Why do many Horizontal strokes raise slightly to the right?

Hello fellow learners! I am being very particular about studying how to write properly. I am an artist by trade and will want to study official Japanese calligraphy in the near future, so the details are important to me.
I noticed that, often, the horizontal strokes are not straight, but rather slightly lifted to the right.
Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 10.11.39 AM
Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 10.11.57 AM
Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 10.12.20 AM

Does anyone know the history or reason as to why this subtle imperfection occurs? Many thanks!

3 Likes

This is a guess: That’s a hand writing font and most folk are right handed? …so thats how they normally look when wrote by a right-hander? 右手

7 Likes

Precisely. Same as English letters are “supposed” to slant slighty to the right.

2 Likes

Also just a theory, but aiming for perfectly horizontal is hard and usually looks at least a little off. I think in handwriting I find it easier with a small slant.

2 Likes

Another thing to note is the slight inwards angle on a lot of verticle strokes, like on 五 in your picture, or here:

It’s important to note not every single verticle stroke is angled, you will pick up on where you should do it with practice:

3 Likes

Ok! Thanks for all of your input. I just wanted to make sure if I do use a straight horizontal stroke (in the sort of cases in my examples), it would be acceptable and not seen as bad handwriting.

1 Like

Yeah! I have noticed those slight inner angled strokes! Those seem more intentional and obvious to me so I didn’t question them. It has just been those minorly off-center horizontal strokes that keep my brain wondering.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.