t have to be so defensive, I wouldn’t have taken offense if you just said “Personally I have no problem doing kaniwani in parallel but this is me and you are you” :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t perceive anything defensive in what prouleau has written; they are just better than most of us at incorporating the many shades of grey into any ‘advice’ they may give, instead of the fairly black & white, ‘I do it like this’ or the even worse ‘you should do this’

3 Likes

There must be some kind of misunderstanding. My advice was offered in good faith. I don’t understand where is the offence.

I have seen many discussions in these forums and I have noticed that individual circumstances indeed vary greatly from one individual to another. This is how it is. Based on your original post you seem to be doing a good job at identifying your own problems. I encourage you to trust yourself. If you want to know how others are doing this is fine too. But be aware that what works for them will not necessarily work for you. You are the ultimate arbiter of what is good for you.

12 Likes

I think the general advice is to start kaniwani when your burns start coming in. Most people do kaniwani only on burned items.

9 Likes

If you keep reading, watching, listening Japanese stuff the vocabulary should stick with only light SRS.

My English vocabulary was a lot thinner 10 years ago, but I never once SRS’d English words.

2 Likes

I started it back when it started but what frustrated me were the times when there were identical meanings for different words. You’d never know which one it was looking for. I haven’t done it since.

3 Likes

I felt the same way, so I dropped KW for now. I still do some anki SRS apart from WK, but sometimes it feels like a burden too, especially now, when I stared reading manga. I guess sometimes we need to reevaluate our approach and decide what is best for us. SRS is beneficial, but if you don’t have any time left for other things like studying grammar or consuming native content, probably it takes too much time. It is up to you to decide what is best for you: drop some of your activities, proceed at a slower pace or something else. It all depends on you personality, priorities, goals etc.

1 Like

If you’re reading manga regularly, or any other regular reading, you would be less likely to need something like kaniwani to remember vocabulary because you would encounter the words often. It would be even better, because it would be in context.

2 Likes

Oh, I do that too.
My memory, is not that good.
A lot of words I don’t encounter often enough to memorize in the long term, and then when I finally see them again, I forget what it means half the time. Only 25% if I SRS. :wink:
Also having to remember it enough to input it rather than just recognizing it when seeing it. Totally different skill set, sometimes.
Honestly what helps the most is when I hear the same word, with emphasis, like 200 times in a very short time span. That’s the only way I seem to learn new words ‘naturally,’ and the most reliable. But it’s usually some pretty random stuff that a certain anime or a video game will use repeatedly. Like つかいま。Or よくぼう. Or にんしき。

2 Likes

I was having the same experience around level 10, so I set it to not review items below Guru level on KaniWani. This made a big difference to me in being able to keep going and managing the time commitment, because I was no longer getting hung up on new vocabulary that I just learned on WaniKani. Balancing both feels much more comfortable now.

I should add, though, that for me this is about practicing Japanese recall only. If you are using it to identify kanji for writing practice, then it’s possible that capping it so your reviews are drawing from your newly learned Apprentice items on WaniKani, and ignoring more deeply learned items at Guru and above, might actually be better for you.

2 Likes

I have been doing that since I started Kaniwani for the reasons you describe. It helps reduce the time commitment but I find that this is still an annoying time sink (over 100-150 reviews per day). I am OK with it but OP is concerned about time so maybe this solution might not work for them as well as it works for us.

1 Like

The tips to set a ceiling of Apprentice or a floor of Guru/Enlightened are really good ideas, thanks, I’ll try them!

@prouleau wasn’t any offense, I just thought you put that disclaimer because you thought I would be offended if you somehow are able to do kaniwani when I’m not. But naturally this varies per person, as you said.

2 Likes

There’s definitely some experimentation to be done here. I’m also considering “silencing” reviews of similar or just uninteresting words on kaniwani. I would not be ok with a daily 100-150 KW right now, definitely not. That’s what I’m moving away from.

But I still need to test the mechanics. What does it mean to set a floor of Guru, exactly? Does it mean that hwen you reach wanikani Guru, you are allowed to start a Kaniwani word but it still starts from apprentice and goes through its kaniwani SRS stages?

Or does it also set the kaniwani SRS stage to Guru?

1 Like

I am happy that the misunderstanding has been cleared.

In the settings, here.

kaniwani

The reviews in kaniwani proceed normally from kaniwani apprentice to kaniwani burned as usual. But the reviews do not occur at all if the WK stage is not within the limits.

This exactly.

This seems feasible. There is a Suspend Review button in each item page in kaniwani. I have never tried it so I don’t know how well this works.

This seem to be a manually intensive process. You have to suspend the words one by one. Suspending a word is laborious. You will have to go in the vocabulary tab, locate the level for each word and then click on the kanji icon for the word to get to the suspend button. The kanji are listed by icons in no particular order. You have to look at each of them one by one to find out the one you need. If you don’t recall the level or kanji you are stuck unable to reach the suspend button.

I am not sure if you can suspend enough words to make a large enough difference in the workload though. It is a lot of work to try this out on sufficiently many words and in the mean time you are still overloaded with reviews.

1 Like

This may not actually mean anything to the problem, but, keep in mind that what happens in Kaniwani also applies to Wanikani.

If you miss items in KW, it will reduce or -I assume- increase the level they are at in WK.

It happened to me… I missed some and they got re-introduced into my review list on WK.

So if you dont remember your vocab, it may hurt you later.

There must be some kind of mistake. KW does not provide any kind of feedback to WK. If you miss an item in KW it cannot influence how the item is handled in WK because there is no feedback.