Radical only study, to make own mnomics when watching anime

Edit : There’s a WK deck for anki you can look up. I simply sorted in the anki client browser by “object” to find all the 480ish radical cards and moved them to a separate deck. now I’m gonna try and blast through all of them so I can create my own cards on the fly watching anime.

there is also heisig RTK anki deck for radicals , which I might download . it is only 217 radicals (wk has broken some of the radicals into smaller components) , but might be usefull since I’m studying chinese aswell.

Hey. tbh, I’ve had wanikani for a while, It helps but I find it hard to be interested. I’d like to venture into something abit more immersive , such as watching anime with english and jp subs simutaniously and creating my own anki cards for kanji using that. wanikani anime sentence is super cool atm, but i’d like to work my way slowly through an anime episode, get the kanji and meanings , get the audio on my phone - listen through when i want during the day, and rinse repeat. I’m just way more motivated to speak and comprehend rather than reading , that what gets me excited the most.

so, I was thinking of learning outside of wanikani , all of the radicals , so when I watch an anime I’l be able to quickly in my head create a mnemonic for new kanji and words, without needing to pause at each kanji, open wanikani, search the kanji, find the radicals it’s made of, create an srs card in anki, continue the episode…
any anki decks I can do that with? or with torii etc?

I use animelon to watch with both subtitles and hiragana, and yomichan to quickly get translation.

1 Like

There’s this list that @Belthazar kindly put together:

6 Likes

Just in case you want an updated list taking into account any new moves/etc., this script should help out:

1 Like

That’s cool! Might crack this into an anki deck today.

Just FYI you should avoid getting into the habit of using this as an abbreviation for Japanese. Use “jp.”

7 Likes

Oh, didn’t even notice. think I’ve heard “japs” said by american characters as an offence in samurai champooloo, dunno anything else about it lol

2 Likes

That’s exactly why you should avoid it

5 Likes

yes, I mentioned the samurai champooloo reference because he didn’t explain why avoid jap.
I think I’ve heard it in “Gran Torino” also now I’m recalling.
does that mean I am reincarnation of a ww2 US marine who fought Japan?

2 Likes

You clearly don’t hate Japan that much or you wouldn’t be in this far in WK

5 Likes

He doesn’t need WK at all. He can just use this:

うちかたをやめ
Cease fire!

ぶきをすてろ
Drop your weapons!

てをあげろ
Reach for the sky, pilgrim!

And my personal favorite:

ころさないよ
We won’t murder you.

:joy:

Aye, but my question is, is that how you want to sound like? I mean, unless you’re actually Clint Eastwood. :wink:

8 Likes

TBH, I am not exactly sure whether ja or JP is better, but the language code is ja-JP - ja for bigger group, and JP for regional.

But I think jap is more colloquial and less common.

1 Like

dont mind me and my obtuse reference>

2 Likes

The 3 letter one that’s not jpn is an English slur against Japanese people and that’s why it should be avoided.

5 Likes

I guess JPN is OK too.

2 Likes

Just going to leave this here for anyone unaware of the atrocities committed against Japanese-Americans during WWII including but not limited to concentration camps.

2 Likes

I am clint eastwood.

This post became interesting. Just to clarify, i’ve written jap because that’s just how ive written thus far. Realised it’s a slur after someone mentioned, started to recall examples afterward - this isnt a debate for using the term. ( though if someone has a good case speak up!)

Also from wikipedia :
In Canada, the term Jap Oranges was once very common, and was not considered derogatory, given the widespread Canadian tradition of eating imported Japanese-grown oranges at Christmas dating back to the 1880s (to the degree that Canada at one time imported by far the bulk of the Japanese orange crop each year), but after WW2 as consumers were still hesitant to purchase products from Japan[24] the term Jap was gradually dropped and they began to be marketed as “Mandarin Oranges”. Today the term Jap Oranges is typically only used by older Canadians.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.