Why doesn't it display the actual amount of review items?

It’s really frustrating to realize that the amount of reviews you need to get through are basically double the actual number shown, when you account for the fact that both the reading and meaning of each item only actually counts as one item. There should at least be an option to change the number to a more accurate amount of how many reviews you need to get through, with each individual review being counted as its own items. I have enough trouble finding motivation to get reviews done, I don’t need to be working on my reviews only to remember that that 1000 is actually 2000 I need to get through.

2 Likes

On the contrary, I think that smaller numbers are less demotivating than larger numbers. As you already know, there are only 1000 true items in your example, but you do have more than one review for each.

Does any other SRS platform allow this option? As far as I’m aware I haven’t seen any. Since this could be so easily implemented with a script, I don’t think the WK team would do it, but I won’t speak on their behalf. At any rate, have you considered requesting such a script in the API thread?

3 Likes

No, I haven’t requested there yet. And for me I find it more demotivating to have half the reviews shown.

1 Like

U could do 1000 reviews and have 1000 reviews left. You’d have done 0 items.

Yay.

6 Likes

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m talking about. It’ll feel like I’ve done 10 reviews but only a few items have been taken off.

1 Like

Also, Anki obviously shows you the actual number of reviews.

2 Likes

I never seen it from this perspective, because I’ve never had very large (> 200) review piles. I can see why this would make your progress in tackling a large pile less apparent now.

The number of reviews you need to do corresponds to the number of items. Each item has either one (Radicals) or two parts (Kanji,Vocab). If you do a review session and answer only 1 part of Kanji/Vocab and then end the session, you will still have to do 2 parts of that item on the next try.

So the number is accurate. Make sure to press a button to wrap up because it will give you second parts of the items you did the first part of during this sesion.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve look at it as “Items to be reviewed”, rather than “number of answers you need to give”.

4 Likes

I have about 1,200 “reviews” stacked up because I’ve been very busy with work and finishing up school recently, as well as putting aside my Japanese to focus on learning guitar and music, which means I’ve got around 2,400 actual items to get through. So yeah it’s pretty disheartening, and it also makes me really, really sad that I’m having to put aside my Japanese learning, which I love, to study music, which I feel I need to do.

No, that doesn’t mean it’s accurate, that just means it’s not counting by the actual number of items but by each idea/item and all its parts, which is not what I want.

Hey, you’ve reach lvl 25! You know how to be pation and persistent. I understand that the lack of progress is disheartening but you just need to keep calm and push through. It might take a week or more but keep it up! 頑張ってね!

1 Like

Doesn’t it limit the number of incomplete reviews to 10? So you’d have 510 reviews left max if you got everything right

or you could get everything wrong and have 1000 reviews left

It shows the actual number once you start your reviews in the little tray in the top right. … Because Radicals only have one side, it shouldn’t ever be exactly double, but less than that.

Also try not to think of it as separate reviews - you must know there are two parts to every word… They are linked together - the same as when you did the lessons.

1 Like

Yes… And no. Because as far as I understand you’re always working in a batch of “the latest 10 items”… So the remaining should be less than that (but not by much) but more like 420~490, depending on how many radicals were done…

A bit related without solving your original request:

When dealing with a large amount of reviews, I find it more motivating to use the reorder script to group the items so that reading and meaning always appear together. 1 item feels more like just 1 review instead of 2 that way if you know what I mean.

That and sorting by level so that you can focus on clearing one level after the other which is motivating too.

I think that is not something one wants to do regularly but since it helps helps with getting back to 0 it is a good compromise.

3 Likes

What are you talking about? It doesn’t show the actual number of items in the tray in the top right. And yes, I understand that each vocabulary/kanji item is made up of two actual items, what I’m saying is that each individual item should be listed when doing reviews.

It does!

My dashboard ^

The tray ^

… Hey never mind… it doesn’t anymore. I was so excited, I was going to make you a screenshot and circle it…

I’m not sure if that changed with WK’s recent redesign, or if an older version of the Reorder Script (or a different script altogether that I’ve forgotten about) does/did that.
Sorry. :confused:

I always thought of reviews being the reading and the meaning; never thought of them separately. The point of Wanikani is to be able to understand and read kanji, not one or the other, so a review includes both.

If you are getting to the point where you have hundreds or thousands of reviews I think you should use the reorder script and pick a number like 10, 25, 50, 100, whatever you want and do them in small chunks. If you are unable to consistently use Wanikani to avoid this then yes, it will seem awful when you have 1000 reviews.

You could always use a reorder script to make it so you only review half of each item

2 Likes