Writing practice but graded

I am sure that having these many resources, it’s not that hard to get some practice for reading. But I’d like to now start some coordination between my brain and hand. I mean, I want to be able to write quickly in Japanese as I am in English. Obviously its not a day’s work.
It would be great if I wrote little everyday.
But I am not sure as to what to write(pretty lame I know)
The bad part is, I tried to write something generic, like what I did today or something, but that would involve those kanjis which I haven’t studied yet.

Any suggestions as to what to write?
Or anyone knows something like a graded stories which I can just write down?

When Japanese kids in school haven’t learnt a kanji yet, they just write it in hiragana instead. That’ll help to get your hiragana writing speed up too. :slightly_smiling_face:

You’re free to write about literally anything that interests you.

2 Likes

By “Writing practice but graded”, do you mean you want a knowledgeable person to check your writing and give you feedback on it? Or are you looking for a practice system to follow that slowly increases in difficulty?

The latter. Since I won’t be writing on my own, I won’t need a teacher to verify. But, as you said, graded practice is good. I mean it need not be strictly in line with wanikani levels, rather in some order.

There are graded kanji practice books for Japanese schoolchildren. I’ve used them although you’ll want to practice writing even more separately. I recommend a small whiteboard for that. These are great and also have sentences that you can practice reading or rewriting. They don’t include translations of course, but it’s fairly intuitive. They go up to at least 6th grade, but I can’t remember if I’ve seen beyond that or not.

2 Likes

Thanks for this !

1 Like

Thank! I just ordered these. This should be a help to me, and they’re cheap.

1 Like

and @dunlewy sorry to you both, I don’t want you to be disappointed, but this listing is really overpriced and these books are quite thin. In Japan, each book sells for ¥100 or a little less than a dollar. $5 each is a ridiculous mark up. They are about 75 pages long, but have large font. I should have either checked the listing or just sent the picture. :sweat: My sincere apologies.

3 Likes

Hello,

I started very early to study kanji kentei and passed regularly tests. This is a good writing practice and a way to develop your vocabulary. Wanikani kanji order follows approximately the test order and this is very progressive at least until 5 kyuu. (I personally worked exclusively on past tests with 過去問題集 serie and I use an excellent app on iOS Kanji teacher focusing on the writing test)

Regards
Sebastien

It’s OK. It will still be good practice for a relative beginner.

1 Like

Do you mean this one? ‎Kanji Teacher - Learn Japanese on the App Store

Looks pretty interesting, have to try it out!

Hi,

I have heard of kentei. But I am not sure what it is. Is it a textbook series or an application? If it’s an application, is there an android alternative?

Best,

Is there an android alternative?

Hello,

kanji kentei is an official Japanese test (日本漢字能力検定試験) you can use to train with books or take the exam in many countries.

Here the sample page in official website:
https://www.kanken.or.jp/kanken/outline/degree/example.html

Sebastien

Hello,

I don’t think so. I also search a version for pc but I didn’t find any equivalent.

This tools is also well maintained and new interesting features continuously appeared since I started to use it. It is a very good complement to Wanikani for the writing part and vocabulary.

Sebastien

That’s great! Thanks for the help

I went through the site, but I didn’t find the books you were referring to. Could you please help regarding this?
Thanks
By the way, the sample tests are really cool. And I found an android version of that, namely, JLPT test.
Oh there is an android application for kanji kentei as well.

You should find it in google or amazon with this key word: 漢検 10級 過去問題集 平成30年度版 (here last edition year 30, level 10 ). You can find many kind of book on this test, I just find it more efficient to work directly on actual tests and checking how I progress from first to fifteenth proposed test. With this method I was able to pass a new level every 4 month (every session proposed in fact). I read some people directly jump to higher level but in fact, at least until 5級, every level is almost focus on the new ~200 kanji. It roughly match my reading knowledge from Wanikani. But the writing practice is really more complicated to me: the biggest problem is not really the writing ability itself but the capacity to remind a kanji from katakana and context.

Regards,
Sebastien

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.