WK items in Brainscape, a simplified flash card site

I started this project a year or so ago, but never finished it. Now that there seems to be a bit of interest, I figured it deserved its own post.

Want a quick way to start learning WaniKani radicals/kanji that you haven’t unlocked yet? Or perhaps there were some that you got wrong in your latest review session that you want to reinforce? Do you find Anki too convoluted? Then maybe Brainscape is for you!

Brainscape is a flash card site that lets you study any number of subjects that contain one or more decks. You’re shown the front of a card, and then after you see the back, you rate how well you knew the answer on a scale of 1 to 5. Lower rated cards appear more frequently, while higher rated ones appear less. You can study for as long or as short as you want; cards will keep coming as long as you keep clicking. The best way to understand how it works is probably just to try it out.

I’ve created two WaniKani sections in Brainscape: one for Levels 1-11 and one for Levels 12-60, each divided into one deck per level. Each level contains almost all its respective radicals, and all its kanji. Radicals are differentiated from kanji by the word “radical” in parentheses.

Disclaimer: This is not meant as a WaniKani replacement, but rather a supplement. None of the flash cards contain mnemonics, only the items and their meanings/readings.

FAQ
Q. Why are radicals missing from some of the decks?
A. Some of the WaniKani radicals are custom-made, and they appear in WK as images rather than as text that can be copied and pasted. Unfortunately, Brainscape doesn’t allow anything but text in the flash cards you make unless you have a paid subscription.

3 Likes

Thank you for doing this! I’m going to get started on lvls 10 and 11 soon!

The link for levels 1-11 is actually here:

Whoops, my bad. Fixed the original post!

I haven’t had a chance to add more cards to the 12+ deck because I’ve been sick the past week or so, but I hope to get back to that soon.

1 Like

Hey all, my WaniKani subscription is ending this week, so I finally buckled down and finished this up. All 60 levels are now in Brainscape! I also updated the links in the original post. As always, if you notice any errors, please let me know.

I’m a little sad to be saying good-bye to WaniKani, but now that I’ve reached level 60, I’ve gotten pretty much all I can out of it, so it’s about time to move on. Thanks to everyone who helped make this super-useful site possible!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.