Why does WaniKani teach こう for 口?

I think I’ve only seen one word on WaniKani that uses the 「こう」reading for the kanji 口, which is 人口「じんこう」. The kanji showed up in my reviews today, I was gonna burn it but I forgot that WaniKani taught me 「こう」…

And if they taught くち in the lesson, even though it’s repeated like 20 times in other words, then there’d be just one mention of こう on the site.

Though they could just also add more こう words, like 口語 or 口実 or 口座 (I use that one a lot).

Maybe they will.

3 Likes

There are plenty of こう readings if you put [star]口[star] into jisho.org search bar

1 Like

I mean it is one of its on’yomi :thinking: the goal of WK is to be able to read kanji in the wild, and the こう reading will show up as well, so it’s still good to know regardless of how many words it’s represented by just on WK

Though, it should’ve given you an opportunity to re-input your answer, it shakes if you correctly input one of the kanji’s readings but WK is looking for another one (i.e. it should’ve shook and said it’s looking for the on’yomi)

3 Likes

It did… I just forgot that こう was a possible reading as well…

1 Like

Oh gotcha! Sorry I didn’t register that, I see that now in your original post :see_no_evil:

Well, it can feel discouraging to miss burn reviews but realistically I think it’s a good thing, now you have a chance to see it a few more times and make sure you really know its on’yomi before burning it for good ^^

2 Likes

Man I burned 人口 just a couple days ago and recalling that reading was a stretch. Thanks こういち and your nasty teeth, you saved me. Well, at least you saved me for that half. Then there’s the small matter of 人…

12 Likes

That reading is now burned in your memory.

3 Likes

I always wondered how to use jisho’s search like this, bless you :pray:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.