WK Vocab - context sensitive learning?

do we have some kind of solution to learn vocab from WaniKani within the context of a sentence? I know WK provides context sentences, but they are too advanced and include kanji i haven’t learned yet. Looking for i+1 sentences based on WK vocab.

So far the only thing i could think of / (read about) is → Anki + morphman & Core10k deck + WK deck. Would prefer not to create a separate deck with the same content on Anki tho.

4 Likes

I’m not entirely sure what you’re asking for, but there is this little tool made by the creator of BishBashBosh that shows you sentences from Wanikani’s example sentences that only have Kanji you know in them. Depending on you grammar knowledge, it may still be hard to understand some sentences. If you are looking for a scirpt that shows the example sentences in context while reviewing Wanikani items then that exists somewhere, though I don’t use it.

http://jptools.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/wksentences.html

3 Likes

i want [quote=“gabruoy, post:2, topic:47862”]
’m not entirely sure what you’re asking for
[/quote]

I want to learn the vocab provided by wanikani within the context of a sentence. But those sentences should only include words and kanji i’ve already learned.

thank you for posting the link, already bookmarked it tho :slight_smile:

1 Like

No the context sentences do not match your currently level. It has always been a frustrating part of WK for me and I gave up on trying to read them a long time ago.

7 Likes

I’m glad I’m not the only one who ignores the majority of them. They are confusing, long, and full of Kanji I don’t understand. I try to read the sentences to understand maybe the definition or use of the word, since there are so many vocab with the same meaning. I try to see of there is a difference between the one I’m learning now and one I’ve already learned with the same definition, but the sentences usually don’t help me with that either. I don’t know. I wish they said when these words were used. If they all have the same meaning, then when would you use one over the other is my question? OR is this word 5he common word or maybe this one is older and less used, or maybe one is formal and one is casual…

5 Likes

I understand at earlier levels there are a lot of kanji people arent going to know but into the later 10s and 20s i feel like it should be doable. Not only with kanji but also with grammar. Why would i know certain advanced grammar that I haven’t seen in genki 1 or 2 when I dont know these beginner kanji? Of course there are people that do know these grammar points but most don’t. Maybe they are working on a fix, who knows. I dont have a lot of gripes with the website but the context sentences have always bugged me.

3 Likes

It’s not exactly what you’re looking for, but maybe it’s helpful anyways: There is a set of books that provides texts (from real sources afair) that contain only the kanji mentioned so far in the book (each section adds one kanji). Now of course they don’t stick to exactly the WK order, but in the grand scheme of things, it might still be useful.

Some screenshots

Volume 1 even seems to be free? If you can’t find it and are interested, I can have a look for it.

4 Likes

I use this plugin with Anki

https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1463753931

I have an Anki deck that contains all the WK kanji and the Core2000 deck. When I level up, I mark all the previous level’s kanji as known in the WK kanji deck and then run the Known kanji plugin against the Core2000 deck. Then I can use the sentences in the Core2000 deck and only see the kanji that I know from WK. It works great for me!

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation.

Not exactly what i’m looking for tho, i was hoping for something that integrates or is based on WaniKani, so i can learn the vocab properly.

So my best options seem to be:

• create them with anki + morphman.
  • use the Tango N5 MIA deck for anki
  • wait until i reach lvl 25-30 and start reading then and focus on grammar for now
1 Like

This sounds interesting, is there a reason you use “Known Kanji Plugin” over “Morphman”?

It’s really easy to use and it does exactly what I want it to do: give me only sentences with known kanji. I wanted to learn vocab that uses the WK kanji, both the vocab that WK teaches and other vocab that uses the same kanji but readings not taught in WK. I have used Morphman too, but I really like the Known Kanji plugin.

Maybe you could use both? First the Known Kanji manager to get rid of too advanced kanji, and then Morphman to sort the remaining cards i+1?

1 Like

Thanks, i’ll check out both (Known Kanji and Morphman) and try to set everything up and play around with it a little bit.

1 Like

do i only use vocab and sentences but not isolated kanji to feed Morphman?

It’s probably my biggest complaint of WK too since context sentences are so important when learning vocabulary. It seemed like there was far more focus on just amusing themselves when they wrote the sentences than actually having comprehensible sentences for our levels.

5 Likes

I look up the words I don’t know on Jisho (or using Yomichan in my browser) if I couldn’t piece it together from the translation of the example sentence by process of elimination (and half the time it’s the grammar and kana-only words that throw me anyway). That way, when I run into that word later when it comes up, there’s a chance of “oh, I’ve seen that before!” I’m sure it would be easier to have the context sentences only use known words, but can you imagine what sorts of sentences that would produce in the early levels?

1 Like

For me this kind of adds up though when you look at all the userscripts we have access to. Wanikani itself is great but basic quality of life things like an ignore button (which you find everywhere else) is not available from Wanikani. Of course it is very easy to install userscripts and a lot of people prefer not to have an ignore button but most improvements like these seem to come in the form of userscripts from subscribers rather than from Wanikani themselves.

1 Like

Looking up multiple words to understand a word within context isn’t really effective for me. My original complaint stems from really abstract sentences that they made to be funny. They’re not all horrible, but the majority just leaves me to not even bother looking at them anymore. I just use WaniKani for recognizing Kanji at this point and use Anki to actually study vocabulary.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.