"Skip Radicals"

Let me signup and give it a try before you go through the effort.

EDIT: This site is really cool though, I like the “knowledge rehab” packs. Good way to pickup and learn or relearn some stuff about a variety of topics.

I like this tool a lot! If you have time and want to update it, I’ll definitely use it.

Glad you like it! So far I’ve gone over the level 12 to 24 decks, and apart from a couple of radicals being added or deleted, there weren’t any differences between them and current WaniKani. I’ll keep going over them when I have a chance, but you can feel free to start using the early ones if you like :slight_smile: I’ve also marked the radicals more clearly.

2 Likes

I would definitely use it too! It seems perfect to make sure you keep refreshing your mind with the Kanji. WK is awesome but I have all the time in the world to study so using your decks would be a great tool.
Unfortunately, I’m still on level 4 :frowning: Not sure if you plan on adding lower levels.

1 Like

Just make some rules for yourself, studying apprentice before guru especially may hinder the SRS’ ability to help you retain information.

For example, I let myself study immediately after lessons before the first review, but never again after that first review is taken. With this deck that’s being revised, I might also allow myself to review anything that’s slipped back down to apprentice from guru as well. And of course, pre-studying stuff you haven’t reached yet won’t hurt.

1 Like

Makes sense! I feel that using a system like WK that pushes quality of your learning up + an anki system where it pushes to quantity would be great to improve my overall learning… but maybe I’m wrong xD idk.

1 Like

Yeah I’d definitely agree with others in saying that it makes no sense for you to use WK. You don’t use precisely what sets WK apart from other quality SRS apps. There is a WK mod/skin for anki so you can still get a similar feel, and don’t have to wait 4 days etc (and a lot more customizable).

2 Likes

I’m going to try some other tools, but WK has done a great job keeping me motivated, which is my biggest struggle, so I’ll gladly shell out $10/month even if I’m only using it as a vanilla SRS if other tools just don’t have the same effect.

That was a really long sentence… If anyone wants a challenge, translate that! O.O

1 Like

I was actually planning to add lower levels to the current list, but Brainscape is dumb in that it doesn’t let you change deck order. It would bug me to have lower levels out of order at the very bottom of the list, so I’ve started building one for levels 1-11: WaniKani Levels 1-11 (Radicals/Kanji) - Online Flashcards by Erin H

2 Likes

You’re awesome! I see you leveled up too, congrats!

Oh, worth noting is that I just found out Memrise has a lesson/class with all the wanikani vocab in it. Not sure if that’s your thing, but I thought it was cool :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haven’t tried it yet, so I’ll take a look, thanks!

link please!

Um, lets see… I use the mobile version, but I think this is it:
https://www.memrise.com/course/258519/wanikani-reverse-vocab/

If the site still works the same you could modify my joke nuke command to target only radicals. Maybe my changing the number 2 to 0 or something.

Yeah, it’s still the same. Radicals only version:

['lesson', 'review'].map(q => $.getJSON(`/${q}/queue?`, data => {
  if (q === 'lesson') data = data.queue;
  var i = data.length, str = '';
  while (i--) {
    str += data[i].rad ? `r${data[i].id}[]=0&` : '';
    if (str.length >= 1980 || (!i && str)) {
      $.getJSON(`/json/progress?${str}`);
      str = '';
    }
  }
}));

Though with the userscript above a cheater can still choose to at least look at them without having to answer.

2 Likes

Well, maybe it’s the leveling aspect that gives you that feeling. The levels are kinda arbitrary and just serve to break the content into chunks, but the game/level aspect is a big part of what gives people a sense of progression.

And I suppose if you still like the product and want to support the WK team, it’s noble enough to be subscribing for that. Though if it were me and that was my biggest factor, I’d probably just hop into another Tofugu product (unless you really specifically wanted to show WK some love, though I imagine that it’s not a big difference which product you use unless a certain service starts hemorrhaging).

Thanks for teaching me about template literals :slight_smile:

Since a few people in this thread expressed interest in it, I’ve officially resumed working on my Brainscape WaniKani decks and created a post about them: WK items in Brainscape, a simplified flash card site

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.